Almost all online consumers (97%) use online media when researching products or services in their local area [source: BIA/Kelsey study, 3/10/10]What we’re seeing at Google:1 in 5 desktop searches are related to location [source:Google blog, 4/20/10]. Think of the millions of searches made everyday online to get an estimate of the amount of local activity happening on Google. About 1 in 3 mobile search queries are made by people looking for something in their local area [source: Google mobile blog]For example, iPhone users conduct 30% more daily queries from Maps than do computer users[source: Google Internal stat]
10mfacebook users in Thailand
The reason SMB customers need a service provider is because they are either not interested too busynot able to do it themselves. For example: it may also be a poor waste of time for a plumber who instead of spending a hours managing his adwords campaign could be billing clients
6. Information<br />20 Years AgoLocal libraries, morning papers<br />Now4 billion global searches per day<br />6<br />Source: According to Comscore, in June 2008 there were over 60 billion searches conducted worldwide - equivalent to more than 2 billion searches per day on average<br />
7. Communication <br />210 Billion<br /> Emails & IMs sent per day<br />900,000 posts<br />posted daily by bloggers . Eq. To 19 years of NY Times<br />Source: Gizmodo, Dec 09<br />
8. Entertainment<br />35 hours <br />Video uploaded to YouTube per minute <br />eq. to 235,000<br /> Full-length movies uploaded per week<br />Source: Google data, Nov 10<br />
9. Community<br />860 Million<br />Internet users on <br />a social network<br />5,000 every second<br />Number of tweets at peak time<br /> Source: Mary Meeker, Oct 09 & Apr 10<br />
10. Mobile<br />Over 3B app downloads and counting<br />Average Android user downloads 40 apps<br />25% of iPhone & Android users spend2 hrs/day in apps<br />10<br />Source: Google Internal Data, based on a basket of 20,000 keywords within the shopping category, AdMob May 2010, Complete Inc. 09, mocoNews 09<br />
11. Commerce<br />20 years ago Local shops, catalogues<br />Now<br />85% of internet usersworldwide have bought something online<br />
12. Consumers Are Spending More Time Online<br />Total US Advertising Spend<br />Media Consumption<br />$303 Billion<br />6% Online<br />The Opportunity<br />Going Online<br />14 hours per week<br />41% of their time<br />Gap between ad spend and media consumption<br />22% TV<br />20% Direct Mail<br />Watching TV<br />14 hours per week<br />14% Newspapers<br />5% Yellow Pages<br />4% Magazines<br />7% Radio<br />Listening to Radio<br />4 hours per week<br />21% Other Media<br />Reading Magazines, 2 hours<br />Reading Newspapers, 1 hour<br />Source: “US Entertainment and Media Consumer Survey Report 2007” JupiterResearch (April 2007); Universal McCann (June 2007); eMarketer (Feb 2007); Google internal estimates<br />
13. The Web Is Going Local<br />1 in 5 desktop searches are related to location.**<br />1 in 3 mobile searches are related to location.**<br />97% online consumers use the web to research for products.*<br />Source: *Yahoo! and comScore Study Finds Online Consumers Who Pre-Shop on the Web Spend More In-Store. July 2007. **Source: Google<br />
14. 60% of consumers are more likely to engage with an ad that is relevant to their location.<br />60% of local searches result in purchases<br />Source – TMP/Comscore, JiWire <br />
15. Thailand – Online Trend<br />
16. Thailand Internet User 2009<br /><ul><li>APAC is the fastest growing internet population in the world
17. On average, internet users across the region each spent 16.8 hours per month.
18. From Sep 2008-2009, the number of searches jumped by 33%.
19. In Sep 09, the region made 38.6 billion searches, average up to 88 searches per user in that month.
20. 44% of search activity in Sep 09 took place on Google</li></ul>Source: Internetworldstat, April 2010<br />16<br />
21. Broadband and Internet Households<br /><ul><li>670,000 household will become part of the internet world this year.
22. This represents a YoY growth of 14.6%.
23. Thailand is ranked 9th in Asia in terms of Broadband Penetration Rate, 2008 (Source: Pyramid Research and Light Reading, “Top 10 Telecom Market: Asia,” February 9, 2009)</li></ul>17<br />Source: eMarketer.<br />17<br />
24. AdvertisingSpend<br />YoYGrowth 2009<br />Share of total advertising 2009<br />18<br />Source: ZenithOptimediaAdvertisingExpenditureForecastsJuly 2010. EffectiveMeasure, 2011 <br />
25. In Sum, Thailand Online Market – Strong Growth Ahead<br /><ul><li>Internet population grew 6x between 2000 – 2009.
26. Internet penetration rate is at 24.4% … and growing</li></ul>Source: internet world stats/ emarketer.com<br />
27. Social Networks<br /><ul><li> Investments in social networks increasing steadily YoY worldwide at 12%. Advertising in social networks is increasingly seen as a complement to search campaigns</li></ul>Sources: eMarketer.<br />
28. It is time to integrate mobile into your strategy.<br />Mobile<br />
29. » Search engines with high usage – daily: 60% on smartphone, computer with much higher usage.<br />Smartphone<br />n= 944<br />Computer<br />n= 970<br />22<br />Usage Frequency of Search Engines<br />Base: Private smartphone users who use the internet in general / also the computer and who are searching via search engine<br />Q31: How often do you do searches (via Google Yahoo! Bing etc.) on your ... ?<br />
30. Used Search Engines<br />» Google is No. 1 in Thailand with great competitive advantage – no matter on which device.<br />Smartphone<br />Computer<br />Usage general<br />Mainly used<br />Others<br />None<br />n= 1000 / n= 944<br />n= 979 / n= 970<br />Base: Private smartphone users who use the internet in general / also the computer and who are searching via search engine<br />Q29: Which of the following search engines do you use to search for information on your ... ?<br />Q30: Which of the following search engines do you use most often on your ... ?<br />23<br />
31. Search Engine Attitudes<br />72%<br />71%<br />65%<br />63%<br />61%<br />52%<br />29%<br />Of people normally find websites via a search engine<br />Of people believe search engines quickly help them find relevant sellers of a product they are looking to buy<br />Of people believe search engines help them <br />find websites they wouldn’t find any other way<br />Of people think the placement of a brand on the search results page reflects the importance of the brand company<br />Of people expect leading brands to be on top of the search results page<br />Of people think information about a particular company, service or slogan in an offline channel has driven them to search for information online<br />Of people rarely or never look at more than one page of search engine results<br />Question: Thinking about times when you have used search engines to help you do your research for products or services, to what extent do you agree or disagree with the following statements:<br />Source: Q8 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base: n =2,001Top 2 on a 5 point scale=strongly agree, agree<br />24<br />
32. eCommerce Overview<br />
33. Total Purchase<br /><ul><li>Within the last 12 months, most consumers in Thailand have bought products from the Retail, CPG& Healthcare as well as Technology category. </li></ul>Share of Purchasers within last 12 months <br />Base: Onliner<br />For each vertical, the graph shows the percentage of respondents who purchased at least one product within the respective vertical. Multiple product purchases within a vertical are still only counted once - hence "net". The maximum net percentage therefore is 100%.<br />Question: When did you last buy any of the following products or services: within the last 3 months, the last 6 months, the last 12 months, more than 12 months or never?<br />Source: Q1 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base: n =2,001 <br />26<br />
34. Method of Purchase<br /><ul><li>Products have been purchased offline rather than online for all categories; Travel is the only category that has any clear online purchase pattern (37%). </li></ul>Method of Purchase<br />Base: Online and Offline Shopper<br />Question: Thinking about the last time you bought each of these products or services, how did you purchase them: online, by phone, by catalogue, in a store/agency/ showroom or any other way?<br />Source: Q2 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base varies for each product category <br />27<br />
35. Shifts in Thailand Online Consumer Behavior<br /><ul><li>More than 2/3 of Thai consumers say the internet is their first stop for information.
36. 40% of Thai internet users say that online presence significantly increase their interest in brands.</li></ul>Source: emarketer.com<br />
37. Payment, Legal and Financial<br /><ul><li>Payment Methods: The majority of the general population in Thailand prefer to carry cash for purposes of making daily payments for goods and services. Research suggests that 70% of the B2B transactions are mainly debit based payments in commercial banks while 65% of B2C transactions use credit card payments. In Thailand survey results of consumers ordering products on the Internet suggest that 40-60 per cent use credit cards, while 40 per cent use account-based money transfers which include direct debit, debit cards and fund transfer payments.Ref: Bank of Thailand
38. Legal Landscape: Thailand generally follows the civil law system. The legal landscape of Thailand changed with the introduction of new product liability legislation in 2009. This is a significant change to the liability terrain of businesses operating in Thailand. In general, however the legal landscape is moderately complex with some sectors being more regulated than others. Ref: Asialaw
39. Opportunities: Thailand is an export dependant economy with exports accounting for more than two thirds of GDP. Most of its workforce is in agriculture, forestry, and fishing. Tourism is an important industry and presents numerous opportunties. Ref: Economist
40. Financial overview: Strong local demand in the housing market. Resilient banking system and expansion of banking loan growth. Public debt at 42% of GDP. Bullish stock market riding on an expanding economy. Ref: CIA, Thailand business news</li></ul>29<br />For detailed information on all legal restrictions consult the resources on the import/export resource slide <br />
41. Top Thailand Sites<br />Source: http://internet.nectec.or.th/document/pdf/20070824_Important_Intenet_Statistics_of_Thailand.pdf<br />30<br />
42. Thank you!<br />
43. Google AdWords Authorized Reseller<br />
44. 33<br />The AdWords Reseller program is designed to support local players to address the SME opportunity <br />Google AdWords Eco-system<br />Users<br />Set up account directly with Google<br />SMB Advertisers<br />Opt to work with a third party to manage their advertising for them<br />
45. Online Marketing Can Be Challenging For SMBs<br /><ul><li>Lack of Awareness and Knowledge
46. Human Interaction and Time required
47. Need for Expertise</li></ul>34<br />
48. The Resellers are the local business consultants supporting SMB advertisers<br />35<br />Local Business Consultant With Unique Selling Proposition<br />Strategic Consulting<br />Sell & Manage AdWords<br />Training<br />GOOGLE PARTNER<br />Customer Service<br />Marketing<br />Technical Support<br />Billing & Collections<br />Financial Incentives<br />
49. Appendix<br />
50. 37<br />Thailand - ROPO Behaviour by Product Category (1/3)<br />Selection: Bought at least 1 product of the respective category in the last 12 months (max. n=18 items)<br />Source: Q2, Q3.1 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base varies for each product category <br />
51. 38<br />Thailand - ROPO Behaviour by Product Category (2/3)<br />Selection: Bought at least 1 product of the respective category in the last 12 months (max. n=18 items)<br />Source: Q2, Q3.1 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base varies for each product category <br />
52. 39<br />Thailand - ROPO Behaviour by Product Category (3/3)<br />Selection: Bought at least 1 product of the respective category in the last 12 months (max. n=18 items)<br />Source: Q2, Q3.1 / Consumer Commerce Barometer / TNS Infratest, Fieldwork June 8 - June 29, 2010 / base varies for each product category<br />