1. Overcommitted?Become a Good Steward of Your TimeA Biblical Approach
2. OverviewOverview Asking the Important Questions. Scripture on Overcommitment. Formation and Transformation. What and Why Resources Strategies. Mary as a Model ?
3. Opening Discussion:Opening Discussion: Asking the questions:Can we have it all?Can we do it all? Sheryl Sandberg -Sheryl Sandberg -Chief Operating Officer, FacebookChief Operating Officer, Facebook
4. Opening Discussion:Opening Discussion: Asking the questions: Should we have it all? Should we do it all? Lisa Brenninkmeyer -Lisa Brenninkmeyer -Founder and Co-chairman ofFounder and Co-chairman ofWalking with PurposeWalking with Purpose
5. From Topical Bible: Romans 12:1-21, Exodus 18:13-23, Genesis1:1-31, 1 Peter 5:8, Titus 2:4-5, Ephesians 6:12, Ephesians 4:1-32,Galatians 5:22-23, 1 Corinthians 13:1-13, 1 Corinthians 12:1-31,Psalm 23:1-6, Ephesians 5:18, 1 Corinthians 7:1-40, 1 Corinthians4:2, Romans 8:1-39Scripture on Over CommitmentScripture on Over Commitment
6. Galatians 5:22-23 “But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace,patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control;against such things there is no law.”Scripture on Over CommitmentScripture on Over Commitment
7. Genesis 1:1-31 “And God said, “Let there belight,” and there was light. And God saw thatthe light was good. And God separated the lightfrom the darkness. God called the light Day, andthe darkness he called Night. And there wasevening and there was morning, the first day.”Scripture on Over CommitmentScripture on Over Commitment
8. 1 Peter 5:8 “Be sober-minded; bewatchful. Your adversary the devilprowls around like a roaring lion,seeking someone to devour.”Scripture on Over CommitmentScripture on Over Commitment
9. Overcommitted?Overcommitted?Become a Good Steward of Your TimeA Biblical ApproachWhat do you think?
10. Getting it TogetherFormation and Transformationvs.Education and Information
11. Getting it TogetherA “Kinda” Integrated Formation for Living aA “Kinda” Integrated Formation for Living a““Somewhat” Integrated LifeSomewhat” Integrated Life (John Paul II)(John Paul II)
12. Formation –Formation – What and WhyWhat and WhyJohn Paul II, “Pastores Dabo Vobis” (or “I Will Give YouShepherds”) You can’t do it all, You can’t do it all time time, You can’t do it perfectly....(ever) Timing: A continual process of maturation.Purpose: Discover vocation and mission.
13. Formation –Formation – What and WhyWhat and Why Stress and Overcommitment: Not sustainable Takes toll on what is really most important Balance in Culture That: Ministry (church) and business Worships busy-ness as sign of success Looks down at balance as laziness Leaders: Focus on changing culture “below” them Measure results and not time invested Change their own behavior.Michael Hayatt fromMichael Hayatt from“Intentional Leadership.”“Intentional Leadership.”
14. Resources:Resources: Overcommitted? Podcast by Michael Hayatt from“Intentional Leadership.” Boundaries, When to Say Yes – When to Say No(Dr. Henry Cloud & Dr. John Townsend) Boundaries for Leaders, Results Relationships andBeing Ridiculously In Charge (Dr. Henry Cloud &Dr. John Townsend)
15. Still, work to be done...Still, work to be done...Eucharist +Formation =Redemption
17. Discovery – Vocation and MissionDiscovery – Vocation and MissionLegionaries of Christ:Personal PrayerCommunal PrayerVocation“Apostolate"
18. Discovery - Vocation and MissionDiscovery - Vocation and Mission“I Will give You Shepherds” Human (You) Intellectual (You) Spiritual (You) Pastoral (Them)
19. 8 Strategies8 Strategies Accept Responsibility for YourCalendar Decline Negotiate Move deadline Confront Fears Disappoint Miss opportunity Getting fired Reduce Drama Need for significance ? Do “next – important” task Keep it in Perspective A “season” This too will pass “All will be well”
20. 8 Strategies8 Strategies Triage the Calendar Build in “white space” Negotiate Ask for extension Delegate Matthew 6:34 Don’t worry about tomorrow Sufficient for today are theconcerns of the day Get Sufficient Rest Chose rest over other priorities You are not being lazy Decide to change Everyone want more of you You build margin into life Establish, and enforce, boundaries.
21. A Feminine Genius ?John 2:1-11Mary as a Model
22. A Feminine Genius ?A Feminine Genius ?Each unique - Not comparing women to men.Not about power sharing.Collaborative and complementary.
23. A Feminine Genius ?A Feminine Genius ?Stealth Weapon in the 21 Century?“Known but forgotten truth.”“Vocation, influence, power and effect not yet realized” (Vatican II)
24. A Feminine Genius ?A Feminine Genius ?Keeping world from falling over the cliff.“Receptivity, sensitivity, generosity, and maternity.”
25. Overcommitted?End of Presentation ...End of Presentation ...Become a Good Steward of Your TimeA Biblical Approach