Can help reach a different demographic – one that doesn’t respond to traditional advertising (no newspapers – can get news on your phone)SEO = getting found onlineViral = now people will tell friends in a more public way
120 sharesPage likes increase 32.5% in two weeks
Facebook 101: Using Facebook To Promote Your Business
Photo: Charlottes Photo Gallery on Flickr
Using Facebook to
Promote Your Business
Red River Valley Tourism Association
August 7, 2013
Get these slides here:
Social media review
Live Demos & Set Up
Benefits of Social Media
• It’s FREE!
• Builds deeper relationships
• Increases brand awareness
• Broadens your network
• Helps SEO
• Increases website traffic
• Generates leads and sales
• Can help reach journalists/media
• Empowers fans to be viral ambassadors for
Source: Social Media for Tourism Pros
Is Social Media Right for You?
• Is social media …
• Providing value to your organization and your
• Bringing benefit via brand awareness,
membership, loyalty, sales, etc.?
• Helping to grow membership base?
• Justifying the investment?
• Find your audience
• Know what’s being said
• Extend a virtual hand
• Get your community to be virtual ambassadors
• Have fun, in a professional manner of speaking
What Is Facebook?
• Social networking service that allows users to
connect to friends and businesses
• Share content, links, photos, and videos
• Comment on others’ activity
• Remember: Personal profiles are for people,
not businesses. Develop a fan page instead.
• Over 1.1 billion active users
• Average user is connected to 40 pages
• Smartphone mobile users check Facebook an
average of 13.8 times a day
• 751 million users access Facebook from a mobile
• Average number of connections between local
business pages and users is 2 billion
• Average number of weekly local business page
views is 645 million
• Average number of weekly comments on local
business pages is 13 million
Source: IDC; expandedramblings.com
Facebook Benefits to Biz
• Low cost
• Engage with fans of your business page
• Fans receive your updates and can upload
comments, photos, and video
• When fans engage you on your page, their
activity shows up in the News Feeds of their
– This can prompt others to check out your page and
Facebook Benefits to Biz
• Can incorporate content from other social media
– Ex: blog posts, updates from Twitter, photos from
Instagram, videos from YouTube, location-based apps
• Targeted advertising opportunities (cheap too!)
Contact Info /
Can I Help?
Photo: .Spartography on Flickr
Sarah Page, Principal
Sarah T. Page Consulting, LLC
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.