The History of Artemas Ward Park -- The Marlborough Historical Society

  • 5,201 views
Uploaded on

The history of Ward Park, located in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Researched, written, and presented by Paul Brodeur, trustee of the Marlborough Historical Society, on March 22, 2011 …

The history of Ward Park, located in Marlborough, Massachusetts. Researched, written, and presented by Paul Brodeur, trustee of the Marlborough Historical Society, on March 22, 2011

More in: Education
  • Full Name Full Name Comment goes here.
    Are you sure you want to
    Your message goes here
    Be the first to comment
    Be the first to like this
No Downloads

Views

Total Views
5,201
On Slideshare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
6

Actions

Shares
Downloads
14
Comments
0
Likes
0

Embeds 0

No embeds

Report content

Flagged as inappropriate Flag as inappropriate
Flag as inappropriate

Select your reason for flagging this presentation as inappropriate.

Cancel
    No notes for slide
  • From the Photo Collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the Marlborough Historical Society
  • 1803 Map of Marlborough
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Top Photo Marlboro Daily Enterprise Bottom Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from Google Earth
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the collection of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo Paul Brodeur
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise
  • Photo from the Marlboro Daily Enterprise

Transcript

  • 1.
      The History of Artemas Ward Park
      By Paul Brodeur Trustee of the Marlborough Historical Society Marlborough, Massachusetts Presented March 22, 2011 www.HistoricMarlborough.org [email_address]
  • 2. My thanks to: Bob Kane and Joan Abshire for their assistance And Special Thanks to Kathleen Lizotte Lynde for her frequent contributions to my research
  • 3.  
  • 4.
      The History of Marlborough Is the Story of America
  • 5.
      Near where I live there is a spring A never failing spring It feeds the body and the soul Of every living thing
      By Paul Brodeur
  • 6.
      The Four Little Empires of Hayden Meadow
    • The Human Empire of William & Elizabeth Ward
    • The Agricultural Empire of Bonney & Daniel Hayden
    • The Industrial Empire of Samuel Boyd
    • The Competitive Empire of Ward Park
  • 7.
      The Indians it fed at first For centuries and more And then the brood of William Ward A hundred years and more
      By Paul Brodeur
  • 8.
      The Human Empire of William and Elizabeth Ward 1660-1805
  • 9. The park located near to the center of Marlboro is dedicated to Gen. Artemas Ward, first commander of the Revolutionary forces, on land first owned by his great grandfather William Ward.
  • 10.
      The Early Mysteries of William Ward
    • Most of what we know of the origins of William Ward come from his biographer, Charles Martyn,
    • 11. who did extensive research in England, but could find no proofs of his early life.
    • 12. Nevertheless, it is believed that he was born about 1603, possibly in or near Yorkshire. We know
    • 13. that he was married twice (from his will), but of his first wife's origin, name, or circumstances we
    • 14. know nothing.
    • His second wife's name was Elizabeth. According to Torrey's New England Marriages prior to 1700
    • 15. her last name may have been Storey, but there is a question mark after the name.
    • He almost certainly had 13 children, but it is uncertain how many were by his first wife and how
    • 16. many by Elizabeth, although it is almost certain that Elizabeth had at least the last seven.
    • 17. It is believed that William came to America in the large fleet of Puritan ships that arrived in the
    • 18. spring of 1638. His name, however, could not be found on any existing manifest.
    • His name does not appear on the petition for the formation of Sudbury, but he was among those
    • 19. who received an initial land grant.
    • 20. This website contains Martyn's biography of William Ward and a database of the Ward descendants.
      • http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/robertkline/
    • This wiki website discusses the theories concerning the origins of William Ward:
      • http://www.werelate.org/wiki/Person_talk:William_Ward_%2817%29
  • 21. The Life and Times of William Ward in America
    • Ward received a modest land grant in Sudbury, but within 15 years had substantial holdings.
    • 22. He became a Freeman in 1643 giving him voting rights and governing responsibilities.
    • 23. He became a friend and ally of John Ruddock and the two were involved in a number of controversies in Sudbury that eventually led them, with others, to petition the colonial government to establish a new settlement west of Sudbury originally called Whipsuffrage, but changed to Marlborough after its namesake in England. John Ruddock was a native of Marlborough, England.
  • 24. This satellite view locates William Ward's property in Old Sudbury (now Wayland, MA). The red box is the general area described in Charles Martyn's Genealogy of William Ward. The next slide shows the area close up.
  • 25.  
  • 26.
      The Early Years in Marlborough
    • Ward received a 50 acre grant along with John Ruddock, and
    • 27. Edmund Rice. Others received between 15 and 40 acres.
    • It is believed that he chose the location because of the spring,
    • 28. later called the 'Never Failing' spring because of its consistency
    • 29. even in times of drought.
    • 30. The following slide shows the general area of Ward's 50 acre
    • 31. land grant . Exact boundaries are impossible to determine, but
    • 32. are almost certainly within the red lines.
  • 33.  
  • 34. This is a photo of most of Ward's property taken in the 1880's. The foreground house is on Liberty St., the street on the left is South St., and the street beyond the row of houses in the middle is West Main St. The church in the distance is the Unitarian Church at the corner of Pleasant and Lincoln Sts. Just to its right is Frye Boot Co., and straight down from the factory is Orchard St. The Ward/Hayden residence and barn are to the right. The Never Failing Spring is near the building furthest to the right.
  • 35.
      The Early Years in Marlborough
    • William Ward became Deacon, Selectman, served on the Mass Bay Grand Jury and as a Mass Bay Deputy.
    • 36. He became involved in all of the factional disputes in Marlborough in the early years, mostly over land, fencing, and taxes.
    • 37. He received other land grants including the area along the main road near to Lake Williams. This land he gave to his daughter Joanna who had married Abraham Williams. On it they built Williams Tavern. (at site of D'Angelo's)
  • 38. The Tavern was first built in the early 1660's and experienced a number of fires, the first during the siege of Marlborough by the Indians in King Philip's War in 1676. George Washington visited and slept here in 1775. His hosts were descendants of William Ward, as was General Artemas Ward who Washington was heading to Boston to replace.
  • 39.  
  • 40.
      King Philip's War
    • William Ward maintained one of eight 'garrison houses' during King Philip's War and hosted the Colonial army prior to the relief of Lancaster in February 1676.
  • 41.
      “ Before the General Court adjourned, which was not until the 28 th of February (1676), they had voted and concluded to raise an army of six hundred men, to be put under the conduct of Major Thomas Savage . . .” “[A dispute arose] at the headquarters at William Ward's in Marlborough, where the army was drawn up in a body in order to their march.”
    An Historical Account of the Doings and Sufferings of the Christian Indians in New England in the Years 1675, 1676,1677 Daniel Gookin Daniel Gookin was the Administrator of Indian Affairs and knew both the town of Marlborough and William Ward very well. Before the war he purchased the 150 acres of Indian land in the center of town, so he was a landowner in Marlborough as well.
  • 42.
      King Philip's War
    • The Ward Garrison house was the primary refuge for townspeople during the Meeting House raid by hostile Indians in March 1676.
    • 43. The Ward family was one of just a few who did not flee Marlborough after the Indian raids. By the end of the war, there were only 4 garrison houses left.
    • 44. The following photo shows the location of the Meeting House (near the Walker Building), and the location of Ward's Garrison residence. The townspeople were at Sunday church services and had only a few hundred yards lead over the Indians. One man was wounded trying to help an older congregant.
  • 45.  
  • 46.
      King Philip's War
    • In April 1676, the Indians attacked Sudbury. John Howe, husband of William's daughter Elizabeth was killed.
    • 47. Eleazar Ward, son of William was also killed. The site of his death was a hill in the east of Marlborough, north of Rt 20. It was named Mt Ward, in his honor.
  • 48. The building on the left is St. Matthias Church on Hemenway St. The street to the right is Langelier Lane and the hill in the distance is Mt.Ward. At the end of Langelier Lane is a small area to park and a trail leads to the top of the hill. The following picture shows the position of Mt. Ward in relation to Rt. 20. Just to its right is the Easterly Wastewater Treatment Plant and Trash Recycling Center.
  • 49.  
  • 50.
      After the War
    • After the War, William appears to be in semi-retirement until his death in 1686. He was about 83 years old when he passed.
    • 51. His house was apparently in two sections. He had given the western section to his son William along with the western half of the original 50 acre grant. According to Martyn, his biographer, William Jr. moved the west section of the house to his new house lot.
    • 52. In his will, he gives his son Samuel the eastern half of his original lot with the understanding that Samuel will care for his mother. Samuel continued the tradition of Ward hospitality, frequently hosting visiting clergy.
    • 53. William Ward's burial place is unknown, although it is reputed to be in Spring Hill Cemetery. His wife was buried there in 1700.
  • 54. Spring Hill Cemetery is the grassy area in the top/right/center of this photo. The Dairy Queen is the building with the red roof to the right, on E. Main St. Access to the cemetery is gained by going north on Bolton St, taking the first right onto High St. (in front of the Congregational Church), going to the end of High St. and taking a u-turn to the left. There is a small area for parking.
  • 55. Elizabeth Ward's original headstone is on the bottom. In 1925, shortly before his death, Artemas Ward, descendant of the Revolutionary General, had the headstone and a new plaque embedded into a new stone.
  • 56.
      The Ward Homestead in the 1700s
  • 57.
      “ Not far from the Soldier's Monument stood, well remembered for many years, an old house which it is believed, was one of the oldest in our town.”
      Historical Reminiscences of the Early Times in Marlborough, Massachusetts , Ella Bigelow
  • 58. Daniel Hayden stands before the Ward/Hayden house in the 1880's. Built by the Ward family in the first half of the 18 th century, it has an attached side house (possibly the same type that William Jr. had moved in the 17 th century), barn, and other out buildings. The rear of these buildings can be seen to the right in the following photo.
  • 59.  
  • 60.
      Fires at the Ward Homestead
    • There were certainly a number of fires at the Ward Homestead, but
      since there were two houses, it is uncertain which house was involved.
    • Both Nahum and Gershom were children of William Jr. According to
      Ella Bigelow, there was a fire shortly before Nahum left to become one of the founders of Shrewsbury in 1716. Nahum became the father of Gen. Artemas Ward.
    • Charles Martyn tells the story of a fire involving Gershom which
      occurred in 1729 and threatened the nearby home of Rev. Breck.
    • Gershom was a bachelor who died in 1739. There is no evidence of
      anyone from William's line living at the Ward homestead after his death. It's quite possible that Artemas Ward inherited this portion of the property.
    • Ella Bigelow tells of a fire involving Joseph, son of Samuel. The
      Ward/Hayden house possibly resulted from this fire.
  • 61.
      The Lineage of Samuel Ward
    • Samuel 7th child of William Ward, responsible for care of his mother Elizabeth and the Ward Homestead. Had 7 children.
    • 62. Joseph: 2 nd child of Samuel, inherited homestead. Had 7 children.
    • 63. Daniel Sr.: eldest child of Joseph, inherited homestead. Died 1764. Had 9 children. His second wife was Grace Newton .
    • 64. Daniel Jr.: 7 th child of Daniel Sr., inherited homestead. Died 1775 at age of 33. His older sister Mary married Jonas Morse . He and his wife Ann had six children.
    • 65. William: 5 th child of Daniel Jr. inherited homestead. Born 1772. His fate is unknown.
    • 66. In total, the first 5 Ward generations living at the Ward Homestead had 44 children.
  • 67.
      The Tragedy of Daniel and Ann Ward and the Scourge of 1775
    • 1767 Elisha died, not yet 1
    • 68. 1771 Anna age 4, Phebe age 2 died
    • 69. 1775 a serious case of dysentery struck Marlborough. Smallpox outbreak across the country. In Marlborough, 78 dead (avg 22 in the previous years).
    • 70. Among the victims: Daniel Jr. age 33, Ann, age 33, Daniel III, age 12, Cousin Samuel, age 65.
    • 71. William (age 3), Aaron (newborn) were left orphans.
  • 72.
      The Legacy of William Ward
    • William Ward had 13 children, 88 grandchildren, 331 documented great
      grandchildren.
    • First few generations became pioneer families in other New England towns.
      Helped settle the new towns of Westborough, Southborough, Northborough, Grafton, Shrewsbury, New Marlborough and many others. Succeeding generations helped to establish towns across the country.
    • Ward name lost importance and influence in Marlborough affairs, but non
      Ward descendants (Howes, Williams, Rices, Brighams, Johnsons, Witherbees) continued to be influential.
    • Many descendants were extremely important in the Revolutionary War,
      particularly Gen. Artemas Ward, first Commander of the Continental Army.
    • In 1789, the tax rolls in Marlboro lists Jonas Morse, (brother in law of Daniel
      Ward Jr.) guardian of William Ward, as a taxpayer. His cousin Grace Newton Ward, 2 nd wife of Daniel Ward Sr. had died the year before. The story began with the mysterious origin of William Ward and ends with the mysterious life story of William Ward. By the beginning of the 1800's, the Ward Homestead was up for sale.
  • 73. The above section of the 1803 map of Marlborough shows that Col. Luke Drury was believed to be living at the Ward Homestead. The question mark leaves some doubt. Note that Rev. Asa Packard's blacksmith shop is the only other building on the property.
  • 74.
      Biographical Sketch of Col. Luke Drury
    • Great Great Grandson of Edmund Rice
    • Born and raised in Grafton, son of Thomas Drury.
    • Mother died when he was young, and his father married Mary Ward of Marlborough when he was about eight. She died when he was about sixteen or seventeen.
    • Served under General Artemas Ward and Lt. Col. Jonathan Ward at Bunker
      Hill, continued in service for most of the Revolution.
    • In 1786-87, became involved in Shay's Rebellion and was imprisoned as “a
      person dangerous to the state,” in March, 1787. He was soon after released, won election to the State Legislature in June, but was not allowed to be seated until sometime after.
    • Held every important public post in Grafton. Had 9 children, legal guardian of 4
      children. I have found no proof, but is it possible that two of these children were William and Aaron Ward? His personal papers and letters are widely scattered in various libraries and museums.
    • In 1803, he moved to Marlborough where he appears on map, but soon after, he
      had purchased land in the West of Marlborough, and much of the Ward property had been sold to David Hayden.
  • 75.
      The Haydens next fed from the spring Though children came there not But first the town, then city They served with every drop
      By Paul Brodeur
  • 76.
      The Agricultural Empire of Bonney and Daniel Hayden 1805-1895
  • 77.
      “ Bonney (Hayden) was an old bachelor. His brother Zely lived with him. . . . He had a large farm and much woodland in the east part of town as well as in No Town – now known as Leominster. . . . When he died, it is said that thousands of dollars in gold and silver were found hidden in various nooks and crannies about the house.”
      Historical Reminiscences of the Early Times in Marlborough, Massachusetts , Ella Bigelow
  • 78.
      Biographical Sketch of David (Bonney) Hayden
    • Son of Thomas and Mary Ball Hayden of Sudbury. Thomas died about
      1768, left the family destitute.
    • Sons were sent to live with Thomas' brothers: Bonney (David) and Zely
      (Bazeleel) to Daniel in Marlborough, Josiah to Samuel in Hollis, NH.
    • Daniel Sr. owned property in the northeast of Marlborough. His own
      children owned other property on 1803 map, David is shown as owning Daniel Sr.'s property.
    • Lived with his brother Zely his whole life. Neither married. Zely died
    • 79. in 1827, age 62. David died in 1848, age 88. His stone has a
      revolutionary marker. Appropriately enough, they were buried side by side in the Old Common Cemetery. Slides of their gravestones follow.
    • Their nephew Daniel, from Hollis, NH, inherited the property.
  • 80.  
  • 81.  
  • 82. Daniel Hayden of Hollis, NH
      “ Daniel was raised in a country where the people were few in number and where they were obliged to help each other. He practiced this principle when he came to Marlboro, seemingly not realizing the change in condition. This often was to his detriment and it is often said by his neighbors that he was too goodhearted.”
    • A news clipping following his burial, found in Daniel Hayden’s Daybook
  • 83.
      Biographical Sketch of Daniel Hayden
    • There were four Daniel Haydens in Marlborough: Daniel Sr, brother of Thomas and caretaker of Bonney (David), Daniel Jr., owner of farm on Broadmeadow, his son, Daniel Robert Ames (RA), and Daniel of Hayden Meadow.
    • 84. Daniel was 7 th of 9 children of Josiah and Mary Patch Hayden of Hollis, NH. He came to help his Uncle Bonney in about 1835. Bonney was about 75, Daniel was about 26. Samuel Boyd opened his first shoe factory around the same time.
    • 85. Marlborough was a farming town of about 2000 people. The shoe industry would create phenomenal growth.
  • 86.  
  • 87.
      Biographical Sketch of Daniel Hayden
    • Daniel married Hannah Estabrook. They had one child, Sarah,
    • who lived just 7 days. She was buried near Bonnie and Zely's grave in
    • 88. the Old Common cemetery. Her death meant that no children would
    • 89. grow to maturity in the house for over 100 years.
    • Daniel's father had a sawmill in Hollis and he grew up in the lumber
      business. This is where he made his fortune. He sold off parts of his property for housing and purchased more woodland. With more housing, there was more demand for building material and wood for heating.
    • He became one of the largest landowners and taxpayers in
      Marlborough, exceeded only by the shoe manufacturers and financiers. At one time he owned over 500 acres of land.
  • 90.
      Daniel Hayden's Daybook
    • In 1878, from his home farm, Daniel Hayden sold potatoes, cabbage,
      onions, apples, vinegar, milk, eggs, tobacco, pork, firewood, sand, and gravel.
    • He provided labor and equipment for the general public and the town.
    • He dealt with neighbors, businesses, Irish and French Canadians.
    • When the daybook was filled, his wife used it as a scrapbook for news
      clippings, including articles on his death, and the sale of much of his estate. He died on 4 th of July 1896, and parts of his estate were sold to satisfy debt.
  • 91. Daniel, Hannah and Sarah Hayden were buried in Maplewood Cemetery on Pleasant St. Apparently, Sarah was disinterred and reburied with her parents.
  • 92.
      Atop the hill lived Mr. Boyd A giant of renown With shoes he built an empire Which built, in turn, the town
      By Paul Brodeur
  • 93.
      The Industrial Empire of Samuel Boyd
  • 94. Samuel Boyd built this mansion on the top of Fairmount Hill. He had purchased most of the property on Fairmount Hill from his brother-in-law, Caleb Witherbee whose house was near the bottom of the hill. The hill was then developed for house lots for managers of the shoe factories.
  • 95.
      Biographical Sketch of Samuel Boyd
    • Born in 1815, sixth of eleven children of John and Sophia Phelps Boyd.
    • Grew up on the present Walker St (near lower Maple St).
    • Began manufacturing shoes in 1836, and built successively larger
      factories in 1837, 1843, 1848, 1849, 1855 and finally, in 1870, with Thomas Corey as his partner, they built the Boyd and Corey building which covered over an acre and a half and was one of the largest in the country.
    • The following slides show two of the original still existing buildings,
    • 96. although in highly modified form: the first at 85 Maple St, the second
    • 97. at 57 Main St. The third building is the Boyd and Corey building which
    • 98. was located across from the old Fire Station.
  • 99.  
  • 100.  
  • 101.  
  • 102.
      Samuel Boyd
    • Boyd was involved with the start of the Gas Company, the First National Bank, and the Savings Bank. He was involved with both train companies and started the Marlborough Trolley system, one of the very first in the country.
    • 103. He had little interest in politics, but did serve as a representative and a term as a selectman, being largely drafted into both positions.
    • 104. He was the driving force behind the creation of upper South St. and the present Maple St.
    • 105. He was responsible for developing two areas of real estate, Fairmount Hill and Chestnut Hill. Apart from the housing on both hills, he was responsible for two parks, the one on his own land known as Fairmount Park, and 40 acres he donated to the city on Chestnut Hill.
    • 106. A photo of Fairmount Park follows.
  • 107.  
  • 108. This photo was shot in the 1880's from Mt. Pleasant. The steeple on the Immaculate Conception church was built in 1886. When Daniel Hayden came to town around 1835, there would have been very few buildings apart from his own farm buildings in the center of the photo. This is the city that men like Daniel Hayden and Samuel Boyd helped to build.
  • 109. This is Samuel Boyd's gravestone in the Chipman Cemetery which is located immediately to the right of Rocklawn Cemetery on upper Steven's St.
  • 110.
      Finally, then, the city came and made a public way And so the spring flows deeply now Beneath the children's play
  • 111.
      The Competitive Empire of Artemas Ward Park
  • 112. “ Hayden Meadow is not much more than a mud hole: wet, damp and full of malaria and disease; has been shunned by man and beast ever since the world was created; fit only for growing vegetation and a natural sink for the surface wash of that section of the city. And I do not wonder that those who are so unfortunate as to have this unproductive and unsaleable land are anxious to unload it at a fancy price” Winfield Temple (front page, center, Marlboro Daily Enterprise, March 17, 1913)
  • 113.
      Why a Park?
    • The Parks Movement – Frederick Law Olmstead
    • Development of Baseball and widespread adoption during the Civil War
    • Development of Football in the 1880's
    • Modern Olympics began in 1896
    • Tennis: Wimbledon began 1877, Davis Cup 1900
    • Industrialization, growth of cities
  • 114.
      Why a Park in Marlborough?
    • 1869 Marlboro Fairmount Baseball team created a ball field between
      the present Lincoln and Rice Streets. In that year, a clear distinction
    • was made between professional and amateur teams. The Marlboro
    • 115. Fairmounts were the 3 rd best amateur team in the country. The
    • 116. following year, they played the Cincinnati Red Stockings in Worcester.
    • 117. The Red Stockings were the pre-eminent professional team of the era.
    • 118. The Fairmounts lost 77-13.
    • A much improved Prospect Park was created in the 1880's at the top of
    • 119. Prospect Hill, probably because of housing pressure. Lincoln St. was
    • 120. probably extended at the same time.
    • High School athletic teams began to be formed informally in 1890's.
    • First Marlboro – Hudson football game was in 1904, one of the earliest
    • 121. 60 in the country.
    • In 1910, by a large majority, the citizens of Marlborough voted on a
      referendum accepting the provisions of the Playground Act.
  • 122. The lower box in red is the approximate area described as the location of the original Prospect Park created in a field by the Marlborough Fairmount baseball club. That section of Lincoln St. did not exist at the time. The upper box delineates the new Prospect Park at the top of the hill built in the 1880's and used well into the 20 th century. Kelleher field is at the left. It eventually replaced Prospect Park.
  • 123.  
  • 124.
      1902: No Park
      In 1902, a plan had been devised to build a park on land at Lake Williams. Since Lake Williams was a reservoir and under the jurisdiction of the Water Commision, the plan was abandoned. The article in the Marlborough Enterprise declared:
    • “ There are many who think that the stoppage of work at Lake Williams will make Hayden Meadow the most eligible place for a park location”
    • 125. In 1908, Mayor Henry Parsons promoted the idea of purchasing Hayden Meadow in his inaugural address, and numerous letters and articles spoke in support over the next fifteen years. In 1913 much debate took place culminating in Attorney Winfield Temple's loud and (apparently) influential letter to the editor.
  • 126. In 1913, pressure began to increase for the use of Hayden Meadow, especially for winter activities. Temporary lights were installed for night skating and discussions were initiated with land owners for the outright purchase of Hayden Meadow.
  • 127.
      Among the owners mentioned were Mrs. J.C. Ward F. S. Rock and J.E. Hayes. The Ward family continued to own numerous plots of land in and near to the park. The Rock and Hayes Co. had purchased large sections of the Hayden estate partly to support their liquor business near Monument Sq. The Hayden barn was used as a warehouse.
  • 128. “ Homestead Ale, at $1.25 per case of 24 bottles, is a good investment for all those who are not feeling fit. If the medicine you are not taking does not give the desired result, take our word, and try a few cases of 'Homestead'.” Advertisement in the Marlborough Enterprise
  • 129.
      Did Prohibition Play a Part in the Purchase of the Park?
    • The Rock and Hayes Co. purchased parts of the Hayden Meadow, including the Hayden house and barn from the Hayden estate. Hannah Hayden moved next door and lived with her sister, and the Hayden house was demolished by John Hayes. The present structure was built, altering the foundation somewhat, but retaining much of the original stone.
    • 130. Frank Rock and John Hayes were long time residents of the neighborhood and partners in the liquor business. At some point they ran separate establishments next to one another at Monument Sq. under separate licenses. They used the Hayden barn as a warehouse.
    • 131. When prohibition came in 1920, the value of the barn was greatly diminished and the economic pressures may have created extra impetus to sell property. Nevertheless, public pressure to purchase the Meadow had to have been the greatest single influence.
  • 132. This is a photo of the Rock building taken in the 1950's. The building, now demolished, was at the Monument Sq. site of previous buildings housing the Rock & Hayes liquor establishments. The building to its left still stands.
  • 133. On August 31, 1923, the City Council finally passed an order authorizing $50,000 for the purchase and development of 19.1 acres of Hayden Meadow.
  • 134. The development of the park was the responsibility of Thomas Fahey, contractor, and Francis Granger, city engineer. Both were residents of the neighborhood, and both now have streets named after them. The park was due for completion by November 1, 1924. Work required a 36” pipe to carry the brook and additional piping in the area of the 'Never Failing' Spring. Considerable reconfiguration of the hill near the location of the barn had to be done to accommodate the oval track.
  • 135. August 8, 1925 was set aside as the date for Acceptance and Dedication of the park. The park had been used extensively for certain activities in 1925, but the dedication didn't occur til August, probably for fear that a large crowd would affect the grass (a common problem through the years). The original construction did not include the tennis courts or wading pool which were added around the same time as the construction of the new Bigelow School in 1931.
  • 136. This photo was taken in the 1930's (cars on the left verify this). The first sets of tennis courts were built around 1931 and within a short time there was an overwhelming demand for court time. Additional courts were added in 1934 and nearly 3000 permits were requested that year.
  • 137. The original plan was to put the wading pool and playground area on the east end of the park, near Water Terrace. This may partially explain the 'dugout' that was a feature there for many years. It may have been the presence of the new elementary Bigelow School that influenced the shift to its present location. A gift of the Kiwanis Club explains the 'K' in the center of this dedication photo in 1931.
  • 138. Artemas Ward had made a fortune establishing newsstands at train stations. Gravely ill, he wanted to create a legacy for his great great grandfather and the Ward name. He had already paid for a number of plaques in the city (slides following), as well as the Gen. Artemas Ward museum and other memorials in Shrewsbury. He was approached about the idea of putting up a gateway and thus the name 'Artemas Ward' replaced 'Hayden Meadow' as the name for the park. Final cost for the gateway reached $25,000, half as much as the cost for the entire park. A nice bio of the General can be found here: http://backyard-history.com/artemaswardmuseum/index_files/Page691.htm
  • 139. The Gateway to the park was originally placed at the entrance to the parking lot on Windsor St. (behind the Senior Center). It had to be moved to accommodate Granger Blvd. The original Gateway had stone seats and a stone area underfoot similar to the Soldier's Monument in front of the Walker Building.
  • 140.  
  • 141. This marker, donated by Artemas Ward, is located at the foot of Brown St, near the corner of Main and E Main Sts.
  • 142. This plaque is on the right side of the previous marker.
  • 143.
      The History of Artemas Ward Park 1924-Present
    • Artemas Ward Park has been the center of hundreds of civic celebrations, carnivals, fireworks displays, musical concerts, fund raisers, and holiday celebrations.
    • 144. From 1931 to the late 1960's, Ward Park was the center of tennis competition in Marlborough, often requiring permits to play. The building of other indoor and outdoor courts in the late 60's and 70's caused the courts at Ward Park to fall into disuse, and, finally into unplayable condition.
    • 145. The Marlboro High School Panthers Football team practiced here until the building of the High School on Union St.
    • 146. Local American Legion Baseball teams played here for many years.
    • 147. . . . and the Practice Field of National Champions
  • 148.
      The Akroyd – Houde American Legion Post 132 Drum and Bugle Corps Classic drum and bugle corps are North American musical ensembles that descended from military bugle and drum units returning from World War I and succeeding wars. Traditionally, drum and bugle corps served as signaling units as early as before the American Civil War.... With the advent of radio, bugle signaling units became obsolete and surplus equipment was sold to veteran organizations. These organizations formed drum and bugle corps of civilians and veterans, and the corps performed in community events and localcelebrations. Over time, rivalries between corps emerged and the competitive drum and bugle corps circuit evolved. From Wikipedia
  • 149. Marlboro's Drum and Bugle Corps practiced both at Ward Park and Bigelow School. They had a huge local following, a welcome diversion from the challenges of the depression. Local contributions were needed to send the team to as far away as California for the national championship. Their first national title was in Chicago in 1933.
  • 150. They repeated in Miami in 1934. Competition for space at the park must have been intense. There were about 20 baseball teams looking to play games at the same time. With hundreds of tennis players, children at the wading pool, and spectators for various events, Ward Park must have seemed like a beehive.
  • 151. In 1936, they won their fifth straight State Championship. Since their victories at the state level had become a foregone conclusion, other teams began to pass on the state championship. In deference to the competition, Marlboro stopped participating at the state level.
  • 152. They won their third National Championship in 1938 in Los Angeles. Within a few years, war had brought an end to the glory days of the local corps. In the 60's, there was a flowering of drum corps among the youth of the city, influenced, no doubt, by the huge national success of the previous generation.
  • 153.
      Marlboro Shamrocks Football The Shamrocks practiced at Ward Park and played their home games at Kelleher Field. Their dynastic record compares with any team sport at any level in any country. All the more amazing considering that they played a sport where turnover due to injury is so high. During their glory years starting in 1983, they won the Eastern Football League Championship in 17 of 20 years. When National Championships began in the early 1990's, they won Championships in 7 out of 10 years from 1993 to 2002. The following slides show their National Championships. They show an increasing disinterest in the press, going from the Front Page with large pictures to low position on the Sports Page with no photo. National Championships ceased to be compelling news.
  • 154.  
  • 155.  
  • 156.  
  • 157.  
  • 158.  
  • 159.  
  • 160.  
  • 161.
      Near where I live there is a spring A never failing spring It feeds the body and the soul Of every living thing
    • In 1941, the Hayden family made a gift of a drinking fountain erected in the area of the 'Never-Failing' Spring. There is no sign of the fountain now, but the spring lives on as a deeply buried symbol of what Artemas Ward Park has meant to the city.
  • 162. Bibliography The History of Artemas Ward Park Available on the Web The William Ward Genealogy by Charles Martyn (Robert Kline's website) History of the Town of Marlborough by Charles Hudson Historical Reminiscences of the Town of Marlborough by Ella Bigelow History of Middlesex County by D Hamilton Hurd Marlborough, Massachusetts Burial Ground Inscriptions by Franklin P. Rice & George Maynard A Historical Account of the Doings and Sufferings of the Christian Indians by Daniel Gookin
  • 163. Bibliography (cont) Other Books Puritan Village by Sumner Chilton Powell (about the Sudbury settlement) The King's Best Highway by Eric Jaffe (about the Boston Post Rd)
  • 164. Bibliography (cont) Websites of Interest John Buczek's Marlborough Website (tons of stuff on Marlboro's History) http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~historyofmarlborough/contents.htm#CONTENTS Robert Kline's Genealogy Page http://www3.bc.sympatico.ca/robertkline/ This site has links to Martyn's bio of William Ward and a full database of Ward descendants. http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~haydenfamilyalbum/genealogy_report.htm Website devoted to the family of Josiah Hayden with much general Hayden family info.
  • 165. Bibliography (cont) Resources at the Marlborough Historical Society Daniel Hayden's Daybook by Daniel and Hannah Hayden Papers from the Estate of Luke Drury (there are also papers at the Umass Library, Amherst and at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem) Paul Harrington has written a history of the American Legion Drum and Bugle Corps Photographs of Marlborough Any Questions or Requests feel free to call me. Paul Brodeur 508-485-1995 Please consider becoming members of the Marlborough Historical Society
  • 166.
      Presented by Paul Brodeur Trustee of the Marlborough Historical Society Marlborough, Massachusetts March 22, 2011 www.HistoricMarlborough.org [email_address]