History of Pendleton SC (c.1790)

3,291 views

Published on

Pictorial time line of the the history and evolution of Pendleton, SC, one of the oldest towns in the Upcountry SC. Pendleton was the home of John C. Calhoun and once a summer resort for the wealthy folks of Charleston.

Published in: Travel, Education
0 Comments
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • Be the first to comment

  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
3,291
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
16
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
6
Comments
0
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide

History of Pendleton SC (c.1790)

  1. 1. History Of Pendleton, SC Time Line & Pictorial History Leadership Pendleton 2013 Class
  2. 2. On the Frontier
  3. 3. On the Frontier 1777 Indians who sided with British during Revolution vacated most of their lands in SC upstate after major defeat to the patriots. 1785 Signing of Peace Treaty at Treaty Oak with Cherokee, Choctaws and Chickasaw officially ceded their lands in South Carolina
  4. 4. The Evolution of Pendleton District 1785 The previous six colonial judicial districts were divided into counties and much of the recently acquired Cherokee lands became part of Ninety Six District. 1788 South Carolina officially became a State. 1789 The previous Indian lands were divided into two counties, the western 1,870 square miles became Pendleton County and the eastern portion became Greenville County. 1791 Pendleton and Greenville Counties became part of the new Washington District with Pickensville as its court house town. 1800 Due to increasing population, Pendleton County became its own District with the village of Pendleton as its judicial center. The 1800 census for Pendleton District was 20,052 including 2,224 slaves making it the fourth most populous district behind Charleston, Beaufort, and Colleton Districts. 1816 The last of the Indian lands in the NE corner of the State were added to the Pendleton District increasing it to 1,940 square acres.
  5. 5. Founding of Pendleton 1789 Commissioners selected to establish the new Pendleton County court house town purchased 885 acres from Isaac Lynch, located in the center of the new Pendleton county at the intersection of the roads leading to Cherokee and Catawba territories and just south of 18 Mile Creek. 1789 Samuel Loftis, Pendleton County’s first Sheriff and a commissioner built a 2- story brick building on lands that later became known as Ashtabula Plantation. John Miller, a commissioner and printer, built his house in the site selected for Pendleton village. His house is no longer standing. 1790 Village of Pendleton formally laid out with 55 town lots . A temporary log courthouse was built N. of the current public square. Land sale listed in Deeds Book A, Page 1. 1793 First mercantile firm of Wadsworth, Turpin and Steele established in Pendleton by Wm Steele on S. side of public square, now location of Village Baker Cafe. Steele was Pendleton’s first postmaster with the post office in his store. Lowther Hall, one of oldest house still existing in downtown Pendleton, built by Wm. Hunter. 1800 Low country planters first began purchasing land in area for speculation
  6. 6. Andrew Pickens Pendleton’s Earliest Settler 1785 Gen. Andrew Pickens. One of earliest settlers in the area, built a large log house on 573 acres along Seneca River and established Hopewell Plantation. (Now on Clemson University property in Pickens County) 1789 Pickens founded Hopewell-Keowee Presbyterian Church in Pendleton County (now Pickens County) close to his plantation. The building was a wood structure that burned during 1790’s. Pickens designated a county commissioner to assist in establishing Pendleton Village. 1802 Hopewell Presbyterian Church, now known as the Old Stone Church, was completed replacing the previously burned wooden church structure. 1805 Andrew Pickens vacates Hopewell to move to Tomassee since Pendleton Village was become “too populated”. Left Hopewell to his son.
  7. 7. Pendleton’s Early Growth as Courthouse Town 1807 Inauguration of Miller’s Weekly Messenger (John Miller, Publisher), westernmost newspaper in the nation at the time. Became the Pendleton Messenger after his death and later taken over by Fred. Symmes as publisher. 1807 A magazine, “ The Farmer and the Planter” began publication in Pendleton as well. 1810 - 1814 Many wealthy Charlestonians began building summer Plantations in Pendleton area to escape the fear that Charleston would be burned by the British in War of 1812 as well as for its healthy climate and opportunities for agriculture. Charleston society brought their culture and amenities with them creating a “elegant” upcountry environment. 1815 Pendleton Farmer’s Society founded, Thomas Pinckney first President (still in operation today)
  8. 8. Pendleton, Early Summer Resort 1815 – 1825 ~ 1810 1811  New permanent brick courthouse build on public square.  First jail built on public square  Circulating library founded with public money, operated until 1925. 1819 St. Paul’s Episcopal Church organized by new residents from the Low country 1821 New two-story brick jail built off the square on W. Queen St. (now a residence, Marshalsea) 1822 St. Paul’s Church sanctuary completed 1824 New larger Presbyterian Church built on E. Greenville St. to be closer to town, replacing the Old Stone Church. ~ 1825  Male Academy established on land where Town Hall and Anderson School Dist 4 buildings now located  Two hotels opened (Tom Cherry’s Inn and the Eagle Hotel)  Beyond the village lay the fairgrounds
  9. 9. Maverick Family in Pendleton 1802 Samuel Maverick was a successful businessman in Charleston in the mercantile business of Wadsworth, Turpin (uncle) and Maverick … married daughter of Robert Anderson in Pendleton in 180.2 1802 1809 Samuel Maverick built his summer plantation house “Montpelier” ~ 4 miles E. of town on 4,400 acre farm on site where Refuge Baptist Church now located (SC88). He made it his permanent home in 1809 after loosing a child to yellow fever in Charleston. House burned in 1848 and new larger house built on hilltop across SC88. 1809 Samuel Maverick bought mercantile business of Wadsworth, Turpin and Steele (on square) to become one of area’s wealthiest businessmen. 1810 - 1852 Samuel Maverick buys significant amount of land to become one of the largest landowners SC, AL and GA 1837 Son Samuel Augustus (Gus) Maverick moved to AL and then to Texas where he was a lawyer and politician.
  10. 10. “ If any American had wanted to lay his finger on the pulse of Southern public opinion between 1825 and 1850, he would have found no better place for that purpose than Pendleton, South Carolina.” . . . Margaret L. Coit “John C. Calhoun, American Portrait” Pendleton 1825 – 1850 The Acknowledged Center of Business, Government and Culture for Entire Upstate
  11. 11. Pendleton ~ 1826 Largest Town in SC Upstate
  12. 12. Pendleton’s Transition from Courthouse Town 1826 1828 New brick Courthouse begun on public square Before completion, the SC Legislature voted to divide Pendleton District into Anderson and Pickens Districts due to increasing population. Pendleton continued to serve as courthouse town until 1828 when the new courthouses completed in Anderson and Pickens. • New jail on W. Main St. sold and converted to Female Academy. • Courthouse purchased by Farmer’s Society as meeting hall. • Famer’s Society completed construction.
  13. 13. Agricultural Economy 1800-1835 Invention of workable cotton gin made upland cotton (short- staple) most cost effective cash crop in the Upstate. Beginning in mid-1830’s Low cotton prices and depletion of soil caused by one-crop farming causing many SC planters sons to move to new cotton lands further west (Alabama , Mississippi and Texas ). 1837 Panic of 1837 (depression) caused 850 US banks to close and rendered cotton and tobacco crops as well as paper currency worthless. 1825-1850 Since Anderson & Pickens Counties were settled much later than the southern Piedmont and Lowcountry, fewer large scale plantations were developed prior to the decline of cotton. As a result, Anderson County was less effected by the decline of the cotton industry.
  14. 14. Agricultural Economy 1840 - 1850 Anderson County was second largest producing county for wheat and also produced rye, oats, corn, cotton, potatoes and livestock as well as butter and cheese, flax, silk, honey and beeswax Wealthy Charlestonians continued their summer migration to Pendleton and the local population continued to grow. There were about 20 small plantations in the Pendleton area each employing about 30 slaves making the Pendleton area one of the largest concentration of black slaves in the Upstate. No farm employed more than 70 slaves.
  15. 15. John C. Calhoun in Pendleton  In 1826, after a long sojourn in Washington City, then Vice President John C. Calhoun choose to buy a farm in the Pendleton area to revitalize his career in SC politics and because of the area’s good climate and agriculture.  Calhoun presence in Pendleton from 1826 – 1850 gave Pendleton a significant standing in the political arena leading up to the Civil War.  John C. Calhoun was Vice President of the US under Presidents J.Q. Adams and Jackson (1824 – 1832) and leading Senator from SC from 1832 – 1850 (Calhoun’s senate seat now occupied by Sen. Lindsey Graham).
  16. 16. Calhoun’s Nullification Doctrine 1826 - 1833 Calhoun set the stage for the session of the Southern States leading to the Civil War with his doctrine of Nullification. Calhoun formulated “Nullification” doctrine as a result of the Tariff Act of 1824 which imposed a tariff on the importation of European goods to protect the New England manufacturers from foreign competition. Since three-fourths of the South’s rice, cotton, and indigo was traded in Europe under a system of barter and exchange returning home with needed goods, the 50% increase in tariffs by 1818 on imported items needed in the South and the potential for European countries to impose a retaliatory tariffs would essentially eliminate its European market and force the South to sell to the Northern manufacturers at whatever price was offered or… change its industry base completely.
  17. 17. US Customs Tariff Tariff on imported goods was implemented in 1789 to generate income to pay Revolutionary war debts but continued to be the largest source of Federal income until income tax enacted in 1913. Initial duty rates were very low . . . 5 – 12% of value of imported goods. Evolved into a protective tariff and therefore a divisive issue setting New England, the Southern and the Western States against each other leading up to the Civil War.
  18. 18. History of US Tariffs 1816 First protective tariff on imports enacted to protect emerging US industry and designed to 1) develop profitable home market for US goods and 2) provide funds for internal improvements including the building of the Erie Canal. Customs Duty Rate = 20 – 25% of value of imported goods. 1824 Tariff duty rate increased to 37% of value of imported goods 1828 Tariff duty rate increased to 45% of value of imported goods – referred to as the “Tariff of Abomination” by Southern states 1833 Compromise Tariff reduced duty rates over 8 years (1842) to level of 1816 tariff 1842 Tariff duty rate returned to 32% of value of imported good essentially overturning the compromise tariff 1857 Economic “panic” – tariff duty rates reduced again to ~ 20% 1861 (early) Morrill Tariff Act increased duty rate by 5 – 10% bringing them back to levels of 1846.
  19. 19. Impact on South Carolina Economy  By 1840, SC no longer the leading cotton producing state as soil became depleted.  By 1850, Charleston no longer part of direct European trade route, became satellite of NY, Boston and Philadelphia ports as result of ever increasing protective tariffs.  Anti-business climate prevailed although 18 small textile factories including one in Pendleton emerged in the Upstate to compete with New England
  20. 20. Pendleton . . . A microcosm of South Carolina and the entire antebellum South Largest town in the Upstate by 1825 Pendleton was made up of Scots-Irish yeomen farmers employing both free labor and a few slaves and small local businessmen, artisans and manufacturers living comfortably, elbow- to-elbow, with wealthy planters employing slave labor on large farms . . . .
  21. 21. Pendleton 1830’s 1830 Charles Cotesworth Pinckney completed the house at Woodburn Plantation. He served as Lt. Gov. under Gov Hayne during nullification crisis in1832-33 1830 – 1834 James Butler Bonham practices law in Pendleton prior to going to Texas where he second in command at the battle of the Alamo. 1832 William Knauff, cabinet maker from Charleston, set–up shop on Duke Street, brought to Pendleton by Mrs. Calhoun. Famous Duel between Benj. F. Perry of Greenville Sentinel (Unionist) & Turner Bynum (Nullifier) on island in Tugaloo River during Nullification Crisis. Bynum mortally wounded, buried at St. Paul’s churchyard 1834 Pendleton Methodist Church founded 1835 Pendleton Jockey Club chartered with a race trace in fair grounds
  22. 22. Pendleton 1840’s 1838 Pendleton Manufacturing Co. incorporated as textile mill by Enoch B. Benson, W.H.D. Gaillard, and the Sloans (John T., Thomas M., Benjamin F.) located S. of town in what is now LaFrance. One of first in SC. 1840 Pendleton Methodist Church building completed (burned in 1939). 1842 Pendleton Baptist Church founded and church built (building replaced in 1951). 1848 Mrs. John C. Calhoun leads drive to raise funds to purchase a pipe organ for St. Paul's. Samuel Maverick’s house “Montpelier” burns and rebuilt.
  23. 23. Pendleton 1850 - 1860 1850 Second oldest commercial building still standing on public square build by Jesse Lewis as a store (now known as Hunter’s Store) 1850 John C. Calhoun dies in Washington, returned to SC and buried with great ceremony in St. Phillips’s churchyard in Charleston. The other members of Calhoun’s family buried at St. Paul’s Churchyard in Pendleton. Rev. John Adger, Presbyterian minister from wealthy Charleston family, buys and expands Woodburn Plantation. James T. Latta buys and expends Ashtabula Plantation. 1860 New Guard house (jail) and market house built on public square.
  24. 24. Blue Ridge Railroad Comes to Pendleton 1830’s Originally the dream of John C. Calhoun to connect SC via Pendleton District with emerging markets in the north. 1854 Construction finally begins on the Blue Ridge Railroad to run between Anderson and Knoxville 1858 Blue Ridge Railroad finished through Pendleton connecting Pendleton with Anderson via rail then points north and South from Anderson. 1859 Construction on Blue Ridge Railroad halted N. of Walhalla (Stump house Tunnel) by the high cost on construction (fraud, the high price of imported iron, lack of local engineering expertise) and the subsequent withdrawal of funding by the State.
  25. 25. Pendleton’s Railroad Depot Moved to Cherry St. and now Senior Center
  26. 26. Pendleton Village 1857
  27. 27. Plantation Houses and Antebellum Houses In Existence Today Ashtabula, Bee House, Benson House, Boxwood, Carver Randall House, Edans House, Elam Sharp House, Fort Hill, Gaillard House, Gallows Hall, Liberty Hall, Mi Casa, James Hunter House, Hopewell, Jenkins House, Lowther Hall, Magnolia Hall, Marshalsea, Montpelier, Poe House, Simpson House, Sitton House, Sleepy Hollow, The Glenn, The Retreat, Thomas Pickens House, Vine Hill
  28. 28. Edens House Located at corner of W. Main & Mechanic St.
  29. 29. Mi Casa c. 1830 - S. Mechanic St. (1902 with water tower in background)
  30. 30. Mi Casa today complete with water tower
  31. 31. Lowther Hall c. 1793
  32. 32. Lowther Hall Today
  33. 33. Liberty Hall, c. 1849 Built by Thomas J. Sloan as seen in 1969 before restoration
  34. 34. Liberty Hall Also known as Harris Hall
  35. 35. James Hunter House c. 1860 before restoration after 1929
  36. 36. James Hunter House Today
  37. 37. Jenkins House c.1830 Build by Dr. William Seabrook Jenkins (Cherry St. at Depot St.)
  38. 38. Built as blacksmith shop, c. 1840 Civil War Headquarters of Jones Rifles Located next to James Hunter House
  39. 39. The Glen c. 1830’s (MiCasa Dr.)
  40. 40. Sitton House c. 1854
  41. 41. Sitton House (prior to 1929)
  42. 42. Woodburn before 1970’s restoration
  43. 43. Woodburn c. 1830 US76, across from TriCounty Tech Moorhead Cabin 1810 and Adger carriage house (reproduction)
  44. 44. Ashtabula c. 1825 Old Greenville Hwy Original House c. 1789
  45. 45. Thomas Pickens House c. 1860 118 N. Elm St.
  46. 46. Rena Jones Clark House (c.1786) First Black woman to lead a Pendleton School (currently undergoing restoration)
  47. 47. Poe House, c. 1860 as it looked c. 1970 and currently 203 N. Elm St.
  48. 48. Marshalsea, c. 1821 Built as Jail then as a Female Academy & finally became a private residence L. 112 W. Queen St.
  49. 49. Boxwood, c. 1810 Built by Wm. Robertson, later owned By J.B. Earle and John T. Sloan
  50. 50.  Elam Sharp House c. 1802  Built by William Steel,  1st postmaster of Pendleton Located on E. Queen St
  51. 51. Benson House (on original site on E. Queen)
  52. 52. Benson House c. mid 1800’s Moved from E. Queen Street (site of bank bldg) to N. Maine in 1970’s for restoration
  53. 53. Benson House c. (only left portion original) Renovation /expansion never completed
  54. 54. Hopewell c. 1785 (Built by General Andres Pickens ) Off Old Cherry Rd. - Clemson
  55. 55. Montpelier c. 1849 - Built by Samuel Maverick Old Greenville Hwy, across from Refuge Baptist Church
  56. 56. The Retreat c. 1840’s Located on Danehower Rd.
  57. 57. Pendleton Area Plantations Houses and Antebellum Houses - No longer Existing Altamont, Altamont II, Alexander, Arcadia, Boscobel, Campobello, Chestnut Hill, Cherry Hill, Flat Rock, Cold Spring, Grumblethorpe Hall, Keowee, Long House, Mount Jolly, Mountain View, Oaklawn, Pepperino, Portman Shoals, Rivoli, Rossdale, Rusticello, San Salvador, Seneca, Shady Side, Silver Glade, Tanglewood, Tip Top, The Hive, Vacambrose, Westville, Wheatland
  58. 58. Hunter House c. Located at corner Of S. Broad & E. Main Burned
  59. 59. Altamont, c. 1830 Built by Thomas Pinckney (now gone) – Fant’s Grove Rd.
  60. 60. Boscobel c also known as Rockfield when owned by Samuel Prioleau Located in what is now Boscobel Golf Course On US 76.
  61. 61. Poplars c.1800 Later known as Pickens House Portoco added c.1830, originally had one-story porch. Located on Cherry St. Extension, burned
  62. 62. Tanglewood (burned 1970’s)
  63. 63. Ruins of Tanglewood today Burned in 1970’s
  64. 64. Seneca, c. 1845 on Seneca River (Now Gone)
  65. 65. Mount Jolly, c. 1795 (burned early 1900’s) Home of Taliaferro family (Simpson Farm, off Lebanon Rd.)
  66. 66. Lead up to Civil War Two of Most Significant Issues leading up to Civic War . . . . all of which impacted life in Pendleton:  Protective tariff’s on imports  Moral & Economic issue of “Slavery”
  67. 67. Pendleton - Civil War Years 1860 South Carolina succeeded from the Union, the first state to do so, setting the stage for the beginning of the Civil War. Pendleton’s population was 854 including ~50% slaves, larger than Anderson, Edgefield, Abbeville, Laurensville, and Hamburg. 1861 Many Charlestonians & residents of Columbia took refuge in Pendleton during war years since no conflict in the area. Blue Ridge House (hotel) in downtown Pendleton advertised in Charleston newspaper as alternative to popular Northern summer resorts and very accessible via Blue Ridge railroad The Adger family from Charleston acquired four plantations in Pendleton, Woodburn, Ashtabula, Boscobel and Rivoli as their war refuge. 1861-65 The bell at St. Paul’s would toll out the bad news when the train brought word of a local death. The bell was later donated to be melted down to make ammunition. May 1865 Sherman’s troops commanded by Gen. Geo. Stoneman came through Pendleton in search of Jefferson Davis and the Confederate treasury. (“Stoneman’s Raid”)
  68. 68. Pendleton – Reconstruction Years 1865 – 1871 Climate of terrorism existed across state and particularly in Upstate as white Democrats rebelled against government by Republicans and freed former slaves. Most of people who took refuge in Pendleton left after the war, many never to return. 1868 Thomas Green Clemson, in his capacity with the Farmer’s Society, begins advocating the establishment of an agricultural college to teach improved farming methods. 1870 A.M.E. Church established with church on Vance St. behind Hunter’s Store, replaced in 1957 by present A.M.E. King’s Chapel. James Hunter purchases Lewis’s store on town square which operates until new store built next door in 1929. 1873 Jesse Cornelius Stribling (Rossdale and later Sleepy Hollow farm) had first registered herd of Jersey cattle in SC and one of first in SE. – The beginning of SC dairy industry. Cattle continues to be Anderson County’s primary agricultural product. 1874 Silver Springs Baptist Church established at foot of Hunter’s Hill on old road to Clemson. New church built in 1926 on new road to Clemson. 1876 “Red Shirt” brigades from towns all over state supported Wade Hampton III election to Governor under the slogan “Force without Violence” that helped end reconstruction. 1877 One of last two states to be released from military rule under reconstruction
  69. 69. Pendleton at the End of 19th Century 1880 Hunter’s store wooden warehouse built behind Hunter’s Store (still standing) 1882 Jane Edna Harris Hunter, African-American activist and reformer, born on Woodburn Farm and later founded the Phyllis Wheatley Assoc. after moving to Cleveland, OH. Recognized by Ohio as one of its top 20 “Heroes”. 1889 Clemson Agricultural College founded under the terms of Thomas Green Clemson’s will and welcomed first class in 1893 including Gov. Tillman’s son. A. T. Smythe, member of Adger family & owner of Woodburn, was one of Clemson’s first Trustees and watched the building of the campus from Woodburn’s “widow’s walk”. Atlanta – Charlotte Air Line Railroad (now Norfolk Southern) built the main line to the NE through Seneca, and Central completely bypassing Pendleton thereby creating an economic development disaster for the town located only on a branch line connecting through Anderson. 1893 Present Presbyterian Church built on S. Broad St. Rev. John Adger delivered the last sermon at the old church and first at the new church. 1893 Blue Ridge Plant of the Pendleton Manufacturing Co. (textile co.) built on Blue Ridge St 1896 Clemson College fielded its first football team.
  70. 70. Pendleton Area - 1897
  71. 71. Pendleton in Early Twentieth Century 1907 April Fools day student “strike” by a large number of Clemson cadets in “drag” included a march to Pendleton resulted in the formation of the “Pendleton Guards” and an annual student event in Pendleton. Town of Clemson yet to emerge. 1911 One story addition to the Guard House, building later housed the Pendleton Library. 1920’s The high cotton prices, diverting land from food production and leading to a high cost of living, setting the stage for the devastating effects of the boll-weevil & great depression. 1929 SC28 Hwy through Pendleton widened, paved (formerly dirt), and rerouted in places impacting town square and frontage of historic structures in town. 1930’s Many of the large antebellum houses could not be maintained and became “apartment houses” for tenant farmers owned by absentee landlords and often housing 2-3 families. Tenant farmers flocked to the textile mills as boll-weevil devastated cotton crops 1935 Federal Government through Resettlement Act purchased 29,625 acres (about 150 farms) of worn-out, eroded farm land and leased it to Clemson College for their use and remediation. (Woodburn was included in this buy-out). Lands deeded to Clemson in 1954.
  72. 72. Pendleton – Post WWII 1947 - 1950 Pendleton town fathers persuaded Milliken to build their new finishing plant and later the Gerrish Milliken plant just outside Pendleton bringing jobs to Pendleton. 1950’s US76 Hwy improvement project bypassed downtown Pendleton, passing through Woodburn Farm instead, thus preserving its historic town square and character. ~ 1958- 1961 US Corp of Engineer’s Lake Hartwell project to dam the Savannah River and flood a proposed 9,000 acres of farm land, mostly belonging to Clemson College, did result in the flooding of the ruins of many of antebellum plantation houses along the Seneca River.
  73. 73. Town of Pendleton ~ 1950
  74. 74. Beginning of Economic Development and Tourism in 1960’s Foundation for Historic Restoration in the Pendleton Area (name later changed to the Pendleton Historic Foundation) founded by members of Clemson College Architecture Dept. and Pendleton Farmer’s Society to preserve Woodburn (owned by Clemson University) and other historic structures which were in danger of being lost. Ashtabula given to the Foundation for Historic Restoration by Mead Paper Company to preserve it and to serve as a house museum for the interpretation of local culture. Tri County Technical College founded with 300 students first year(1962) to help with economic development of Tri County area. Located in Pendleton along US 76 on former Woodburn Farm property.
  75. 75. Expansion of Tourism Clemson University deeds Woodburn to the Foundation for Historic Restoration for Restoration in the Pendleton Area. The Foundation for Historic Restoration begins a program to erect Historic Markers in the area beginning with (1) John Ewing Colhoun/Keowee on road from Clemson to Daniel HS (2)Hopewell/Hopewell Indian Treaties on Old Cherry Rd. Pendleton District Historical & Recreation Commission established by the SC Legislature to preserve the area’s history and to promote tourism in the Tri-County area. Foundation for Historic Restoration in conjunction with the Anderson, Greenville, Oconee, and Pickens Historical Societies hosts the Second SC Landmark Conference. The National Trust for Historic Preservation sponsors a tour of the Upstate and Pendleton as part of their annual meeting in Charleston.
  76. 76. Pendleton Historic District Established 1972 Pendleton Historic District, the largest in the US at the time, was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1972. Bounded on west by Hopewell and Treaty Oak, on east by Montpelier, north by Old Stone Church, south by town limits. Ashtabula and Woodburn were individually listed and opened as house museums.
  77. 77. Map of Pendleton Historic District 6,300 acres extending from Old Stone church to Montpelier (c.1969)
  78. 78. Description from National Register Nomination Form “The Pendleton Historic District derives its primary significance from the antebellum structures which reflect Pendleton’s early history. Also included in the district are some later 19th century structures which demonstrate Pendleton’s more recent growth and are, in appearance and feeling, compatible with the earlier periods.”
  79. 79. Revitalization of Downtown  Over the years, there have been many proposals to revitalize downtown Pendleton and take advantage of its historic character  Some have been accomplished, many not due to cost involved  Preservation ordinances recently established for downtown commercial area that will assist in seeking revitalization grants
  80. 80. Later Economic Development  Economic development in the area brought in Westinghouse & Michelin plant (Sandy Springs) and various Clemson Univ. facilities.  The historic “quaint” character of Pendleton continues to attract tourists and new residents.  Ashtabula and Woodburn Historic House museums attract ~ 10,000 visitors for tours, weddings, and special events.  Pendleton Spring Jubilee attracts ~30,000 visitors for a 2-day event
  81. 81. Pendleton 2010
  82. 82. What does the Future Hold?  Preservation of the historic district’s historic structures and environment must play a key role.  Use of these historic structures and environment to develop a route to sustainable economic growth
  83. 83. Pendleton Historic Foundation PHF plans to increase visitation at our historic houses from 10,000/yr to 20,000- 25,000/yr within 10 years.  By expanding our educational focus and offering monthly special programs and tours  By refocusing the use of Woodburn for use as a venue for weddings and similar guests sponsored events that include house tours
  84. 84. Weddings at Woodburn
  85. 85. PHF Historic Pendleton Program  Reinstating the famous Pendleton Historic House Tours in 2012 that were held annually or semi-annually since the 1950’s that were discontinued over 10 years ago.  Encouraging the Town to apply for Preserve America and Certified Local Government status to raise awareness and to make eligible for improvement grants.  Promote the historic downtown for unique tourist oriented businesses.
  86. 86. Promotion as Movie Set  Encourage use of town and historic houses as sets for movies  Developing documentary firm on Life of Jane Edna Hunter firmed at Woodburn and in Pendleton to be shown on ETV, History Channel, film festivals, etc. Promo of film on “YouTube” link below: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9ARDBA4zDA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
  87. 87. Pendleton’s Historic Markers  Erected in the 1960-70’s by Anderson county, Pendleton Historic Foundation, Pendleton District Commission and other groups.  The newest market for “The Hundreds” was installed with the last 2 years.  There are many historic sites in area yet to have a marker
  88. 88. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On E. Queen/ Town Square
  89. 89. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On Mechanic Street side of Town Square
  90. 90. Pendleton’s Historic Markers On E. Queen St. at N Broad St.
  91. 91. Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Church Yard
  92. 92. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Cherry Rd - Clemson
  93. 93. Pendleton’s Historic Markers St. Paul’s Churchyard
  94. 94. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Old Greenville Hwy
  95. 95. Pendleton’s Historic Markers US76 across from Tri County Tech
  96. 96. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Vance Street
  97. 97. Pendleton’s Historic Markers Located on West Queen St. In front of the Pendleton Community Center Commemorating Pendleton's Rosenwald School (burned) and the Faith Cabin Library
  98. 98. Hopewell Treaty Marker Old Cherry Rd., before crossing Lake
  99. 99. Pictorial History of Pendleton  Historic Downtown Commercial Areas  Churches, the Lifeblood of our Community
  100. 100. Hunter’s Store c. 1850 E. Queen St.
  101. 101. Hunter’s Store Today
  102. 102. Hunter’s Store early 1900’s
  103. 103. Hunter’s Store Warehouse, c. 1880
  104. 104. Farmer’s Hall (before 1928)
  105. 105. Pendleton Village Green, ~1880-1900 Guardhouse before front addition & Well house left
  106. 106. Guardhouse Today
  107. 107. E. Main St. (early 1900’s ?)
  108. 108. E Main, about 1935
  109. 109. E. Main St. 1960’s, Center Portion c. 1793
  110. 110. Exchange St. (1900-1920)
  111. 111. Exchange Street Today
  112. 112. Looking South on Mechanic St. Horse-trading Convention, 1910
  113. 113. 4th of July Parade (1905)
  114. 114. “Red Shirt” Reunion on Square (1896 or 1906’s?)
  115. 115. Smith Oil Co c. 1935
  116. 116. Pendleton’s early 20th Century Jail Vance St. - behind Hunter’s Warehouse
  117. 117. Keese Barn (antique barn & social hall) W. Queen St. (now gone)
  118. 118. Keeses’s Barn Memorial West Queen St.
  119. 119. Degan Faith Cabin Library
  120. 120. Faith Cabin Libraries  Rev. W. L. Buffington, Prof. of Sociology at Pine College in Augusta, GA proposed in the early 1930’s to build a small library by the side of every black rural school in Ga & SC.  First Faith Cabin Library was built in Edgefield SC in 1932 and in all 28 were built by black volunteers who asked their white employers to allow them to cut trees for logs to build the libraries – Rev. Buffington supplied the books.
  121. 121. Faith Cabin Libraries  Per their black builders : “We had nothing to go on but faith. That’s what built them all, faith, hard work and the generosity of thousands of people willing to share their books.”  The Degan Faith Cabin in Pendleton (c.1935) is one of the 2 last surviving examples in SC and was built next to Pendleton’s Rosenwald School (now gone).
  122. 122. Old Stone Church c. 1802 Burial place of General Andrew Pickens and Robert Anderson
  123. 123. Pendleton Presbyterian Church Old Greenville Hwy, c. 1824 Corner Mechanic& Broad Sts., c. 1893
  124. 124. St. Paul’s Episcopal c. 1822
  125. 125. Pendleton Methodist Church c. 1834, burned c. 1939 Rebuilt using original front stained class window, later enlarged
  126. 126. Pendleton Baptist Church c. 1843
  127. 127. King’s Chapel AME Church Congregation est. 1867 (original church building was on E. Main St.)
  128. 128. Silver Springs Baptist Church The newly restored 1874 church on Jackson St. (not active – used For events) The current Church On N. Mechanic St. c.1926
  129. 129. Aerial View of Blue Ridge Mill (1902)
  130. 130. Aerial View Baptist Church & Blue Ridge Mill (1902 from water tower at MiCasa)
  131. 131. Pendleton Blue Ridge Mill Today
  132. 132. Smythe Family at Woodburn The simple things made us happy back then…
  133. 133.  Non-profit, volunteer-run organization founded in 1960  Mission: An educational organization dedicated to the restoration and preservation of historic properties in the Pendleton area and the interpretation of the diverse history and cultural heritage of the area.  Programs:  Preservation of Ashtabula and Woodburn Historic Houses  Development and interpretation of these sites as major Upstate heritage tourism sites including living history demonstrations  Educational programs on our region’s contribution to the state’s and nation’s cultural heritage for both young and mature minds  Historic Pendleton & Historic Homeowners Assoc., a community outreach preservation program to provide education and assistance to owners of historic structures in the area

×