2. Todays Plan● Resources for WordPress online ... and in Philly● The WordPress "Backend" ○ Changing your sites settings ○ Content types in WordPress ○ Writing in WordPress ○ Changing the themeGoals● You will have added some resources to your toolbelt (or bookmarks bar)● You can update your sites settings● You can update your sites content and themes in the backend
3. Resources Online ... and in Philly ● WordPress Codex: http://codex.wordpress.org ● GDI Phillys WordPress Group: http://www.facebook. com/groups/gdiphillywordpress/ ● Philly WordPress Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/Philadelphia- WordPress-Meetup-Group/ ● Philadelphia WordPress website: http://phillywp.org/ ● The GDI Intro to Programming has some more seats! Get on the waitlist: http://www.meetup.com/Girl-Develop-It-Philadelphia/
5. We have a website - now what?Whats your sites story?Hooray.com is a site that posts awesome things. They also consult onbeing awesome.Now lets walk through setting up Hooray.com on the adminside.
6. Exercise: Changing your sites settingsComplete/Answer the following: ● Change your sites "tagline" ● Update your permalink structure ● What tab would you go to to change the default image sizes? ● What version of WordPress are you using? Where did you find out? Gold Star! [Extra Credit] ● Disable comments by default ● Turn off pingbacks from your site ● Change your RSS feed to show 20 items. What was the default number?
8. Exercise: Writing and UpdatingComplete/Answer the following: ● Write a Post and a Page on edit screens in two different windows. Note the differences. ● Make a category and add your post to it. Can you add pages to categories? ● Add tags to your post. What are the benefits of tags? Gold Star! [Extra Credit] ● Go to your Post edit screen and choose "Screen Options." Add/remove areas and drag and drop for your preferred layout ● Trash a post and restore it ● Schedule a post for 2 minutes in the future ● Add a "Featured Image" to a post. What happens?
9. Media, Links, Comments ● Links can help you organize links outside your menu ● Approve and manage comments in the Comments area
10. Exercises: Media, Links, CommentsComplete/Answer the following: ● Upload a picture to the Media area (from your computer or the Web) ● Unapprove the default comment added by WordPress ● Add a link to the Links area Gold Star! [Extra Credit] ● Crop the image you uploaded to a new size and save it ● Write a comment on a post on your site and see what happens ● Make a new link category and organize the links in a new way
11. Lessons LearnedDo you ... ● Remember what our main resources are?Are you ... ● Able to update the name of your site and other settings?Can you ... ● Write and update content on your site?Are you ... ● Able to change your theme?
12. Homework! ● Join the Facebook group! ● Work on your site - updating the settings, writing sample content ... ● Research themes and find one that relatively fits your sites goalsAnd ... ● Find hosting if you want to launch next week