2013 Perforce Collaboration Tour - Procter & Gamble
Continuous Delivery with Postmaster
Perforce enabling creation of 3D visualizations more
quickly, effectively and collaboratively.
Postmaster, and our Business Goals
What’s Next for P&G and Perforce
176 Years of Growth
P&G celebrated a milestone in 2012
that very few companies have achieved:
its 175th anniversary.
The Company was founded in Cincinnati in 1837 by William Procter
and James Gamble a candle maker and a soap maker who started
a small business that has grown into one of the world’s most
admired companies and includes brands that have become
household names, used and trusted by consumers every day in
nearly every part of the world.
Today, P&G is the world’s largest and most profitable consumer
packaged goods company.
P&G at a Glance
Countries of Operations
Countries Where Our Brands Are Sold
Consumers Served by Our Brands
2012 Revenue: $83.6B
Not just a marketing
Over 1300 Employees
working in Information
and Decision Solutions
IT Development and
Operations is a $1B
• Global network of Artists and colleagues
transferring large 3D visualizations via
– Often sending the whole visualization. L
– Non-systemic stewardship and
– No revision history!
P&G: Improving Productivity and
Creating a Cost Savings Culture
These productivity plans were
introduced in FY 2012 to help
P&G finance top-line growth,
ensure our consumer value
propositions are superior,
overcome macro headwinds and
deliver better bottom-line growth.
COST OF GOODS
A day in the life of Postmaster…
• Many 3D Visualizations.
• Many Clients, Project Managers, Artists
• Many Things-that-can-go-wrong. J
• Postmaster is a platform to create and
collaborate on 3D visualizations through a
simple UI, the “Dashboard.”
• It is designed to reduce the time, effort and
space required for large visualizations.
– Optimized File Transfers / Replication
– Status Tracking
Continuous Delivery w/ Postmaster
• Start Fast
– Automatic Workspaces and Access
– Branch Map Critical Files/Assets to Get Started
– Explicit Team
• Collaborate Globally
– Easy Check-out and Check-in
– Send Changes Only
• Submit Shelved Files - the fun never ends!
– Project History with Comments
• High Quality and Easy Support
– A working presentation is always a version away!
– Automated Visualization Updates
– Support Team can review defects with real assets…
Unique Challenges of Postmaster
• Shipping large projects around the globe!
– 20-60GB. Thousands of files.
– Not Code. 3D Assets.
• Variety of Contributors: Clients, Managers,
– Easy Version Control FOR EVERYONE.
• Controlling access to specific content.
• Versioning all file types…
• Flexible API
– Build custom version control workflows
– Out-of-the-box replication
– Redundant Array of Content
– Proven examples exceed our usage plans
• Well Adopted and Supported
– Strong support network in the 3D industry
– Strong technical support to help us get started
Delivery and Quality Improvements
• Dramatically faster.
– Changes in minutes/hours, not days.
• More flexible.
– Decreased iteration cycle = more iteration.
• Always on.
– Redundant Network of Content Servers
– Easy access to approved visualizations, even
if someone overwrites a new version!
• Continuing with Perforce Consulting to
– Continuous Deployment: shelve to submit
– Asset Management: better search and
reapply with metadata and p4 attributes
– Build Automation: centralized processing
with p4 triggers