2. Four Flawed Men• Gideon defeated the Midianites• Barak defeated the Canaanites• Samson defeated the Philistines• Jephthah defeated the Ammonites.
3. Gideon (Judges 6ff)• Gideon was fearful!Turns out that Gideon made a fine militaryleader once he got past his fear. As long asGideon thought he couldn’t do it, he was right.But once faith replaced fear, he won a mightyvictory for the Lord.
4. Barak (Judges 4)• Barak was timid!Whenever you mention Barak’s name, you mustadd another name with it. It’s not just “Barak,”it’s “Deborah and Barak.” Barak was a good guywho was too dependent on women.
5. Samson (Judges 13-16)• Samson was out of control!It is very possible to be empowered by the Spiritof God to do great things and yet not to haveyour life yielded to the full control of the HolySpirit. He was a man of God who lackedcommon sense. He was empowered by theSpirit yet he often lived in the flesh. That’sSamson-"a riddle wrapped in a mystery insidean enigma.”
6. Jephthah (Judges 11-12)• Jephthah was Foolish!“Jephthah the Gileadite was a mighty warrior.His father was Gilead; his mother was aprostitute.” When he grew up, his own familyturned against him so he ran away and gathereda group of thugs who joined his gang. That’sJephthah, a man from a bad background whobecomes an Old Testament gang leader.
7. Lessons From Four Cracked Pots1. God uses flawed people to demonstrate His grace so that when the victory is won, He alone gets the glory. Paul said the same thing in 2 Corinthians 4:7, “Now we have this treasure in clay jars, so that this extraordinary power may be from God and not from us”
8. Lessons From Four Cracked Pots2. God honors faith, and He seeks it so much that He will honor people who otherwise do some very stupid things. We all labor under a sense of our own failure.
9. Lessons From Four Cracked Pots3. God’s redeeming grace of God covers a multitude of sins. We should not be be surprised that God includes these four flawed heroes in the Hall of Fame. We should be glad they made the Book because that means God can use people like us too.