This year, eMarketer estimates that nearly 126 million people in the US will play a game on their
mobile phone at least once a month. Additional mobile game estimates include:
– 103.6 million smartphone users will play games at least monthly this year, up 23.7% over 2012.
– By 2016, more than 80% of smartphone users will game on the devices.
Facebook plans to test a new payments product that would allow online shoppers to make
purchases on mobile apps using their Facebook login information.
– The product would allow any shopper who has previously provided Facebook with their credit card details to make purchases
on partnering e-commerce mobile apps without entering billing information.
Mobile Trends (Cont.)
A new Nielsen study discusses the mobile shopper’s journey from the initial research and
discovery phase at home, to making a purchase in a retail store, and the final mobile activities
that take place back at home again. Study observations include:
– While shopping on their mobile devices, tablet owners are more active with product research (59%) and are more likely to
purchase physical items (38%) than smartphone shoppers (24%).
– 95% of tablet shoppers and 72% of smartphone shoppers who make a purchase with their device do so at home.
– 20% write comments on social media and 16% use their tablets to write reviews of their purchases.