• The judiciary (also known as the judicial system or court
system) is the system of courts that interprets and applies the
law in the name of the state.
• The Judiciary has the
constitutional jurisdiction to :
Resolve conflicts arising between the state & citizens over
Ruling whether specific laws are constitutional
Resolving conflicts between different institutions or levels of
3. Judiciary system of Pakistan is made up
of many Courts differing in levels of
legal superiority and separated by
jurisdiction. Some of the courts are
Federal in nature while others are
4. • Pakistan's judicial system stems directly from the system
that was used in British India as on independence in
1947, the Government of India Act 1935 was retained as
a provisional Constitution.
• Pakistan is an Islamic republic. Islam is the state religion,
and the Constitution requires that laws be consistent with
5. Hierarchy Of Courts in
Supreme Court Of Pakistan.
Federal Shariat court of Pakistan
District and session court
Special Tribunals and Boards
17. Subordinate Judiciary
• CIVIL COURT:
They are present all the district of a province. It deals
civil material only. The civil courts consist of District
Judge, Additional District Judge and Civil Judge Class I,
II & III.
• CRIMINAL COURT:
This court is located in the district of each province. This
court has power to change criminal to death punishment.
, the criminal courts comprise of Session Judge,
Additional Session Judge and Judicial Magistrate Class
I, II & III.
18. Alternative Courts/Legal System
• Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR)
• Biradry System/Panchayat
• Nizam e Adal Law (for Malakand and
19. Alternative Dispute Resolution
• Alternative dispute resolution (ADR)
includes dispute resolution processes and
techniques that act as a means for
disagreeing parties to come to an
agreement short of litigation.
• It includes Arbitration.
• The Nizam-e-Adl Regulation was a
controversial act, passed on April 13,
2009, of Pakistan's central
government that formally
established Sharia law in
the Malakand division.
• The panchayati raj is a South Asian political
system mainly in India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nepal.
It is the oldest system oflocal government in the Indian
• The word "panchayat" literally means "assembly" (ayat)
of five (panch) wise and respected elders chosen and
accepted by the local community
• MEANING OF JIRGA
• This can be found throughout Pakistan. Essentially, there are different
appellations to this system but the ethics and the rulings are the same.
• The reason the jigra system continues to survive is predominantly due to
the strong feudal system present in Pakistan.
• There were attempts to abolish this system but no political party has been
able to break its strength since the main ruling class continues to be feudal.
• In many areas, politicians are supporters of such a system.
23. Special Tribunals and Boards:
There are numerous special tribunals such
•Income Tax Tribunals
24. • Anti-terrorist Courts
• Labor Relations Courts
• Board of Revenue
• Special Magistrate courts
• Consumer Courts
• Drug courts
• Juvenile courts