3. Create a simple gift tag and garland
You will need some gift wrap paper, stickers,
blank gift tags. All of these items were from The
Paper Source (www.paper-source.com).
It is easiest to start off with a basic color or
theme. This holiday I am loving the chalkboard
lettering trend and chose neutral colors with a
pop of red.
4. Pick a theme or
color to start with.
I like working with at
These items from Paper
5. Additional Supplies Needed
• Scissor, glue, pencil, single hole punch, raffia
or string, ribbon
6. STEP 1
Trace out shape on to back of paper. HINT: use a pencil as
some papers are thin and pen could show through
7. STEP 2
Adhere paper to gift tag blank. HINT: Trace your tags in
different directions if your template is a blank. This creates
more interest if you decide to use a string of tags as garland.
8. STEP 3
Using a single hole punch, punch hole on to your tag . HINT:
Do not punch hole close to the top. If you do and start feeding
ribbon through you could rip the hole.
9. STEP 4
Embellish with stickers, raffia as desired. This is a very simple
example but you are only limited by your imagination. HINT:
Try adding glitter or beads to the tag and give it that extra
Your gift tag is now
complete. HINT: I love
using one paper to wrap
and a different paper for
Using these basic steps you
can now create a holiday
Repeat the previous steps 1 – 4 for as many tags you want
in your garland. HINT:
If your template has a distinctive shape, trace the patterns in
two different ways to create more interest in your garland.
For a shape like a round ornament you don’t need to worry
11. When you finished embellishing your shapes and have
punched a hole at the top, begin stringing the pieces together.
HINT: Leave a tail at the beginning and end of your string to
hang. As you thread the raffia or ribbon through each shape,
tie a knot on each ornament so they maintain their space on
the entire string.
12. When you have reached the length you desire you are
ready to hang your homemade garland.
13. You can use this concept for other ideas beside Holiday.
• Using a shape of a baby bottle, do a garland for a
• Take your child’s favorite animal and create a fun
garland for their birthday party or room décor.
• Create round or square shapes and create a letter on
his shape for a child’s room.
• You can really take this idea and run with it. It takes
no time at all.
14. With just a couple simple supplies, you can create one-of-a-kind
cards for your friends and family. The only limit is your
imagination! For more ideas and hints on bringing creativity into
your daily life visit my blog, “The Everyday Muse” @