Facts about New Millenium Learners
• Almost everybody has access to PCs and the
• Early birds. Usage increases with age.
• Social media plays an important role. 7 of 10
use social media regularly.
• Social media: Socialisation, identity formation
• Harassment an important challenge
Technology Impact: What have we
learnt from R&D?
• Search for causality and statistical significance
• Output, outcome and impact (Impact 2, 2002)
• Impact 2: ICT leads to statistically significant
improvements of educational attainment in
• OECD: Interesting correlations regarding use
of ICT and PISA scores
• eLearning Nordic 2006: All stakeholder groups
state that ICT has a positive impact on pupils’
• R&D on patterns of use and across the
spectrum of learning technologies
• Perceived impact ------- Causality and
• Overall there is a strong body of evidence linking
the use of technology to improvements in
learning and outcomes for learners. The
relationship is not a simple one. Time taken to
embed the use of technology, school-level
planning and learner competency and focus of
use, and link to models of learning are all
important in mediating the impact of technology
– Source: Becta, Evidence on the impact of technology on
learning and educational outcomes, 2009
21st Century Skills Assessement Project:
Goals of the project
Build a collaboration to leverage ongoing work.
Identify and address issues in four areas:
– Connection of assessments to 21st century classroom practices
and environments to increase scalability.
– Definition of 21st Century skills and competencies in
– Methodological issues that address rigor and validity.
– Technological barriers related to networking, security, scale,
Indicators of success
– Acceptance, recognition, and participation by stakeholders
– Problems identified, solutions developed, and widely available.
– ICT-based assessment of 21st c skills incorporated into national
and international assessments.
Cognitive skills Social values and
•Non verbal intelligence
•Socialisation in the third space
•Lack of evidence in other areas
•Importance of videogames as
•No conclusive evidence
•Lack of appropriate methodologies:
•Large longitudinal studies
•Large-scale experiments 9
Not all learners share the same
relationship to digital media
NMLs: A challenge for
• Professor Henry Jenkins, USC
• Tony Richardson, Becta
• Education under pressure
– Formal vs informal learning
– Education as social equalizer
• Revised models: Greather emphasis on
incremental, coherent and iterative
• Benchmarks and indicators
• Learner Voices
Hierarchy of benchmarks?
• First order benchmarks: Access
• Second order benchmarks:
– Patterns of use
– Amount of use
• Third order benchmarks: Effects,
• Source: Johannessen, 2009
21st Century Skills – embedded or not?
Assessment Competences among
Teachers and principals
• Planned (not yet decided) activity in
• Analytical strand: Research review
• Empirical strand:
– Video library
• Policy strand: Implications
Because they deserve it