Sheri Schmelzer: Founder, President, and
Chief Design Officer
By Patricia McTiernan
Honors Econ Period 4
• Mother of three
• Made millions
for her daughter’s
• Is now president and Chief Design Officer of a multi-
million dollar Croc Charm industry
• Started with an idea and a
• Small workspace in her
BASEMENT where she
worked painstakingly to
produce as many charms as
• Began locally marketing
the charms to family
members and friends
• Spread to local stores
• Launched a website
that was marketed by the local
stores that sold her Jibbitz and
• Easy to mass produce
(Schmelzer eventually moved
her business from her basement
to a manufacturing warehouse)
•Each Jibbitz sells for $2.50 a piece.
•Each Croc shoe can hold up to 12 charms
•That’s up to $60.00 in Jibbitz per each pair
of Croc shoes.
• Product was in high
demand and Schmelzer
eventually had to hire
employees to keep up
•Went through 9
prototypes before finally
developing a product that
• Came when her daughter ran into the FOUNDER of
Crocs, Duke Hansen
A little over a year later she sold her
business for $20million to the Croc
And is the current President
and Chief Design Officer
• Schmelzer proves that even in this day
success can come from unexpected ideas
and moments in our lives
• "Couple make $10 million on Crocs craze - Small business- msnbc.com."
Breaking News, Weather, Business, Health, Entertainment, Sports, Politics,
Travel, Science, Technology, Local, US & World News- msnbc.com. Web. 22
Feb. 2010. <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15121346/>.
• "Giznews.com: Jibbitz Launches Accessory Line to Personalize Crocs."
Giznews.com: Gizmos, gadgets, and great electronics...Get Gizzed! Web. 07
• "Jibbitz� Launches Accessory Line to Personalize Crocs ; Both Kids and
Adults Can Create Their Own Style by Adding Snap-On Flowers, Stones,
Peace Signs, Words and Designs in the Holes of the Clogs | Business Wire |
Find Articles at BNET." Find Articles at BNET | News Articles, Magazine
Back Issues & Reference Articles on All Topics. Web. 07 Feb. 2010.
• "Little Jibbitz, big pay oﬀ - The Denver Post." Home - The Denver Post.
Web. 07 Feb. 2010. <http://www.denverpost.com/ci_4442705>.
Work Cited Continued…
• "Sheri Schmelzer | Starting a Business and Growing your Company,
Ladies Who Launch." Women Entrepreneurs: Resources for Women in
Business & Networking Organizations. Web. 22 Feb. 2010.
• "Sheri Schmelzer: Accidental Entrepreneur | Your America | Reader's
Digest." Jokes, Cartoons, Food, Health, Sweepstakes, Word Power |
Reader's Digest Magazine Articles. Web. 22 Feb. 2010.
• "Snappy Jibbitz stylizer charms buyers of Crocs | Boulder County
Business Report." Business news, analysis, data and statistics for
Boulder and Broomﬁeld counties in Colorado -- Boulder County
Business Report. Web. 22 Feb. 2010.
• "SYSTEM AND METHOD FOR SECURING ... - Patent Search."
Google. Web. 07 Feb. 2010.
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.