1. Social reading● using Google Reader● using Delicious● using Twitter● Choosing networks and proposing platforms
2. Defining and serving networks● Answering questions posed by your community and publishing for them● Understanding of platforms
3. Content strategy● How, why and where to contact people in your community● Using analytics to find stories leads
4. More content strategy● People● Objectives● Strategy● Technology● Using all four to build content
5. Multimedia● Video tools● How web m-media is different● Importance of video and audio, slideshows
6. Mobile journalism● Reporting from the scene● Using technology to report live● Researching prior to event
7. Data - cleaning and compiling● Finding datasets, advanced searching● Interrogating data, understanding it● Manipulating the numbers to get news out
8. Data - communicating● Preparing data to be published● Visualisation techniques
THINK ABOUT STRATEGY"A plan of action or policy designed toachieve a major or overall aim."-- What did you do?-- Why? What research did youundertake?
THINK ABOUT MEASUREMENT-- Readership volume (daily, monthly)-- Social footprint (followers, likes)-- Quality of interactions online and socially-- PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF EVERYTHINGn.b. use the right terminology, so unique browsers, not "hits"
Your own evaluation● Talk us through what you did● Whats the thing youre most proud of?● What could you improve on?● What are you going to do about it
"NME reported a 14% drop year-on-year, to 27,650 sales – a 4.7% declinecompared to the previous six months" ABC, July-December 2011NME.com - 8 million unique browsers in February (according to Luke)
Networking@JoshHalliday "[Twitter] was a way to get into those circles without being too pushy… then I got invited down to London and meet peoplewhich I wouldn’t have otherwise as I don’t have friends or family hereYou should market yourself in a way that’s likeable… It’s abouttalking to people about things that you’re interested in, for me it was media and technology."More at http://bit.ly/psmithjosh
Dont be a churnalist"If youre a journalist and you re-write the oddpress release and make a few phone calls,then I dont like you. I dont want you in mybusiness."Adam Smallman, Lloyds List head of content,Paywall Strategies 2012Add value in everything you do, dont follow the crowd.
Dont stop learningHow can you keep on learning new skills?● http://onlinejournalismblog.com/● http://www.journalism.co.uk/● http://blog.digidave.org/● http://www.bbc.co.uk/journalism/