2. 4/14/2012 OPERA BY YOU –THE WORLD’S FIRST OPERA CREATED BY AN INTERNET COMMUNITY • The Savonlinna Opera Festival launched in May 2010 a project where anyone can join the Opera by You web community and contribute to the creation of an opera • Any member of the web community can help to write the libretto, compose the music, design the sets, costumes and participate in stage direction design and even to marketing planning • The Savonlinna Opera Festival will in turn be placing soloists, a chorus of 80, a symphony orchestra and its entire production machinery at the community’s disposal • The community opera will be premiered at the Savonlinna Opera Festival in July 2012
3. 4/14/2012 THE COMMUNITY PLATFORMS• Community works on two internet platforms • Open forum: http://www.operabyyou.com • Authenticated forum (IPR): http://www.wreckamovie.com/operabyyou • 419 community members• Accessibility • Anyone around the world can participate, common language: English • Without registration or authentication required (IPR)• Also present in the social media • Facebook ~ 600 followers • Twitter ~ 335 followers • YouTube ~ 7000 viewers • Make your own opera viral ~ 25 000 participants • Present in other crowdsourcing platforms, e.g. http://www.ideasproject.com/community/en/operabyyou
4. 4/14/2012 THE COMMUNITY CREATIVE PROCESS• Supervised by the Operatives Group – a group of opera professionals • Running the creative process in the community • Giving creation tasks to the community, commenting and guiding the creative process • Making the final decisions if needed in the community• The operatives are • Markus Fagerudd – composer • Iida Hämeen-Anttila – libretist • Jeremias Erkkilä – stage director • Jukka Pohjolainen – production director • Samuli Laine – visual designer • Essi Palo – costume designer • Päivi Salmi – project manager
5. 4/14/2012 MILESTONES OF THE PRODUCTION 2010 2011 2012 - May 2010 - January 2011 - March 2012 - Launch - Costume design begins - Composing ready - Creation of story - May 2011 - Spring 2012 - July 2010 - Set design ready - Soloists - Story selected - Rehearsals - Creation of script - June 2011 - Marketing begins - Script and libretto ready - June 2012 - September 2010 - Stage direction ready - Composing begins - December 2011 - Staging and rehearsals on - Set design begins - Costume design ready site in Savonlinna - Online reporting from the rehearsals andBy community interactive stagingBy Savonlinna Opera Festival direction - July 21 The Premiere at The Savonlinna Opera Festival
6. SOME ADD ON’S• Crowdsourcing seminar in Savonlinna Opera Festival in summer 2012• Opera performance online streaming and video sharing on sponsor websiteand on operabyyou.com• Make your own opera –competition for sponsor companies• Opera by You interactive and educational online game• Merchandise products around the project and the opera
7. ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR
8. 4/14/2012 ACHIEVEMENTS SO FAR• Requests for seminars• Requests for interviews• Requests for scientific research oncrowdsourcing, online communications etc.
9. 4/14/2012 A PEAK INTO THE FREE WILL OPERAFREE WILL synopsis in shortGod has had enough of all the miserythat people are suffering from andcalls a meeting with the angels. Theydecide to send a couple of deadgenius back to Earth to make thingsbetter. The geniouses are supposedto make a huge difference in scienceand art and create world peace.The three geniouses are Joan of Arc,Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart andOscar Wilde. Their enemy is Lucifer.Morewww.operabyyou.comhttp://www.wreckamovie.com/operabyyou