Why is it you can remember the name of your first grade teacher or lyrics to a song you don’t even like, but you can’t remember the 4 things you went to the store to buy or the answers to an exam you studied for?
Our brains evolved to code and interpret complex stimuli such as images, colors, structures, sounds, smells, tastes, touch, positions, emotions and language.
We use these to make sophisticated models of the world we live in.
Our memories store all of these very effectively.
Unfortunately, a lot of the information we have to remember in modern life is presented differently – as words printed on a page.
1. Why Can’t I Remember?A brief explanation of why finalexams are so hard, and how to help make it easier.
2. Quickly Answer These Questions What color shirt was the teacher wearing in your last class? What time did you leave the house this morning? What did you eat for breakfast yesterday? What did you eat for lunch on Christmas day?
3. Now Tell ME…What did the grey text say on the first slide ofthis presentation?_ _____ _____________ ___ _____ ______ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _, _ _ _ _ _ ___ ____ ____ ___ _ _ _ _ _.
4. Why Can’t I Remember?A brief explanation of why finalexams are so hard, and how to help make it easier.
5. So…What Do We Do?
6. Remember these 7 items. Life raftGreen Trooper Hat Palm TreeRed Marquee Sign Skyscraper Snorkeling Mask Butter
7. What were they?1)2)3)4)5)6)7)
8. Now Study the Following Picture. Watch for the arrows!
9. What are the 7 items?
10. You can do this with your tests!What is the 16 th amendment of the US Constitution?
11. Finals should be nothing but a bigpicture and a story to explain them!