• The Tokugawa shogunate, was
the last feudal Japanese military
government which existed
between 1600 and 1868.
• The heads of government were
Shogun:a military commander
Samurai:a class of highly skilled warriors,
Farmers or peasants
• The Tokugawa shogunate ruled
from Edo Castle.
• This time is also called the
Tokugawa period] or pre-modern
• The Tokugawa Shogunate closed of
Japan to outsiders, it maintained
diplomatic relations only with Korea
• In the mid 1800s U.S. decided to force
an end to Japan’s Isolation.
• The goal was to open
trade with the island
• In 1853, The
Perry and a fleet of four
U.S. warships sailed into
• Perry Presented a letter
demanded that Japan
open trade relations with
• Japan was forced to open relations with U.S.
and other European Nations.
• In 1867, rival leaders forced the end of the
• The period between 1868 and 1912 is called
the Meiji Restoration = Enlightened Rule
• During this period Japanese Officials
modernize and westernize the nation
• 1st They made a study of Western technology and
Science as well as Political and economic ideas.
• 2nd They put an end to feudalism and made Japan an
• 3rd The Meiji adopted a constitution modeled after
Germany’s which establishes a legislature divided by
the upper house and the lower house
• 4th They created a subsidy program: the japanese
government provided money to hel start new
• 5th They built a railroad and a telegraph
system, harbors and roads were improved.
• 6th They created a banking system and a postal system
• 7th They set up a modern army and navy. All men had
to serve in the army for three years.
• 8th The public education system was created as in the
U.S. all boys and girls had to attend to school for six
REASONS FOR JAPANESE
1.Japan lacked many of the
natural resources like coal
2.The population grew and
they had a lack of living
• In 1874 Japanesse seized the Ryuku
• In 1895 Japan added Taiwan to its
• In 1905 Japan and Russia went to war
and Japan won, Japan added part of
• In 1910 Japan added Korea to its territory