How to Use Windows XP: Setting Up a Network PrinterPreparationIn order to install a network printer, you must know your printers Manufacturer, Model Name, and IPAddress. The Manufacturer and Model Name can be found on the printer case, an example is HP LaserJet 4000N . The IP Address can be found on a label attached to the printer. An example of the IP Address is 141.161.888.999.If your printer does not have a label indicating the IP Address, or you cant identify what model it is, pleasecall your Help Desk.Setting Up a Network Printer1. Click on the Start button, then click Control Panel, then click Printers and Faxes, then click AddPrinter.
2. A new AddPrinter Wizardwindow opens.Click Next tostart.3.Select Local printer attached to thiscomputer. Makesure Automaticallydetect and installmy Plug and Playprinter is NOTchecked.4. Then click Nextto continue.
5. We will createa new port foryour networkprinter.Select Create anew port.6. Beside Typeof Port, click onthe down arrow,then click onStandardTCP/IP Port.7. Click Next tocontinue.
8. A newAdd PrinterPortWizard willopen.Click Next tocontinue.
9. You mustnow typeyourprinters IPAddress inthe PrinterName or IPAddressfield.10. The PortName willautomatically befilled whenyou enterthe IPAddress. Donot changethe PortName.11.Click Next tocontinue.
12. IF YOUHAVEPROBLEMS, then you will seethe screen onthe right. Thismeans that theIP Address forthe printer isNOT availableon thenetwork. Selectthe Back buttonand make sureyou entered thecorrect IPAddress. Checkto see that yournetwork printeris powered onand displays aready status.
13. IF YOU DIDNOT HAVEPROBLEMS, Windows XP will scan thenetwork to findyour printers IPAddress. This maytake a fewseconds. SelectFinish tocontinue.
14. You must nowselect the printersmanufacturer andmodel. Windows XPwill automaticallyselect thedetected manufacturer and printer driver.Normally, you will nothave to change thisselection.15. OPTIONAL: Ifyour printer is listedbut you have morethan one printermodel to choosefrom, please selectthe model with PS, ifavailable.16. IF your networkprinter is NOTautomaticallydetected, select theWindows Updatebutton to find theproper softwaredrivers.Note: If your printer is not automatically recognized using Windows Update, please call your Help Desk.
17. You will beprompted toconfirm theselected printerdriver. Make sureKeep existingdriver is selected,then click Next tocontinue.18. You will beprompted to assignthe printer a Name.You can use thedefault name, oradd more info toindicate the printerlocation, such as MyOffice, Hallway,Foyer, Room 222,etc.19. Select Yesif you want touse the printer asthe defaultprinter. Click Next to continue.
20. You will beprompted to sharethe networkprinter. Do NOTshare the networkprinter.21. Click Next tocontinue.22. You will beprompted to printa testpage. Select Yes,then click Next.23. Check yournetwork printer tomake sure yourpage printed.Select Yes whenprompted toconfirm asuccessful testpage.24. Click on theFinish button tocomplete the AddPrinter Wizard. Congratulations! If your test page printed, you have successfully installed the network printer.
Note: If you had problems and did not get a test page, please call your Help Desk.