2. Who am I? Paul Spreadbury, SEO Account Director, MEC• Head of SEO, Just Search @paulspread• SEO Account Director, MEC
3. What is Authorship?• Method to verify a connection between content and a Google + account• Way for Google to verify links are trustworthy• More relevant data for rankings than social• A way of adding a human element to link building• A way of reducing duplicate content issues
4. Technical Implementation• Create a Google Plus account• Ensure you have a profile picture with a recognizable headshot• Add a by-line on your content pages - e.g. by Paul Spreadbury
5. Technical Implementation - Email Verification Authors content page on Google + profile page mecglobal.com email: “by Paul Spreadbury” linked to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com• Check you have an email address on the same domain as the content• Ensure the content has a by-line identifying you as the author e.g. ‘By Paul Spreadbury’• Visit https://plus.google.com/authorship and submit your email address to Google. This will add your email to the contributor section of your Google + profile• Use the structured data tool located at http://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/richsnippets to test it all works
6. Technical Implementation - Content Verification Contributor to Google + Profile Blog home page Page rel=“author” Author’s content page Step 1 – Create a link to your Google + profile from your content page -<a href="https://plus.google.com/108182861589098673464? rel=“author">Paul Spreadbury</a> Sept 2 – Add a reciprocal link back from your Google + profile page - Edit the contributor to section - Add a custom link - Enter the website URL
7. How long does it take to appear in the SERPs • High social following Power User • Lots of people in circles • Face may appear in SERPS very fast (1 week) • Posts regularly Normal User • Has a reasonable social presence • Face may appear in a few weeks • Rarely posts Low Level • Very little social following • Post may take months to appear We can make assumptions, but Google will decide!
8. What does authorship do? “Provides an ability to rank content based on the content owner and their online reputation”“Makes it harder for SEOs to manipulate the system” “Significantly improves click through rate”
9. Authorship – Possible ranking factors As authorship also links into Google + there can be many ranking factors implementedPossible authorship ranking factors• Number of +1s the author content receives• The number of Google+ circles the author has• The authority of the sites the authors content has been published to• The author’s social metrics• Engagement level of authors Google + Page• Average Page Rank of authors content
10. Or are Google simply trying to get more Google + users
11. Authorship and Link Building
12. SEO Updates - Death of low quality linksThere have been clear signs of Google devaluing links Google Panda - Review of web content (Feb Google Penguin 2012-onwards) - Over optimisation update - Pushing towards high quality link (April, May, Oct 2012) building Google Disavow tool Links warning issued - Tool for removing low quality - Google sends over 1,000,000 links, doing Google’s job for links warnings (19th July 2012) them (16th October 2012)
13. How could this impact? BLOG/CONTENT PRODUCER Low Quality sites have plagued the internet Poor articles, spun content, low quality content will be hit again POWER AUTHORS Respected authors will have a strong profile These authors will be highly sought after Agencies will need to build power author0s BRANDS No longer can they just rely on copywriters Writers will need a social presence LINK BUILDERS Quality content from authors will be difficult to find Relationships will be even more important
14. Engage off line to build authority online Engage off line to build authority online
15. Link Building - Tools for the Job SEOs need to use tools to find quality content from established authors Maintaining these relationships will become an even more important part of their strategy
16. Use Google Plus to find authors • Google’s going to be looking at it, so should you Writing Experiences Social Popularity Past writing Personal InformationTwitter, Facebook, circles experiences, who they are Author bio, where they work authors for
17. Finding and engaging with key authors Finding key authors Engaging with authors• Use tools to find authors • Engage through social media• Evaluate author by reviewing • Build relationships slowly - People in circles • Advise them to get authorship - Twitter Followers implemented if they haven’t already - Contributor field - Past content • Attend industry meet ups• Look at other domains in your • Offer to speak at conferences niche to find key authors • Comment on industry blogs and• Look for high quality blogs build visibility
18. Authorship for larger brands
19. Brands should invest in Content and People • Employ people passionate about • Don’t tie an author to any old your sector content • Employ people with strong online • Invest in content that is profiles interesting • Post updates to Google + • Allow staff the time to become an regularly authority • Optimise the About Me section of • Specialise in your topic area Google +
20. Becoming a Powerful brand Some large brands will find it difficult to highlight their people. Large brands can be opposed to giving people credit. However, they should use their own people to build their online profiles.
21. Should it be implemented as an SEO strategy• SEOs should start implementing author rank in their strategies now• Building author rank now will gain an advantage when Google change• Google will continue to punish low quality content and link building• Verifying author provides a way of punishing anonymity• Don’t just publish posts on sites you control!