Pamposh Kumar |Initiatives in Learning & Exchange of
Water related Practices, Solutions & Values
Learning & Exchange: Moving Targets
Experience sharing and learning -
often can have collateral costs!
There could be learning at the cost of sharing
Also the sharing may cloud the essence of learning
Many Gurus thought it could be KM!
Yes, it can be………
• content management system in knowledge sharing
• webtools/sites development, hosting & upgradation to
improve information management
• toolkits, media use & sharing, specialized assistance on
tools such as GIS
• training & technical support for capacity building, multi-
project or single-project group studies or exchanges,
cross portfolio events- platforms
And there are more modes & the same
• Convening & support to local, regional &
transboundary dialogue processes
• Outreach and communications support & services -
to increase awareness, scalability, replication, impact and sustainability
• Co-creation of knowledge-sharing materials -Field Manuals,
Public Participation Guides, Communication Guidebooks, Experience Notes, Case Studies,
Multimedia, Newsletters and E-Bulletins
• Accompanied learning - IWRM and related cost of ecosystem services,
transboundary environmental flows & information management, economic valuation,
governance and management including public participation, etc.
The whole has more capacity
than the sum of its parts !
The whole has more capacity than
the sum of its parts !
• Access to project-related information, contacts, case studies, diagnostics,
strategic programmes, news and events across focal areas & sectors
• Replication for enhancing efficiency & effectiveness of interventions
• Synergy of tangible results with other initiatives
• Output utilization from conferences, global portfolio sharing,
guidance materials & products/services
• Policies-procedures, emerging priorities, project performance
Eco & WaSH Futures
support & catalysis
• Mentoring for community initiatives & innovation
• Addressing issues faced by one project & resolved by another
• World Water Day-Networking for WaSH (for States)
• Science for Sanitation (for States)
• UN Water Decade
• Consultative processes, knowledge sharing & networking
Eco & WaSH Futures
support & catalysis
• Capacity Building Workshops
• Local & regional dialogue facilitation
• Water Educator’s training
• Eco-regional approach/ Transboundary Waters
• Support for innovative models of outreach,
knowledge sharing, learning & solution exchange
Communities of Practice & Learning (CoPL)
Role of knowledge sharing and exchange hubs
• Portfolio workspaces & networking CoPLs in water stressed
• Sharing on scientific and technical innovation
(constructed wetlands and nutrient management, etc.)
• Web based knowledge-authoring & sharing tools (wikis, blogs, etc.)
• Syndication (news, web, video, audio )
• Strategic support- short courses, guidance on PPP & CSR,
jobs, consultancy, training opportunities
Beyond Learning Exchange !
• Are the concerned communities supportive?
• How much replicable are the best practices exchanged ?
• Can we simulate more of the best practices?
• Can we anticipate more and unexpected scenarios?
• Is the participation truly inclusive?
• Can we identify the barriers to learning exchange
• Can we develop approaches to self-review & analyse
organizational culture, policies and practices?
• Can we develop inter-cultural channels of learning
• Do we have indices of inclusion?
LI : deciding your own priorities for change
• creating inclusive cultures
• producing inclusive policies
• evolving inclusive practices
Towards Indices for LI
• Building supportive community
• Establishing inclusive values
• Producing inclusive policies
• Organising support for diversity
• Evolving inclusive practices
• Mobilising & sharing resources
• Growing nodal & distributed LI capacities
How do we handle minefields of renewal
& challenge the exclusion
Question hard the path of least
of most convenience!
Evidence base for LI Capacity
• Creating LI specialisation & cross-specialisation
capacity in Water Literacy
• Mobilising & harnessing inter-cultural and multi-
• Track of Learning Exchange & Solution Exchange
• Delivering LI services
• Developing it as integral part of existing development
policies & future plans
Match Possibilities Specialization A Specialization B
Match 1 Ecosystems
Match 2 Water Audit Watershed
Match 3 Livelihood
Match 4 Science
Match 5 Cultural
Cross-specialization capacity building
Eco & WaSH Literacy: A model initiative in
LI Capacity Building
• Voluntary Sector - cross-capacity building, LE & LI specialisation
• Public engagement with open- roots and open- leaves access
• Holding Learning Exchanges & Solution Exchanges
• Develop indices for LI capacity assessment framework
• Tracking the performance
Cogito ergo sum.
I understand, so I exist.