Access control rules
• Remember: Access control rules need
• To be implemented
• To be communicated to the readership
• Keep it simple if possible
• People don’t pay for things they don’t
• Some newspapers have existing
subscription management software that
• Those who do not might face a more
Typical paywall project
• 9 months long, 3-12 month range
• Business side typically uses 3-4 months to make
up their mind :-)
• Our implementation costs are in the €7-25K
range and typically spans 2-4 weeks.
• New, creative models add time and cost
• (Norwegian newspaper tend to be very
1. Complex projects
2. SaaS paywalls might not cut it (bias)
3. Consider scalability (bias)
4. Access control & security is hard
5. This might be the time for devops
6. Testing becomes harder
7. Statistics is different
8. Payment is easy
9. Subscription management
Clock mechanics, http://www.ﬂickr.com/photos/45810363@N04/4835327934/in/photostream/
Munch, The Scream.
The rest are bought of Shutterstock
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.