1. Mrs. Cindy Cooper, Principal DRMS Mission Statement: Dean Rusk Middle School is committed to a learning environment of cooperation that will encourage the maximum development of academic, physical, social, and emotional growth. Our mission is to enable students to become successful participants and life long learners in a global society.
2. Dean Rusk Middle School Belief Statements1. Each student should be provided an opportunity and encouraged to learn, achieve, and succeed in a cooperative endeavor among the school, the home, and the global community.2. Each student’s needs and learning styles should be met with quality staff teaching a core curriculum that offers optimum development in communication, math, science, social studies, physical education and health skills. In addition, a variety of connections courses should be provided to afford students the opportunity to discover and develop talents, interests, or abilities in areas such as art, music, foreign language, family and consumer science, career education, application and exploration of technologies, and business technologies.3. Students should have an opportunity to participate in experiences that meet their social and developmental needs through programs such as service clubs, student support groups, and mentoring.4. The total education experience should promote an awareness of diversity, high standards of behavior and achievement, and an understanding of consequences that occur as a result of one’s actions.5. Students have the right to learn in a safe, clean, organized, well-maintained environment.
3. TheGeneral Assembly of Georgia created councils to “bring communities and schools closer together in a spirit of cooperation to solve difficult education problems, improve academic achievement, provide support for teachers and administrators, and bring parents into the school-based decision- making process.”
4. SchoolCouncils shall provide advice, recommendations, and assistance and represent the community of parents and business.
5. Members of the School Council will serve for a term of two years. The council will have a minimum of seven members. Parents must make up the majority of the council and at least two members representing the business community. A parent member must serve as the chair.
6. Parent/Business Members: - vacant, Parent - Mrs. Felicia Kyle, Parent - Mrs. Jeannette Carter, Parent- Mrs. Ann Lynn Galloway, Parent - PTSA Co- President - vacant, Business Partner Faculty/Staff Members: - Mrs. Cindy Cooper, Principal - Mr. William Morris, Teacher - Mrs. Amelia Ormsby, Teacher
7. The electing body for parent members shall consist of all parents and guardians eligible to serve as a parent member. The electing body for the teacher members shall consist of all certified personnel eligible to serve as a teacher member.
8. Nominations are accepted by the Principal from within the electing body prior to the voting meeting. Nominations must be submitted in writing (email, fax, letter are all acceptable) by 8/24. One vote shall take place with the highest vote recipient(s) being elected to serve on the school council for a 2-year term. You must be present to vote. A person does not have to be present at the time of the vote to be elected to the council.
9. All parent nominations are DUETO PRINCIPAL in writing by 8/24 Please complete the council nomination formlocated on the DRMS homepage sample on the next slide parent MEMBER ELECTION 9/4/2012: PTSA Curriculum night, 7:00 pm ,Cafeteria
10. DEAN RUSK MIDDLE SCHOOL NOMINATION FORMName:__________________________________________________________________________Phone:__________________________________________________________________________Email Address:____________________________________________________________________Grades of children attending Dean Rusk MS in 2012-13:___________________________________Previous volunteer experiences related to your child(ren)’s education:_______________________________________________________________________________________________________Please explain why you would like to serve on the Dean Rusk School Council:Please submit to Mrs. Cindy Cooper, Principal, no later than Friday, August 24, 2012. Nominations may besubmitted electronically to email@example.com, or may be dropped off in theAdministration/Attendance Office. Nominations must be in writing.
12. Officers will be elected by the School Council at the first meeting following the election of the School Council Members.1st Meeting: Friday, September 21, 2012 7:15 AM – 8:15 AM DRMS Conference Room Chairperson – vacant Vice-Chairperson – Jeannette Carter Secretary – Felicia Kyle
13. Maintain a school-wide perspective on issues Participate in council meetings Participate in information and training programs Act as a link between the school council and the community Encourage the participation of parents and others within the school community Work to improve student achievement Provide advice and recommendations to the school principal and local board of education
14. You can vote for multiple nominees on one ballot. Only one ballot can be cast per person on 9/4 from 6:45 PM – 8:30 PM. You must be present to vote. Nominees do not have to be present to win. Winners will be notified by the Principal by 9/7.2012-2014 School Council Nominees: please place a check next to your nominee selection(s)TBD – ParentTBD – ParentTBD – ParentTBD – Business Representative