A PRESENTATION ON
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM
ACME TELE POWER LTD., PANTNAGAR
At ACME TELE POWER LTD., PANTNAGAR, the
employees are considered as most valuable asset
and strength for sustained growth in the
development of the company.
Like any other organization, ACME TELE POWER
LTD., PANTNAGAR has framed Rules, Regulations,
Policies, Systems and Schemes etc.
– Objectives of the study
– Research Methodology
– Scope of the study
– Limitations of the study
– Operational definition of the concept
– Learning’s in the Executive training
– Company Profile
– Human Resource Development (Performance Appraisal)
– Data Analysis
– Interpretations and findings
CHAPTER 1 ( INTRODUCTION)
● In the so highly competitive and rapidly changing environment
to survive the companies need well trained and skilled worker.
India is a very rich country in the term of resources, weather
natural or technical and scientific .But it is very sad to state that
India, till now, has not perfectly learnt how to develop its man
power and tap its human resources for the betterment of its
citizenry and business goal.
For summer training I got an opportunity to do my summer
training in ACME TELE POWER LTD., PANTNAGAR because
it is one of the biggest, well established and renowned in its
field and serious about training its worker and intent to make it
understood that they really care for them.
OBJECTIVES OF STUDY
To understand the Performance Appraisal activities of ACME
TELE POWER LTD., PANTNAGAR.
To find out if the Performance Appraisal activities help the
employee in his performance.
Take the response of employees towards the Performance
Appraisal activities carried on upon them.
SAMPLE SIZE & RESEARCH
The sample size is of 100 employees, from ACME
TELE POWERLTD, PANTNAGAR.
The study was done with the help of primary as well
as secondary data. Primary data were collected
through the questionnaire while secondary data were
● Company report
● Brochures etc.
SCOPE OF THE STUDY
The topic chosen Performance appraisal was aimed for the
betterment of the organization in terms of quality as well as
quantity. The scope of the study under mentioned points
depicts the same.
1. To increase the productivity by increasing the level of
2. The programme would help the organization in meeting it
future personal need.
3. The programme will help the employee in their personal
group by improving their knowledge as well as skill.
LIMITATIONS OF THE STUDY
1. Lack of expertise trainer handed in the
prosecution of Performance Appraisal programme.
2. Lack of feeling in people of against the awareness
for the Performance Appraisal programme.
3. Search for the exact Appraisal was also difficult to
OPERATIONAL DEFINITION OF THE
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM
Performance appraisal is a process of evaluating employee performance for
the purpose of placements, selections for promotions, career planning,
motivation etc and performance appraisal seeks to achieve following objective.
● To assess the performance, personal attributes and potential of the employee.
● Performance based rewards in terms of promotion, increments etc.
● To identify training needs.
● To assess strengths, areas of improvements and give feedback to the employee.
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL PROCESS
1. HR to prepare the Appraisal Form of individual
employee to be appraised and send it to concerned
2. Reviewing Authority/HOD will arranged distribution of
form to individual employee through Appraising
3. Employee shall fill his part in the Appraisal form in
the appraisal form and shall hand over the same to
CHAPTER 2 (COMPANY PROFILE)
● ACME Tele Power Ltd. was incorporated in 2003. The company was
established with a mission to provide innovative and creative solution
to hltherto unaddressed infrastructure –and power –relative problems
faced by the telecom operators in the country. The idea was to provide
solutions that are cost effective, environment friendly, reliable and
delivered a quick ROI.
ACME Tele Power Ltd. (ATPL), provides comprehensive passive
infrastructure solutions to wireless telecom players both in India as well
as overseas. It has three main policies. These are:-
● Zero defect products
● Total customer focus
● Implementation of Kaizen
PRODUCTS OF THE COMPANY
As on date, ACME Tele Power Ltd. boasts of a rich and variegated
portfolio of cost effective and innovative products based on the modern
technologies. These include :-
Power Interface unit
Line Conditioner unit
Thermal Management System with PCM
AC with free cooling
Battery Life Enhancer
NACC Compressor less Air Conditioner
Each of the organization’s products considerably reduce the
dependence on diesel generators for cooling requirements during
power outages and provide stable power supply.
Company considers its human resources as the most valuable
resources for its growth & development. Performance appraisal seeks
to achieve the following.
1. To set realistic & challenging targets/ key performance area on
annual basis for the individual.
2. To assess employee’s performance based on person attributes.
Job performed targets achieved/ specific achievements.
3. To assess the strengths, weakness& potential of the employee.
4. Performance based reward in terms of increment& promotion etc.
Appraisal period is from April to March. Every
employee is appraised at the end of the appraisal
period. Employees joining during appraisal are
appraised on completion of their one year service&
employees joining after March are appraised in next
METHOD OF APPRAISAL
The employee’s performance is appraised by the
department & sectional head in consultation with his
immediate supervisor on personal attributes, job
performed targets achieved/ specific achievement.
Finally the appraisal is reviewed & approved by the
review committee to ensure uniformity& objective.
1. The appraisal is being discussed with the employee
by the appraises to give the employee.
2. Feed back about his performance, strength&
weakness employee is also suggested area of
TRAINING AND DEVELOPMENT
Training & development is an important aspect of the
H.R.D. The company believes in training &
development of its employees. In hour & outstation
programs are arranged for employees by H.R.D. on
recommendation of sectional & departmental head.
PERFORMANCE APPRAISAL SYSTEM
It is a process of evaluating employee performance for the
purpose of placements, selections for promotions, career
planning, motivation etc, performance appraisal seeks to
achieve following objective.
● To assess the performance, personal attributes and
potential of the employees.
● Performance based rewards in terms of promotion,
● To identify training needs.
● To assess strengths, areas of improvements and give
feedback to the employees.
INDIVIDUAL COMPONENT DEFINED
WORK PLANNING CONCEPTUAL DEPTH
AREAS OF STRENGTH AREAS OF
ABILITY TO PLAN VISION
ORGANISE LONG RANGE PLANNING
MEET DEADLINES CREATIVITY AND
COMMUNICATION OVERALL BUISNESS APPROACH KEY TRAINING
ARTICULATING TECHNICAL BASIS
PERSUASIO FINANCAL KNOWLEDGE
SUPPORT STRATEGIC PRIORITIES
CONFIDENCE CONSUMER DRIVEN
Ratings in the terms are to be awarded to the
individual, by his immediate superior and the
departmental head in the specific columns. The
points are given as:
● OUTSTANDING (OS)
● COMMENDABLE (CO)
● MEET EXPECTATIONS (ME)
● NEEDS IMPROVEMENT (NI)
BELL SHAPED CURVE
SCALE RATING STANDARD ACTUAL
..05 OS 3 2
31 0.2 CO 12 15
29 0.5 ME 31 29
20 .15 NI 9 11
12 0.1 US 6 4
5 3 9 6
OS CO ME NI US
ISSUES IN PERFORMANCE APRASIAL
When to Appraisal
Who are the
How to solve
METHODS OF APPRAISAL
The last to be addressed in the process of designing an
appraisal programme is to determine method(s) of
evaluation. All the approaches to appraisal can be classified
● past-oriented methods
● future oriented methods
METHODS OF APPRAISAL
Tests & Observation Appraisal
Past oriented Future oriented
Appraisal by objectives Management by objectives
Rating Scales &Ranking Technique
Simple or straight Ranking
Forced distribution Ranking Psychological appraisals
The Critically incident method Assessment Centers
LEARNINGS IN THE TRAINING
● 5’s (Japanese Technology)
● QUALITY CIRCLES
● COMPETANCY MAPPING
● PRACTICAL WORK ON EXCEL
QUESTIONS ASKED DURING SURVEY
Q no 1: Number of service years in this organization.
Q no 2: Are you aware about your performance appraisal or any evaluation done by your
Q no 3: Are you aware about the modern techniques used in performance appraisal?
Q no 4: Performance appraisal techniques make you better eligible for promotion, demotion, & transfer.
Q no 5: Do you think performance appraisal is useful or just a waste of time?
Q no 6: Proper and adequate performance appraisal plays a crucial role in your career development.
Q no 7: Does performance appraisal report is helpful in identifying Training and Development need or it
lay development plan for you?
Q no 8: Performance appraisal is most of the time fair and unbiased.
Q no 9: Have you understood clearly, as to what is expecting from you?
Q No 10: Does the organization provide counseling after appraisal?
1. As company was set up in 2003 so the years of service in the organization of
most of the employees is less than 5 years.
2. 80 % the employees had responded in favor of that they were aware about
3. Near about 60% of the employees had not aware about modern performance
4. The 80% of the respondent’s shows that PARs as a good strategy to go
ahead with promotion while 40% of respondents do not agree with it.
5. More than 90% of the employees say that performance appraisal is useful for
there self-assessment and promotions. Thus, they cannot ignore it.
6. 92% of the responses show that Performance Appraisal Report
helps a lot in the promotional activities.
7. 50% of the respondents are satisfied by the performance appraisal
report as it helps them to understand the job profile and helps in
training need identification.
8. 65 % of the respondents show that Performance Appraisal report is
time fair & unbiased.
9. Near about 75% of the respondents, say that Organization provides
counseling after performance appraisal report.
1. It is truth that no work is completed in itself. Infact, completion of one job is
actually the beginning of another job. Likewise, performance Appraisal is
never ending process. It is essential for personal & professional development.
2. This project has been considering all possible aspects mentioned in the
project booklet. The project is made very clear and precise with the help of
the relevant data gathered from the company, company website & through
3. They believe in investing continuously in human resource for their growth. The
company is led by young professionals. They have an open work environment
which is achievement oriented.
SUGGESTION GIVEN BY EMPLOYEES
OF ACME DURING SURVEY
Performance Appraisal should be experience, work skill,
Evaluation should be as per performance and shall not be
Valuation of performance should be done in each quarter.
Appraisal should not be Bell Curve. It should be based on
department/ individual either 100% or 0%.
Employee is the key resource of the organization. Hence
employee satisfaction is the key to success for the
organizational growth. For employee satisfaction there should
be good incremental and promotional policies.
Things carried out on paper should be followed/
implemented or at least can be tried.
Performance Appraisal should be done by MBO
(Management By Objective) / M&M method of appraisal.
Every employee should have a right of justification for his
own roles , responsibilities and designation.
Organization must use 360 degree appraisal method
because this method not only includes the performance of
an employee but his interpersonal skills also.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.