1. Pensoft Writing Tool PWTLyubomir Penev, Teodor Georgiev, Jordan Biserkov, Pavel Stoev Pro-iBiosphere Workshop, 11-15 February 2013, Leiden ViBRANT
2. One more new tool? Why? http://pwt.pensoft.net
3. … and some hundreds millions pages of biodiversity literature in various languages
4. Estimated ca 1.8 Mio articles per annum, not counting the grey literature!
5. The solution?http://pwt.pensoft.net
6. Upfront mark up!
7. What is Pensoft Writing Tool? http://pwt.pensoft.net
8. PWT is: A collaborative article authoring and publishingplatform for biodiversity science
9. The missing link!It completes the cycle from writing a manuscript, through its submission, peer-review and editing, to publication and dissemination. And all this within a single online collaborative platform!
10. It provides: - templates for different kinds of biodiversity articles - links to external resources- various options for data publishing
11. The mark up is template-based and done by the author(s) during the writing process! Authors know best the specifics of their texts and data The upfront markup will be done at no additional effort for them!
12. The PWT will serve as a gateway for the Biodiversity Data Journal
13. Authors and Contributors Contributors (mentor, linguis c editor, copy editor, poten al reviewer, colleague/friend) Con trib u ng ite Inv Manuscript ready to submit Taxon treatment Template- based Interac ve key manuscript Checklist AuthoringLead author crea on Data paper Inv ite ing hor Aut Co-authors
14. Peer-review and publishing XML PENSOFT JOURNAL SYSTEM submission (PJS 2.0) PWT COMMUNITY , OPEN, PUBLIC Revisions PEER-REVIEW onlineAuthors, Reviewers, Editors, Mentors,Copyeditors MANUSCRIPT PUBLISHED (XML TEXT + DATA) Biblio- Occurr- Taxon namesARTICLES ence data Taxon treatments graphies Wiki COL Plazi
15. Article templates
17. Add author
18. Taxon treatment preview
19. Construction of key
20. Manuscript preview
21. PWT The candidate for authoringand publishing of online Floras and Faunas? 10 good reasons for that
22. 1. Publishing of single taxontreatments and nomenclatural acts NO need to wait to complete a revision
23. 2.Assembling treatments into regional Floras/Faunas
24. 3. Online collaboration between authors, editors, reviewers, publisher at all stages Track changes and Comments toolsRevision history and comparison of versions
25. 4.Manuscripts are automaticallyformatted during the writing processAvoids layout stage, decreases costs and efforts!
26. 5. Biological Codes andDawrinCore compliant
27. 6. Automated import oftreatments from Scratchpads and author’s own databases
28. 7.Various modes of publishing data and multimedia
29. 8. No installation! Just register and go!Browser-independent!
30. 9.Marked up text and data re- used for new projects
31. 10.NO Author Guidelines! The tool guides you!
32. PWT is free to use!
33. PWT + Pensoft Journal System (PJS) +Pensoft Markup Tool (PMT)+ Pensoft Dissemination Tool (PDT) will provide publishing environment for virtually allelements of he future Biodiversity Knowledge System
34. Courtesy Rod Page, http://iphylo.blogspot.com/2013/01/megascience-platforms-for-biodiversity.html
37. iTaxon (courtesy RodPage)
39. Plazi.org (courtesy Donat Agosti)
40. Pensoft Taxon Profile (PTP)
41. Thank you for your attention and… welcome to PWT! http://pwt.pensoft.net ViBRANT