4. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383IPR includes Patent: exclusive right given by a patent means that no one may use the invention for professional purposes Trademark: is a distinctive sign or indicator used by an individual, business organization or other legal entity to identify itself with its products or services Design: protects the looks of the product rather than its functions Copyright: The creator; the writer, composer and artists has his/her right to their intellectual work
5. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383BackgroundSweden China Concept of Patent first  Concept of Patent first introduced during the 17th introduced during the 21st century. century First governmental authority  Intellectual property rights established 1885 (IPRs) have been The Swedish Patent and acknowledged and protected Registration Office (PRV) in the People’s Republic of since 1978 China since 1979.  First governmental authority established 1980
6. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383TraditionSweden China Most successful inventors  Great civilization for millennia during the 20th century  Until the 15th century, Chinese During the same time period technological discoveries and many flourishing companies inventions were often far in established advance of those in Europe. Individualistic Culture  No sense of protecting what they Earn Profit and Recognition have invented. High quality  E.g :Traditional Chinese ”Just a little bit” better Medicine(TCM), more than 2000 years ago, NO patent.
7. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383Swedish inventions Dynamite (1867) Spherical Bearings (1907) Tetra Pak (1944) Pacemaker (1958)…and what did the Chinese people do at this time?
8. Peggy Lai 09013687Lisa Hedlund 11501383
9. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383Chinese InventionsThe famous Four Great Inventions:Gunpowder (the 9th century )Printing (in 868 )Compass (4th-century BC)Papermaking (AD 105) ...... What were the Swedish doing?
10. Peggy Lai 09013687Lisa Hedlund 11501383
11. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383Changes in attitude towards IPRSweden China Downloading of Music, Movies etc.  Pressure from the West and the World Trade Organization Immaterial rights  the State Intellectual Property Enforcement of IPRED-law Office ("SIPO") (Intellectual Property Rights  Today, SIPO is responsible for Enforcement Directive)  granting patents (national office), Stealing is illegal but free  registering semiconductor layout downloading should be legal? designs (national office), and  enforcing patents (local SIPO offices),  coordinating domestic foreign- related IPR issues involving copyrights, trademarks and patents
12. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383Continued…Sweden China Not accepted to look for or buy  China’s first patent law was copied products at home enacted in 1984 …but if we go somewhere else…  Chemical and pharmaceutical Increasing number of so called products, as well as shopping trips to especially food, beverages, and flavorings China are all now patentable Majority of those who go do buy  The Chinese Patent copied products Law, enacted in 1993, for Traditional Medical Knowledge protection.  Some Chinese own products are seen E.g
13. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383However, does it work?Sweden ChinaLimitations: Limitations: Downloading  China’s reliance on Minor Black Market administrative• Private persons  X Criminal measures• Organized criminal groups  Corruption Public Awareness Present  Limited training to Not a big problem enforcement officials  Lack of Public Education
14. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383IKEA In China since 1998 ”11 Furniture” in Kunming Copied the whole experience of IKEA…luckily, they did not even try to copy…
15. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383The Swedish Meatballs
16. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383References http://wraltechwire.com/business/tech_wire/opinion/story/277 6264/ http://www.sipo.gov.cn/zcfg/ http://www.mac.doc.gov/china/docs/businessguides/intellectua lpropertyrights.htm http://www.slu.se/en/collaborative-centres-and-projects/slu- holding/for-researchers/protection-of-inventions/ http://awapatent.com/?id=11479 http://www.e24.se/business/falsk-ikea-hittad-i-kinesisk- stad_2965846.e24 http://www.prv.se/In-English/
17. Peggy Lai 09013687 Lisa Hedlund 11501383Questions Why does the Chinese authorities fail to implement the laws restricting the copying of products – is it a question of the mindset or the size of the population that complicates the issue most? Do you think that protection IPR is a medium of boosting creativity or instead rather working in the opposite direction?