1. Observation AssignmentMilwaukee, Wisconsin – East Side Neighborhood By: Patrick Swelgin
2. Common Themes How easy is it to get to the store? What’s the storefront like? Security…who is in control? Do customers wander or are they guided? Are employees selling or filling a function?
3. How do you get to the store?Do your customers bike there? Install a bike rack out front.
4. How do you get to the store?Do your customers drive there? Have dedicated parking.
5. How do you get to the store?No parking or bike racks? Be sure the existing infrastructure is satisfactory!
6. What’s the storefront like?Is it windowless and intimidating? Will I get stabbed here?
7. What’s the storefront like?Is it confusing what it is they really sell? Is this a political committee or a shop?
8. What’s the storefront like?Do they invite you in, explicitly? Thanks, 7-11…one slurpie, please!
9. What’s the storefront like?Or, do you let customers look inside? That burrito looks GREAT!
10. Security…who’s in control?Are police cars typically out front? Don’t even think about shoplifting.
11. Security…who’s in control?Is the security system obvious? They want me know know they’re watching.
12. Security…who’s in control?Are the employees heavily guarded? No funny business here.
13. Security…who’s in control?Or, are the products just out in the open? Is this stuff really just on the street?!
14. Customer Flow Do you wander in an open environment? Self paced browsing Quick in and out Is there an obvious place you’re supposed to walk? Forced to see nearly everything Keep you there for a while
15. Employees Are they facilitating sales? They engage in conversation Guiding you do a decision Are they filling a role? Customer engages in conversation Facilitating the decision you already made
16. Closing Good store owners understand that everything sends a message (positive or negative) Easy to get to = They care more about my transportation and about me Customers feel comfortable = They will stay longer Make sure the message matches the products and culture of the store