What are the sports councils?
• The original Sports Council was founded in
• Today we have 4 independent sports councils.
• Issues to be dealt with at UK level are the
responsibility of UK Sports Council.
• There are also councils in Wales, Scotland and
Northern Ireland as well as England
• All home country sports councils work in a
What does UK Sport do?
• UK Sport deals with high-
performance sports at the UK
They aim to achieve sporting excellence by:
1. Gives full support to our world class performer.
2. Extends the UK’s international sporting
3. Encourages the world’s majors sporting events
to come to the UK.
4. Promotes ethical standards of behaviour &
provides an anti-doping programme.
Who pays for UK Sport?
• The government gives an annual grant.
• The National Lottery
What is UKSI?
• United Kingdom Sports Institute.
1. Sports Science
4. First Class Facilities
For elite sportspeople, teams and their coaches.
What do they do?
They aim to lead the development of sport in
England, there 3 objectives are:
1. More people involved in sport.
2. More place to play sport.
3. More medals through higher standards of
Who pays for Sports England?
Sports England gets there funding from:
1. The government gives a grant to each
2. Commercial activities.
3. It distributes National Lottery money.
National Governing Bodies
• What are the national governing bodies of
• What do the national governing bodies
• Who pays for the national governing
How is Sport England trying to
involve more people in sport/
• Active Schools
• Active Sports
• Active Communities
How is your local club run?
• By a committee – elected by members to
run the club
• What do the follow people do?
Treasurer Secretary Coach
Fixtures Secretary Membership Secretary
Local sports clubs are for the
Local sports clubs deal with:
What are the 3 main types of
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.