Map overlays for fun and profit
(or how to break Google Maps)
Why did I do this?
What is KML?
● “Keyhole Markup Language (KML) is an XML schema for
expressing geographic annotation and visualization within
Internet-based, two-dimensional maps and three-dimensional
Earth browsers. KML was developed for use with Google Earth,
which was originally named Keyhole Earth Viewer. It was
created by Keyhole, Inc, which was acquired by Google in
2004...” - Wikipedia
● Blah, blah, blah
● You can use it to make overlays for Google
Maps so you can show more information
What you need
● Big spec (tl; dr)
● This is all you need
You also need data!
Into Google Maps
● Goto “My maps”
● “Create new map”
● “Import” - hand it the KML you just made
● Alternately, do a search on “User-created maps”
● Find one
● Click “Save to My Maps”
● Kinda fun in browser
● More fun in Android
● “More Layers”
● “My Maps”
Back to the original idea...
● More data sources wanted
● Tried Streetcar
● Dug through web frontend, found
● Can make KML from this :)
● Website has a search
system, but not very
● Some work with
Firebug later, we can
get the data directly :)
Google map limits
● Only part of the Link data was coming up :(
● Built a stress-tester
● Meant to show a square grid of points
● 19x19 grid
● Left is desktop, right is Android...
● Need a better Google maps interface
● Partial loading of arbitrary maps
● Might be able to work around the issues....