NACCDO Innovators Network at Fred Hutchinson Dolbert-Schwartz-Bruning
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research
• What is Innovators Network?
• Why did we create it?
• How did we build it?
• The results
• What’s next?
What is Innovators Network?
• Like-minded people who are less than 45
– Want to save lives faster by supporting innovative,
early-stage research at Fred Hutch
– Commit to an annual gift of at least $1,000
– Targeted representation from some of Seattle’s
most impactful companies (Microsoft, Amazon
Why did we create it?
• Innovators Network was created in 2008 by a
group of friends rallying around a cancer
• Fred Hutch saw an opportunity to get in front of
the next generation of philanthropists
• We also wanted to ensure we were top of mind
for this group as they moved into a more
philanthropic stage of their lives
– Captured the interest of a group not yet committed to
a specific cause
How did we build it?
• Identified an initial group who were
committed to its success
• Had a Fred Hutch development staff member
who offered to “own” this new group
• Determined what kind of activities would
appeal to people in their 20s to 40s
– Happy hour formats 3X a year, showcasing rock
star young physicians and scientists
• Limited and defined time commitment, combining
social time and science
How did we build it?
• Recognized that social media and online
communications were the channels to bring this
– Focused on creating relevant, conversational, useful
social media and other online content
• Continually assessed interest
– Discovered members wanted a larger, more public
fundraising event. IN for the Hutch was created in
– Encouraged members to leverage external events and
develop cause-related marketing to benefit innovative
research at Fred Hutch
• Membership goal for 100 members by the end of the
– Ended up with 131 members
– Raised $306,000
• IN for the Hutch raised $232,000 in 2012, its initial
year; $363,000 in 2013. Committee wants this to be a
million dollar event
– Fundraising foci geared toward IN demographics
• Pediatric brain tumors, transplantation using cord blood
• FY 2013 had 210 members
– Since inception, have raised more than $1.5M for
• Continue to put the best and brightest of
Hutch scientists in front of IN members
• Make IN for the Hutch a million dollar event
• Create a structured plan to upgrade members
to President’s Circle ($10,000 annual giving)
while retaining IN loyalty
• Create a smooth transition to for IN members
as they age out of the under 45 demographic