1. The Pros and Cons ofusing Facebook in ELTBarbi Pál and Zsófi Lékai
2. Background Digital natives – internet has an important role in their lives More than 400 million active users More than 200 million log in every day Average user spends 55 minutes per day on Facebook Average user belongs to 13 Facebook groups
3. The QuestionShould we integrate Facebook (or other social networking sites) into education?
4. The Pros Promotes collaboration Even shy students can open up Indirect way of creating a learning community Actively engages students Increases teacher-student, student- teacher interaction
5. Convenient way of communicating with parents Connect with native speakers Authentic cultural material Creating a class Facebook group ◦ Sharing information ◦ Commenting on others’ posts ◦ Sharing reading experience ◦ Posting homework Class projects (e.g. sharing reviews)
6. The Cons Facebook addiction (multitasking, Facebook chat…) Privacy Issues (both on the teacher’s side and on the students’ side) Professional vs. personal relationships aren’t separated Teachers and students are „friends”?
7. Using the same site for personal (fun) and educational (not so much fun) purposes? Security problems There are students who are not on Facebook (or not active) Extremely time-consuming There are other ways of sharing files, material… (e.g. e-learning, class website, GoogleDocs…)
8. Your opinionDo you think Facebook can be useful in ELT? Would you use it?