1. PaperG Adver+sing Sales Execu+ve Survey October 2012
2. SURVEY METHODOLOGY In September of 2012 PaperG conducted a survey consis;ng of 15 ques;ons about the future of sales, the integra;on of tablets in the workplace, and the use of third party ad inventory. Ques;ons were sent to a sample of 516 sales execu;ves at broadcast sta;ons and publishers who hold posi;ons at the manger, VP and director level, and are eligible to make decisions concerning digital campaigns, workplace IT and processes.
3. MOBILE ADVERTISING Are your prospec;ve clients interested in mobile adver;sing? Adver;sers and local businesses are very interested in mobile adver;sing.
4. MOBILE SALES OUTLOOK How op;mis;c are you that Q4 2012 sales numbers for mobile display adver;sing will be up year over year? Over half of sales execu;ves have a posi;ve outlook on the future of mobile display adver;sing.
5. SHARE OF AD SPEND As an es;mate, how much of each of your clients marke;ng budget do you receive? 85% of publishers receive less than half of their adver;sers total marke;ng budget. They could be capturing much more.
6. SELLING MORE DIGITAL ADS What would help sell more digital adver;sing? (Check all that apply) The top two ways to sell more digital adver;sing and eﬀec;vely capture larger por;ons of ad spend are beVer educa;on on digital ad value and having spec ads to show clients.
7. AD CAMPAIGNS a.) Have you ever lost money b.) Why didn’t the ad campaign start on ;me? (Check all that because an online ad campaign apply) did not start on ;me? Ad crea;ve is the leading reason that respondents have lost money due to an ad campaign not star;ng on ;me.
8. PRODUCT OFFERING Which digital ad products do you plan to oﬀer adver;sers in the next 3 months? (Check all that apply) Display ads remain to be the most popular form of adver;sing.
9. THE MOBILE SALES WORKFORCE a.) Are you considering buying a tablet for b.) If you are considering, what type of tablet your sales reps? did you/are you buying for them? (Check all that apply) Majority of ad sales execu;ves are planning to buy, or have already bought, tablets for their sales representa;ves; the tablet of choice is the Apple iPad.
10. WORKFORCE MANAGEMENT How do you track leads / sales? (Check all that apply) Ad sales teams haven’t all moved to the cloud. Most respondents u;lize an internal system or tradi;onal so_ware such as Microso_ Excel to manage and track sales.
11. RESELLING THIRD PARTY INVENTORY a.) Do you ever sell out of online ad b.) Have you sold 3rd party inventory (not inventory and could use more to sell? directly owned by your company) before? Due to a lack of ad inventory to sell, at least 1 out of 3 sales execu;ves are missing out on capturing a larger por;on of their clients’ marke;ng budget.
12. RESELLING THIRD PARTY INVENTORY Which 3rd party’s ad inventory have you sold before? (Check all that apply) Yahoo/RightMedia is the most popular inventory to resell among respondents.