7. "For the first time in history, we
know now how to store virtually
all humanity's most important
information and make it
available, almost instantly, in
almost any form, to almost
anyone on earth. We also know
how to do that in great new
ways so that people can interact
with it , and learn from it."
Dryden Gorden & Vos, Jeannette (2005). The New
Learning Revolution: How Britain Can Lead the World
in Learning, Education, and Schooling. UK: Network
Educational Press Ltd. p. 127.ISBN 978-1855391833.]
Smart mobs emerge when communication and
computing technologies amplify human talents
9. The Personal Learning Network
• People you ‘know’ and trust
• Can be anywhere
• Status is no barrier
• Anyone can be an author…
10. User Generated content…..
11. What tools help you to create
12. What tools help you to create
• Slide shows
• Office suite
22. Some web services supporting
• Write to Them
23. Investigating the services
• Is the information reliable?
• How is the quality governed?
• Who contributes the information?
• How is the information useful?
24. • iSpot
• Anyone can contribute
• Limited range of people
• Some erroneous data
• Likely most mistakes will be corrected
• Significant scientific value
• UN data
• Made data accessible
• Undermined preconceptions
26. Write to them
They work for you
• Made data data accessible
• Allows access to politicians
• Mostly reliable – it depends on the subject
• Extremely comprehensive
28. Your Project..
• 1,500-2,000 words equivalent. Create a collaborative space within a
chosen online social environment, and invite other students to participate
in a learning activity. Report on the outcomes, indicating how these were
influenced by the key decisions which were made, including choice of
software, activities undertaken, and the level and type of engagement of
the participants. The work may be presented as a document, or in an
alternative format (e.g. web pages, or a blog (50%). (LOs 1-6).
29. Planning your Project
• What are your aims?
• What do you need to do?
• What resources will you need?
• How long will it take?