• Youtube fundamentals.
• Uploading, embedding, sharing, commenting
on, and tagging videos.
• Connecting your Youtube Channel to Google+
• Linking your Youtube Channel to your
• Loading videos into Google Hangout
• Hoover over edit button on your channel
– Choose ‘Edit Links’ or ‘Edit Channel Art’
• You can add links to your website/blog,
Google+, Twitter, Facebook, etc. that will
appear on your Youtube channel.
• Go to ‘+ Channel Trailer’ button
• You can add a trailer that viewers will see
when they visit your channel.
• Click on ‘edit’ button and you can display your
playlist if you have created them.
• Click on dropdown menu to see other options
• The ‘Video Manager’ button appears in the
dropdown menu next to the ‘Upload’ button.
• Info and settings: allows you to adjust the way
video is seen by others,
– e.g. public, unlisted (by link only), or private.
– Add in title, description and tags.
• If Youtube account is connected to Google+,
you can connect to circles when on ‘private’.
Other Video Manager Settings
• Enhancements: you can alter the presentation
• Audio: You can add audio on top of a
particular Youtube video that you’ve already
– Can choose what music, volume, and over which
sections of the video you want it to play (click on
‘Position Audio’ button)
Video Manager Settings Continued
– Click ‘+ Add Annotations’ button and choose from
the options of the style of annotation
• e.g. speech bubble, note, title, spotlight, label.
• Here is where you can add notes and links to
your Youtube video here.
• Note: you can add your website, Google+
profile/page, and subscribe to your video
here. Click on ‘Associated Website’.
• Captions are usual for people with hearing
difficulties. They can read the text on the
• Click on ‘Upload caption file or transcript’
– Provided someone has transcribed your video.
• You can also use ‘Automatic Captions’. They
may not be accurate but you can edit them.
• This can be used to create Podcasts.
• Download MP4 and extract audio from it.
• Can edit it and re-upload content.
Use Promote when you want to pay for more
people to see your videos.
• Playlists are used to bring content together
into particular themes.
• You can edit Playlists from the ‘Uploads’ tab in
• Or, you can click on ‘+ Add Playlist’ button on
your channel homepage.
• Metadata is “data about data”. Structural
Metatdata (design) vs. Descriptive Metadata
• A tag is a non-hierarchical keyword or term
assigned to a piece of information (Wikipedia)
• Tags allow users to find your videos more
readily and easily.
• Search for Youtube tags and label your videos
Channel Page Settings
• Monetisation: You can take advantage of
Youtube’s advertisement system in order to make
money from your videos.
• It allows for a custom thumbnail to be put into a
• ‘Customised Thumbnail’ button will not appear
on homepage unless ‘Monetisation’ is switched
• Adds flexibility to how you display the front of
• You can have an Avatar that is clickable.
– What is an Avatar? An icon/figure representing a
particular person in a digital context.
• Featured Video: A video Youtube selects because
they think it is good for other people to view.
• Featured Channels are indicated by the channel
• Related Channels are indicated by Youtube
• This is where you set up your ‘Associated
Website’ as mentioned earlier.
• Here is where you can control advertisements
and how they appear on your channel and
alongside your videos.
• Where you can make changes to ‘Account
• Gives you an ‘Overview’ of the performance of
all of your videos.
• Estimated earnings from ‘Monetisation’.
• Everything in this area is clickable and it will
show you graphic visualisations of your
• You can look at who sent you messages.
• Respond to messages here.
• Create a video post in response to messages.
• Webcam capture straight into Youtube.
• Create a photo slideshow from your photo
• Add music to slideshow for free (list of over
150,000 tracks provided).
• Google+ Hangout to create a ‘Hangout on Air’
• Video editor: add music, text, images, and
creative commons material to your videos.
• You can see who has shared particular
• You can connect your social media accounts
to your Youtube channel.
• Shows you all the activity from your
Looking at a Video
Buttons to note:
• ‘Add to’
• Click on ‘Share’ button
• Copy and paste URL.
• Sharing options include: Facebook, Twitter,
• You can change the ‘Start at’ time of the
video you share.
• Within the ‘Share’ tab, click on ‘Embed’.
• Copy the code that is provided and paste it
into your website.
– Use the ‘visual’ button in Wordpress to access
HTML for posts.
• Video size can be changed here.
• Videos can also be shared via ‘Email’
• Youtube videos can be shared and watched by a
group of people on Hangout.
• Click on the ‘Hangout’ button from the ‘Share’
• If your Youtube Channel and Google+ account are
connected, the video can be loaded into the
Youtube app and shared to a Hangout
• A live ‘Hangout on Air’ will appear on your
Youtube Channel homepage.