Content Management System (CMS)
Learning Management System (LMS)
Classroom for online students
Content / Information distribution
A closed system (but can be opened up too)
• As your school web presence
• Deliver Course Content
• Videos, Audio, PowerPoint
• Web links
• Distribute & receive assignments
• Tests & self-check assessments
• Facilitate group work
• SelfAssign plagarism checker
• Grade Center
Logging Into Blackboard & change password
Entering edit mode
Adding content & tools
Linking to other web sites
Enrolling students into your class
Customizing your course
Student & parent access
Direct link – http://bb.cornerstonesd.ca
From division website
– link under staff & students
Usernames – typically firstname.lastname
Initial passwords – 123
Sample accounts for today:
◦ teacher.1, teacher.2, teacher.3, etc.
If a Security Warning box appears, select RUN
Turn edit mode ON to make any changes to
your course (exception – using Control Panel)
Useful to turn edit mode OFF periodically to
see more accurately what students will see.
Edit mode – ON & click Create Announcement
As with other things you will add a variety of other options
are available – date restrictions, etc. Not covered today.
Most areas have a “More Help” option which
explains the options available.
Content areas are where you will store most
items for your class
◦Documents, links to video or audio recordings,
PowerPoint slideshows, assignments, tests, etc.
◦Each individual piece of content is called an
◦Often organized into folders & sub-folders
A. Use descriptive (but
short) titles for each
B. Organize content
logically within the
actual content area.
1. Edit Mode ON
2. Click the + sign
3. Select Create Content
4. Type a Name
5. Check Available to Users
A. Use the drag-and-drop
function to reorder items
on the Class Menu.
B. Alternatively, use the Keyboard
Accessible Reordering Tool to
reorder the links.
C. Click a link’s Action Link to
Rename, hide, or delete, or
to permit unenrolled
Click on your new Content area in the
navigation menu to go to that area
Edit mode ON
You’ll be selecting items from the action bar –
we will cover only a few of the options available today
The following can be added to Content Areas:
• Items, which can contain
text, files, and images
• Surveys and Tests
• External Links
• Organization Links
• Module Pages
• SafeAssignments – plagarism
• Self & Peer Assessments
• and more!!
1. In Edit Mode, access the
2. On the Action Bar, click
3. Enter the item’s Name and
4. Optionally - add a file(s).
5. Select viewing and tracking
The first row contains functions for formatting text, similar to
functions in a word processor.
The second row contains functions for working with text
already entered in the text box, such as spell checking,
cutting and pasting, undoing the last action, and markup
The third row contains functions for attaching documents,
images, and media files. This row only appears in selected
areas within Blackboard Learn. For example, it is available
when adding items to Content Areas, but not when creating
questions in Test Manager.
NOTE: Collapse any row using the carat to the left of the row.
Use drag and drop to re-order items in a
Add a folder from the
A folder must have a
Other information optional.
Create new items inside the
folder; existing items can
be moved into a new folder
1. In Edit Mode, access the Content Area from the
2. On the Action Bar, click Create Item.
3. On the Add Item page, enter the item’s Name and Text.
4. To add a file, click Browse to locate the file. Add
multiple files using the Text Editor’s Attach File
5. Under Options, select Yes for Permit Users to View the
Content Item to make the item available to Participants,
6. Click Submit.
Tasks (“To Do” lists)
Tests, Surveys, & Pools
• Best practice – hide any tool you don’t plan on using!
Add Tool links much as you do for creating a
Class Link, but select Tool Area, then Tool
Best practice – have a separate navigation
menu item for a commonly used tool – e.g.
Announcements, My Grades, Discussion
1. In Edit Mode, above the
Organization Menu, click
the Create Item icon,
shown as a plus sign.
2. Select the Tool Link.
3. Enter a Name for the link.
4. From the Type drop-down
list, select the tool to add.
5. Select whether the tool will
be Available to Users.
6. Click Submit.
Two ways to hide tools you don’t want to use:
1. Hide or delete the tools link from the course menu
Use the Action Link and select Hide or Delete
2. Select the Tools link in the navigation menu
Click Hide Link for any tool you don’t plan on using.
You can later unhide any tools you want to use
As a Main Menu Item
1. Click the + sign to
add a menu item
2. Select Create
3. Type in a name for
4. Type in the full URL
5. Make Available
As Content Area Item - 2 Options (text area)
1. Typing in a full web address should make an
active link (works in IE but not Firefox)
2. Method 2 – other text acts as the hyperlink
1. Type the text to serve as a hyperlink and highlight
2. Click the globe icon in the tool bar area
3. Type in the full URL. You may want to also check the
Open link in a new window option. Submit
> Customization > Style
◦ Main items you may want to change:
1. Menu style
Text or buttons
Colour, pattern, & button shape
2. Select Banner
Create a banner to upload
Appears only on your home page
Control Panel > Users & Groups > Users
◦ Students do not see the Control Panel
Click the Enroll User button to add an existing
Blackboard user to your class
Most users have a standard username of
firstname.lastname or Browse to find
Add several at once – separate usernames with
Practice: student.1 student.2 . . . student.5
Give students the Role of Student and set Availability to Yes. Submit.
(but you could probably have guessed that!!)
One way to see who is already enrolled in
◦ Control Panel > Users & Groups > Users
◦ Type a % in the Search field & click Go
How will students access the class?
◦ They must be enrolled in the class, OR
◦ Make the class & content areas available to guests &
provide a link to the class (e.g. from school website)
Can parents access my class?
◦ They may log in using their child’s account, OR
◦ Make all or part of the class open to guests &
provide the link to the class from the school
Contact your area Instructional
Technology Consultant for