Learn how you too can become an expert Google searcher and extract invaluable data about your competitors and about the market like never before -- with laser-like accuracy and extreme efficiency.
Learn how you too can become an expert Google searcher and extract invaluable data about your competitors and about the market like never before -- with laser-like accuracy and extreme efficiency. Presented by: Stephan Spencer
1. Become an Expert Google Searcher in an Hour Stephan Spencer Co-Author of The Art of SEO; Author of Google Power Search; Founder of Netconcepts
2. Who Am I?• Author of Google Power Search & Co-author of The Art of SEO• Founder of SEO agency Netconcepts• Sold Netconcepts to Covario in 2010• Lived in New Zealand for 8 yrs, returned to US in 2007• Invented GravityStream, a pay-for-performance SEO technology (now Covario’s Organic Search Optimizer)• Now a free agent, developing an SEO coaching program which will launch soonish
3. Googling for Answers• But sometimes the answers are elusive – Knowledge workers spend 15-30% of their day searching for information. More than half of their searches fail. (Source: IDC)• Garbage In, Garbage Out – An unfocused search yields irrelevant search results• The Key? Learn how to search smarter!
4. Pop Quiz!• You want to find out how many women buy cars in the United States. What’s the best Google query to find out? – what is size of female car buying market – how many women buy cars in the u.s. – market size car buyer female u.s. – market size ~car ~buyer ~female u.s. – buy cars market female OR women
5. 5 Keys to Smarter Searching1. Cutting through the clutter2. Casting a wider net3. Mastering the Google interface4. Employing specialized search services5. Assembling your toolbox
6. 1. Cutting Through the Clutter• Exact phrases: “”• Don’t ask a question• Singular vs. plural• Word order• Boolean logic: -, +, (), OR, |• Search operators• Date based searching (“More search tools”)
7. Search Operatorsfiletype: Restrict results by file type extension (pdf, doc, xls, ppt)site: Search a particular domainintitle: & allintitle: Words must appear in titleinurl: & allinurl: Words must appear in URLdaterange: Pages added/updated within a date range (in Julian format)define: Glossary definition
8. 2. Casting a Wider Net• Synonym operator (~)• Asterisk wildcard operator (*)• OR (|)• Number ranges (..)• related: operator
11. 4. Employ Specialized Search Services• Soople• Google Patent Search• Google Books• Google Scholar• Google Q&A (instant answers) – The Google search box is a phonebook, a calculator, a measurement converter, a dictionary, a package tracker, an airline timetable, a street map atlas, and a stock ticker
12. 5. Assembling Your Toolbox• Download & install the Google Toolbar• Subscribe to Google Alerts• Set your Start Page• Buy a reference book on Google• Create a Google cheat sheet• Take the GoogleGuide.com tutorial
13. In Summary1. Cut through the clutter2. Cast a wider net3. Master the Google interface4. Employ specialized search services5. Assemble your toolbox
14. Q&A• What can you do tomorrow that will improve your searching prowess? Write down 3 things. Get ‘em done!• To contact me: firstname.lastname@example.org• To get a copy of this slide deck, email email@example.com
15. Special Offer Visit http://oreilly.com to purchase your copy of The Art of SEO and enter code 4CAST to save 40% off print book & 50% off ebook with special code 4CASTVisit http://oreilly.com/webcasts to view upcoming webcasts and online events