V St t ision aementforR er iv side “The‘ Common Practices’ at Riverside become ‘ Common Sense’ in E ducation”
Per lV St t sona ision aementforaPr ct ioner a itMaximizing our potential to maximize their potential
Ahaa moments• M aking ‘ relevance’ – ‘ relationships’ and relevance relationships ‘ rigor’ VISIBL E in the tim etable rigor• M aking them the found ation for all your planning• M aking them the non-negotiables
Relevance• Relevance is the ‘ WH Y’ of what you d o Y• Relevance is the connections – the big id ea• Relevance is the visibility of your practice to all stakehold ers• Relevance is the ‘ value’ you put to the ‘ choices’ value choices you m ake
• C onstant search to ensure that the inform ation that I encounter has m eaning – that m eans anything that I seek to spend tim e with, ad d s to m e as a hum an being and therefore is worth sharing• It starts with the journey of being aware, then enables (apply and use), and finally em powers (innovate – beyond d epend ency- toward s ind epend ence)• M ore conversation less instruction• K nowing the relevance of our learning enables us to be m ore com petent and less helpless
Relationships• We have relationships with people and not titles• Relationships is the ‘ value’ you put to the value ‘ choices’ you m ake choices• Purpose of relationships is to red uce dependency and increase independence. independence Therefore m aking us m ore com petent and less helpless
Rigor• Relevance enables rigor• Relationships ensure rigor (you want to d o m ore)• Showing the relevance of rigor as a craft and not a chore and therefore again enables rigor• Build s positive self esteem , self worth and awareness of com petencies / potential• Therefore this self awareness of com petencies and potential m akes us more competent and less helpless
• Relevance / relationships and rigor help us to traverse the ‘potential’ continuum by going from• Awareness, then• E nabling and finally• E mpowering
Beacons• Are guid ing principles to ensure that the 3R’s use the relevant vehicles to reach the beacons• L anguage Package• C reative Thinking• L ogical/ athem atical Thinking M• Scientific Thinking• Problem Solving• C raftsm anship• Inter/ Intrapersonal Skills• C itizenship• Ad aptability• ( ICT is inclusive – transbeacon)
Beacons for Key Stage 1 j ourney towards sel awareness f• L anguage Package – ( relevance ) to make complex world simple and therefore being more competent and less helpless• C reative Thinking – ( relevance ) nurturing and celebrating curiosity which enables habits of mind ( risk taking, inquiring, research )• Intra/Interpersonal skills – ( relevance ) self awareness that leads to knowledge of competencies which makes one less helpless. Inter personal leads to build relationships, work in teams and identify leadership potential
• C raftsm anship – ( relevance ) quality determines value bringing pride and self worth making one more competent and less helpless!• L ogical Thinking – ( relevance ) provides skills (sequencing, options, prioritizing ) to reach destination• Scientific Thinking ( grad e 2 ) – ( relevance ) attributing natural phenomena to reasoning by using the skill of observation - and not magic and therefore, my friends, making one more competent and less helpless!
Beacons for Key Stage 2 j ourney from dependence to independence• L anguage Package – ( relevance ) providing strategies to traversing the journey from appreciation to enjoyment• C reative Thinking – ( relevance ) providing strategies to nurture ‘thinking outside the box’ to address specific need/audience• Intra/Interpersonal skills – ( relevance ) providing strategies that make ‘visible’ the journey of growth, be it social, physical, emotional or cognitive
• C raftsm anship – ( relevance ) providing strategies to traverse the journey from novice to proficiency• L ogical/ athem atical Thinking – ( relevance ) M providing strategies to understand causal relations in real world scenarios• Scientific Thinking – ( relevance ) providing strategies to develop the scientific temperament ( hypothesis to experimentation )
• Problem Solving – ( relevance ) providing strategies to identify the problem as a ‘problem’ and solve the problem in the best possible manner ( identifying ones competencies/ weaknesses and when needed, seeking help )• C itizenship – ( relevance ) awareness of disparity as a reality• Ad aptability – ( relevance ) not being helpless ‘outside comfort zone’
Goal for Key Stage 3journey from independence to interd epend ence The beacons will ‘ empower’ us to empower make the best choices keeping our‘ competencies’ to solve problems and competencies fashion products that are of value in one or more cultures!