Students will create a KWL chart to list what they know, want to know and finally what they learned about Multiple Intelligences.
Purpose of learning center. Students will be directed to click on the highlighted links for further information. Home page is always accessible.
These three activities will give students a good overview of Howard Gardner’s theory of Multiple Intelligence. http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-howard-gardner-video Students will view an actual interview featuring Gardner. They will then make a recording of their own interpretation of what Multiple Intelligences are. Video segment from Edutopia about Multiple Intelligences and No Child Left Behind and the Key Learning Community in Indianapolis http://www.edutopia.org/multiple-intelligences-key-learning-community-video original video http://www.edutopia.org/key-learning-community The last clip is about differentiated instruction. The 4 th grade teacher does a great job with multiple intelligences in her classroom. Students are asked to observe the video and write about their observations.
An audio podcast about multiple intelligence and EQ – emotional intelligence.
This activity takes the students to a quiz that will evaluate their own learning styles. When finished they will print their learning styles preferences and evaluate their own preferences. Students will discuss in class their favorite lesson ever in school. Knowing what they know now, why do they remember it? How big an influence are learning preferences to student engagement?
Students can refer to the visual chart with images to represent the multiple intelligences. Students can visit the Discovery Education website and search to locate a suitable activity for their learning preference.
Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills can be found at the Texas Education Agency website. Crosswalks and new curriculum standards have been put in place for the 2010-11 school year for Career and Technical Education. www.tea.state.tx.us
Citations used for research.
1. Learning about Learning Styles EDIM 508 Digital Media in the Classroom Mary Susan Stevens Audio Video Discover Discovery Who Am I? Quiz
2. Who is this man? <ul><li>Click here for the answer. </li></ul>
3. The man on the previous slide is Howard Gardner. Dr. Gardner is best known for his theory of Multiple Intelligence. Create a KWL chart about what you K now about Multiple Intelligence, What you W ant to learn and at the end of this learning center, write down your thoughts about what you L earned about Multiple Intelligences.
4. <ul><li>Click here to view the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills for this assignment. </li></ul><ul><li>The purpose of this learning center is for Education and Training students to be introduced to the concept of learning styles. By using this tool students can get a feel for their own learning styles and preferences. </li></ul><ul><li>After completing this unit students should understand the following basic concepts about Learning Styles: </li></ul><ul><li>Howard Gardner’s Multiple Intelligences Theories </li></ul><ul><li>Differentiation in the classroom </li></ul><ul><li>Learning Preferences </li></ul><ul><li>Click here to view information about Learning Styles </li></ul>
6. Click the speaker icon to listen to an audio clip about Multiple Intelligences and Emotional Intelligence. After you finish listening to the podcast, write three paragraphs reflecting on Multiple intelligences and Emotional Intelligence what do you think is more important, IQ or EQ and why?
7. What’s your learning style? <ul><li>Click here to take a quiz on Learning Styles. </li></ul><ul><li>When you finish the quiz, print your results. What are your two strongest learning preferences? </li></ul><ul><li>Describe your favorite lesson ever at school. Why do you think you remember it? Class discussion. </li></ul>
8. http://school.discoveryeducation.com/ Study the visual image on the left. Which images best represent your multiple intelligence preferences? Select your main learning preferences then search the website (linked below) for a suitable activity for your learning preferences. This should be something that would be appropriate for your site school grade level classroom and an activity you could teach your students. Scroll over the link to the Discovery Education website. Citations