Robert Shullich is a member of the professional staff of SystemExperts Corporation and is a Graduate student in the Forensics Computing program at John Jay College of Criminal Justice (CUNY). He holds a BS and MS in Computer Science from the College of Staten Island (CUNY), MBA from Baruch College (CUNY), and a MS in Telecommunications Networking from NYU/Polytechnic University. He serves on the SANS Advisory Board. With over 40 years in IT including disciplines of Mainframe Operations, Systems Programming, Program Application Development, LAN Administration, Networking, IT Risk Management, Security Architecture and Information Security, he holds many professional computer certifications including: CPP, CISSP, CISSP-ISSMP, CISSP-ISSAP, SSCP, CISA, CISM, CGEIT, CRISC, CEH, CHFI, ECSA, Security+, CASP, CIPP/US, GSEC, GCIH, GCFW, GREM, and GCFA.
These technologies provide new attack vectors to attack the user, the organization, and data. Figure out where you are going. The landscape is very complex and confusing – it is on the innovative edge, and not enough guidance as Social Media is a work in progress.
No patch for the Human The Human becomes the weakest link Social Media becomes a large threat to security, SM ad Mobile are becoming the platform of choice for attacks.
If someone develops personal habits and exhibits certain behavior, will those habits and behavior carry over to the workplace? The boundaries between personal and work life also become blurred as companies make use of social media (originally designed for personal use) for business purposes, and likewise employees access personal sites while at work. A 2011 DLA Piper survey found social media is used for personal and work related activities by 95% of employees.
Duty of Care Social media blurs the boundaries between personal and work life. When personal opinions expressed through social media (either on a personal profile or an online forum) refer to a company, it raises an ethical challenge. It is unclear what control, if any, the company has over comments communicated in this way and what action it can/should take.
Well, I guess not always a dog Can’t even trust that the dog is really a dog!
Also , in some cases technology behind the scenes, such as Web 2.0 software and interfaces.
Pazap.com – A student trading site for buying and selling on-campus books with other students. MyStore.com – A social market place for buyers and sellers. MicroBloggin (Twitter)
Drunken Pirate Woman claims teaching degree denied because of single MySpace photo http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/crime/college-sued-over-drunken-pirate-sanctions
Cisco Fatty Incident What You Post On Twitter Can Cost You The Job: The Cisco Fatty Incident Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute to San Jose and hating the work. http://www.gradversity.com/what-you-post-on-twitter-can-cost-you-the-job/
Facebook Teacher Loses Job After Commenting About Students, Parents on Facebook http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/facebook-firing-teacher-loses-job-commenting-students-parents/story?id=11437248
Why are this guy’s tweets interesting? Interesting neighbor, 1 AM in the morning a big racket going on at his neighbor’s house (compound).
Helicopter hovering above Abbottabad at 1AM (is a rare event). 1 May 2011 12:58pm Go away helicopter - before I take out my giant swatter :-/ 1 May 2011 1:05 pm A huge window shaking bang here in Abbottabad Cantt. I hope its not the start of something nasty :-S 1 May 2011 1:09pm @m0hcin all silent after the blast, but a friend heard it 6 km away too... the helicopter is gone too. 1 May 2011 1:44pm
Loose lips sink ships
http://www.allfacebook.com/police-bikini-facebook-2010-09 Cop Undone By Photos Of Bikini Girls On Facebook A word to the wise: If you are a cop, it’s probably not a good idea to allow photos of bikini-clad women draped over your official police vehicle to wind up on Facebook.One police officer in Moncks Corner, South Carolina did that and is now out of a job, according to The State newspaper. The photos were taken at a car wash last Sunday at Rockstar Tattoo Studio on Redbank Road. It’s understood the bikini-clad dancers were from Diamonds North night club in North Charleston
Falsely Tagged Facebook Photo Gets Palestinian Jail Time And Trial http://www.allfacebook.com/falsely-tagged-facebook-photo-gets-palestinian-jail-time-and-trial-2011-01 Imagine someone else tagging you in a Facebook photo you don’t even appear in and then getting arrested because of it. That’s what journalist Mamdouh Hamamreh is going through. He was falsely labeled in an image mocking Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas by superimposing his likeness into a picture of a well-known Syrian soap opera villain.
Facebook Tagging Facebook tagging, even in the case where it is a true picture can get you into trouble. Someone may have taken a photo that includes you in the picture, and maybe you are doing something you should not be. What happens if they TAG you? You are linked to the picture, you are identified in the picture. Now, what happens if the tagging becomes automatic, i.e. through Facial Recognition – Tagging on autopilot.
If the Health Department rated a restaurant as a B or even a C, would you still consider eating there? And if you did, would you at least be concerned? Sometimes negative press is to shame someone or a company.
Data loss can include sending of confidential information, leaking trade secrets Piracy – sharing of music, videos, images, ebooks, file lockers Corporate Espionage - stealing information, stealing trade secrets Recon – Getting intelligence to launch an attack Financials – getting insider information for stock manipulation, getting info on M&A, information on contract bidding, client lists, pricing lists, etc
Blog owner controls own blog Can also control and edit any posted comments (moderate) on blog and delete anything they don’t like or agree with.
Using Social Media for background checks require the same notice as if you pulled a credit report.
Supposed it was your bat cave?
Rule 17a-3 -- Records to Be Made by Certain Exchange Members, Brokers and Dealers http://taft.law.uc.edu/CCL/34ActRls/rule17a-3.html Rule 17a-4 -- Records to Be Preserved by Certain Exchange Members, Brokers and Dealers http://taft.law.uc.edu/CCL/34ActRls/rule17a-4.html FINRA Issues Guidance to Firms, Brokers on Communications with Public Through Social Networking Web Sites http://www.finra.org/Newsroom/NewsReleases/2010/P120780 FINRA Provides Guidance Regarding the Review and Supervision of Electronic Communications http://www.finra.org/Industry/Regulation/Notices/2007/P037554
Discrimination – mentioned before, including background checks Unfair competition –hacking your competitor, espionage, posting untrue information about your competitor
The difficulty in Blocking Social Media BYOD aggravates the situation But what about assets not company owned and managed – used outside of the office – outside of the network and outside the physical perimeter?
A notice on the NVIDIA Developer Zone website has reminded users of the importance of ensuring that you do not use the same passwords on multiple websites. Can you trust these social media sites to keep your data safe if they can’t protect their own site.
Productivity works both ways. Social Media can improve productivity, think of collaboration, through e-mail and chat. But a lot of game playing may be unproductive.
All of this, plus social media must be monitored. Resource usage may involve machine cycles, internet bandwidth, and when used on mobile, extra cell phone usage charges.
Risk Assessment of Social Media Use v3.01
Risk Assessment of Social Media Use
Robert Shullich, CPP, CISSP
• Who Am I
• Rules of Engagement
• Social Media
• Case Studies
Who Am I
• About a year in current job
• 8 years in Corporate Security
• 16 years at the Stock Exchanges (NYSE/AMEX)
• 8 years at a software company
• 3+ years in CUNY
• IT security for more than 20 years
• In IT for 40 years
• I am not a lawyer, any information presented
here is not meant to be legal advice. If you
need legal advice, please seek counsel with a
qualified and licensed professional who
practices law in the subject matter and
jurisdiction that applies.
• Opinions expressed here are my own, and are
not meant to be opinions of ASIS, ISC2, or
anyone I work for.
Rules of Engagement
• Pure Risk, Not Opportunist
• Chicken Little – The Sky is Falling
• Objective is to Protect
• No Recommendation on Block v. Allow
• Legal and Regulatory compliance is focused on
• This is NOT legal advice
• Suggestions, but Not Solutions
• Social Media
• Consumerization of IT (BYOD, BYOT, BYOB)
– Bring Your Own
• Devices, Technology
• Disaster, Toys, Botnet
• Cloud Computing
• Two different concepts
• Both have the adjective “Social”
• Social Media can be used as platform for
• Social means “Human”
• Largest threat “Human”
• No Brain Patches
It has long been accepted that online
behavior differs from the behavior
people would exhibit in the real
world due, largely, to the anonymity
Digital Gen Z
“With all of the social media outlets out there-
from Facebook and Myspace to Twitter to
Instagram to cell phone texting-kids today are
communicating and challenging each other in
a completely new way, doing and saying things
they wouldn't if they were talking face-to-
Rise of Social Networks
Share of Time
Share of Time
% Change in
Share of Time
1 Social Networks 22.7% 15.8% 43%
2 Online Games 10.2% 9.3% 10%
3 E-mail 8.3% 11.5% -28%
4 Portals 4.4% 5.5% -19%
5 Instant Messaging 4.0% 4.7% -15%
6 Videos/Movies** 3.9% 3.5% 12%
7 Search 3.5% 3.4% 1%
Social Media Uses
• Media – Sharing of Photos, Videos
– Flickr, YouTube
• Networking – Staying Connected
– Linkedin, Facebook, Friendster
– Blogging, Wikis, MicroBlogging
– eBay, Pazap.com, MyStore.com
– Google Apps
To Ban or Not to Ban
• Decision should be based on:
– Risk and Risk Appetite
– Business Need
– Business Culture
– Business Regulatory Requirements
– Other business factors
In the end - It is a business decision
Who is at Risk?
• Each Individual
– Shoot yourself in the foot
– Employee puts organization at risk
• Third-Party Observers
– Put target at risk
• Write Blog entry about themselves
– Teacher Loses Job After Commenting About Students,
Parents on Facebook
• Post Picture about themselves
– Drunken Pirate – Student can’t get Teaching License
• Tweet about themselves
– Cisco just offered me a job! Now I have to weigh the
utility of a fatty paycheck against the daily commute
to San Jose and hating the work
• Tweet Gives up Location
– IT Consultant tweet’s Osama Bin Laden Raid
– Company’s Configuration exposed
– Spam attacks with malicious code to linkedin
communities (Spear Phishing)
– Know who is looking for job, ready to jump ship
• Drive by paparazzi
– Cop Undone By Photos Of Bikini Girls On Facebook
– Falsely Tagged Facebook Photo Gets Palestinian
Jail Time And Trial
• Rodney King
• Occupy Movements
• Facial Recognition
Recording & Archiving
• Various regulations require archiving and
retention of communications
• This has included e-mail and instant
• Social Media is all about communications
• Example: Facebook has a chat feature and e-
mail offering – How do you capture those
• A lot of Information on a lot of sites
• Easily Collected through search engines
– Due Diligence v. Discrimination
– Information not vetted – may not be accurate
– Martin Gaskell – University of Kentucky
• $125K out of court settlement
• NLRB stepping in and saying FCRA Notice is
required if Social Media used in hiring decision
Geotagging (also written as GeoTagging) is the
process of adding geographical identification
metadata to various media such as photographs,
videos, websites, SMS messages, or RSS feeds and
is a form of geospatial metadata
• Photo taken inside factory (or outside) with GPS
coordinates, uploaded to social networking
where metadata might not be stripped
• Anyone downloading the photo, and gets
metadata has location also
• Can find out where your secret factory is located
• Photo might be taken by someone you don’t have
• Each day device collects and stores data of
where the device was located
• GPS devices used in cars can track at intervals
where the device has been. Used in GPS
forensics to get Travel history
• All of a sudden people were surprised that
Apple and Google did the tracking in phones
• Lets you share where you are
• And you can find out where friends are as well
• Are you at risk because someone knows where
• Are you at risk because you are not where you
are supposed to be?
• If they know where you are, then they know
where you aren’t – like your house is empty!
• Facebook Timeline – where have you been?
• Is a badge on Foursquare worth your life?
• Payment Card Industry (PCI)
• The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act
(HIPAA) of 1996
• Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Rule 17-a
• Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) Notice
10-06 and Notice 07-59
• Sarbanes-Oxley Act
• The Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC)
• The Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act (GLBA)
• 21 CFR Part 11 (FDA)
• Nurses Fired Over Cell Phone Photos Of Patient
• Shark Attack Victim Photos Put Hospital
Employees in Hot Water
• Photos taken in ER room of dying man
• Patient-Doctor Facebook “Friends” Could Be A
Get out of Jail Free Card
• Applies to Social Media Sites, ISP’s and Cloud Computing
• Copyright Infringement – Digital Millennium Copyright Act
– Block or remove (Take-downs)
• Third Party Posted Content – Communications Decency Act
– Not responsible for content posted by third party
Block Social Media?
• How do you block at the office?
– BYOD (Bring your own device – Consumerization
• Cell Phone with Internet
• Tablet with Internet
• How do you block outside of the office?
– Can control company issued assets
– Can’t control personal non-company assets
– Can’t control outsiders
• Viruses and Malware
• Account Hijacking (Evil Twin)
• Shortened URLs
• Password Breaches of SM Sites
• Search Engine Poisoning
• Technology Moves Fast, Crime too Widespread
• Blended Attacks
• URL posted in tweets and also used in other
social networking sites are shortened
• Example: Tinyurl.com, Bit.ly, Cli.gs, Zi.ma
• Some provide tracking services as well
• Shortened URL’s can direct anywhere:
– Porn Sites
– Malware Sites
– Spam Sites
– Phishing sites
FB SPAM - Virus
• OMG! Its unbeliveable now you can get to
know who views your facebook profile.. i can
see my top profile visitors and i am so
shocked that my EX is still creeping my profile
every hour. click below
• 21 hours ago via Reviews ·LikeUnlike · · See
Friendship · CLICK 2 SEE YOUR STALKERS
What is the Solution?
• Assume it can’t be blocked effectively
• The damage may be caused by someone NOT
in the company – a third party outsider
• For the employees, contractors, and
temporary workers – a Social Media Policy,
and Security Awareness Training
• For anyone else – monitoring and surveillance
• Moderation of Publication for SM Posts
Data Loss Prevention
• Data Loss (Leak) Prevention can be used to
detect data leaving the site
• Most Web 2.0 data is unstructured
• May provide some protection for company
issued assets, but does not provide protection
for employee owned assets not under the
What is Needed
• May require software
• May require a service
• Requires Policy!
• Requires Awareness Training!