big data
people, technologies, business and hong kong
scott brady drummonds
scott@infoincog.com
technologies

definitions

timing and
hype

business
hong kong

asia
the common definition

volume
velocity
variety
veracity
the subjective definition
the easy definition
the business challenge:
how to turn data into value?
components: creating value from data
servers

traditional
dbms

visualization

storage

columnar dbs

network
s

hardware
...
hot components
servers

traditional
dmbs

visualization

storage

columnar db

network
s

hardware

software

nosql

platf...
applications
a few examples
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html
the structure of success
business
commitment
data-driven decision
making

technologists (data scientists)

technologies

d...
visibility/expectations

adapted from gartner hype cycle

time
trigger

inflated
disillusionment
productivity
expectations...
example: moving to hong kong

adapted from gartner hype cycle

convenient, good
business atmosphere,
good people

visibili...
what was the trigger?
•
•
•
•

unbounded compute
cheap storage
data accessibility and world datafication
internet scale: y...
big data: where are we
today?

adapted from gartner hype cycle

visibility/expectations

this will be caused by
a lack of ...
asia
enterprise it adoption
global
usa
business interest

asia
hong kong

time
http://www.infoincog.com/big-data-in-asia-pacifi...
how does your business start?
management
commitment
data-driven decision
making

technologists (data scientists)

meeting ...
what data?
want more?
google+: hong kong big data
http://www.infoincog.com/
scott@infoincog.com

all content by scott brady drummonds...
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1
Upcoming SlideShare
Loading in …5
×

Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1

506 views
405 views

Published on

This talk is slightly modified from previous talks I offered that were teasers or aimed for students. In this talk I again provide an overview of big data terms, technologies, and the heroes and villains. But half this talk covered Asia and Hong Kong big data opportunities.

For more information please go to http://infoincog.com.

1 Comment
0 Likes
Statistics
Notes
  • I just uploaded a recording of this talk to Vimeo. If you are interested in the content please go to https://vimeo.com/83573419.
       Reply 
    Are you sure you want to  Yes  No
    Your message goes here
  • Be the first to like this

No Downloads
Views
Total views
506
On SlideShare
0
From Embeds
0
Number of Embeds
75
Actions
Shares
0
Downloads
3
Comments
1
Likes
0
Embeds 0
No embeds

No notes for slide
  • 2009: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v457/n7232/full/nature07634.htmlCDC, 60 years old, dept. of health and human services
  • Gartner, 2001, three v’s. veracity added by others later.
  • “too big from which to derive value”
  • 76% of analysts use MS Excel: http://www.billingviews.com/microsoft-excel-king-analytics-hill/
  • http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/communications/internet-minute-infographic.html
  • Retail:CRM – Customer Scoring,Store Siting and Layout,Fraud Detection / Prevention,Supply Chain OptimizationFinancial Services:Algorithmic Trading,Risk Analysis,Fraud Detection,Portfolio AnalysisManufacturing:Product Research,Engineering Analytics,Process & Quality Analysis,Distribution Optimization (GE and Wikibon think manufacturing/industrial growing 2x faster than any other segment: http://online.wsj.com/article/PR-CO-20130618-908554.html)Government:Market Governance,Counter-Terrorism,Econometrics,Health InformaticsEnergy:Smart Grid,ExplorationHealthcare & Life Sciences:Pharmaco-Genomics,Bio-Informatics,Pharmaceutical Research,Clinical Outcomes ResearchAdvertising & Public Relations:Demand Signaling,Ad Targeting,Sentiment Analysis,Customer AcquisitionMedia & Telecommunications:Network Optimization,Customer Scoring,Churn Prevention,Fraud Prevention
  • http://blog.kissmetrics.com/how-netflix-uses-analytics/“When a network green lights a show, there’s a 35% chance it succeeds and a 65% chance it gets cancelled. At the time of this writing, Netflix has 7 TV shows, of which 5 have been renewed for another season. If this rate can continue for years, the Netflix success rate will be about 70%.”
  • http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&hp
  • Doug Cutting and Mike Cafarella in 2005
  • US leads the globe by about six months.Asia trails the US by about 18 monthsHong Kong trails Asia by about six months
  • http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/psi/datasets/questions:what is the relationship between traffic and air pollution? (data joining)how does property value lead/trail changes in population (historical analysis)what are the trends for weather-related closures (trending)
  • http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/psi/datasets/questions:what is the relationship between traffic and air pollution? (data joining)how does property value lead/trail changes in population (historical analysis)what are the trends for weather-related closures (trending)
  • 博文约礼
  • http://www.gov.hk/en/theme/psi/datasets/questions:what is the relationship between traffic and air pollution? (data joining)how does property value lead/trail changes in population (historical analysis)what are the trends for weather-related closures (trending)
  • $6.3B in 2012, $48.3B by 2018, CAGR 40.5% (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2013/7/prweb10905352.htm)
  • Big Data at Canadian Chamber of Commerce: Part 1

    1. 1. big data people, technologies, business and hong kong scott brady drummonds scott@infoincog.com
    2. 2. technologies definitions timing and hype business hong kong asia
    3. 3. the common definition volume velocity variety veracity
    4. 4. the subjective definition
    5. 5. the easy definition
    6. 6. the business challenge: how to turn data into value?
    7. 7. components: creating value from data servers traditional dbms visualization storage columnar dbs network s hardware software nosql platforms hadoop appliances people traditional IT platform architects comp. scientists data scientists
    8. 8. hot components servers traditional dmbs visualization storage columnar db network s hardware software nosql platforms hadoop appliances people traditional IT platform architects comp. scientists data scientists
    9. 9. applications
    10. 10. a few examples
    11. 11. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/19/magazine/shopping-habits.html
    12. 12. the structure of success business commitment data-driven decision making technologists (data scientists) technologies data
    13. 13. visibility/expectations adapted from gartner hype cycle time trigger inflated disillusionment productivity expectations enlightenment
    14. 14. example: moving to hong kong adapted from gartner hype cycle convenient, good business atmosphere, good people visibility/expectations limitless pubs! better network, good schedule new job in hong kong trigger nobody knows how to walk on sidewalks! time inflated disillusionment productivity expectations enlightenment
    15. 15. what was the trigger? • • • • unbounded compute cheap storage data accessibility and world datafication internet scale: yahoo! and google – offspring of hadoop
    16. 16. big data: where are we today? adapted from gartner hype cycle visibility/expectations this will be caused by a lack of data science time trigger inflated disillusionment productivity expectations enlightenment
    17. 17. asia
    18. 18. enterprise it adoption global usa business interest asia hong kong time http://www.infoincog.com/big-data-in-asia-pacific/
    19. 19. how does your business start? management commitment data-driven decision making technologists (data scientists) meeting with other companies’ leadership will firm up commitment a presentation to management may help them believe can hire or contract here in HK technologies plenty of big vendors to choose from data you probably already have data for analytics
    20. 20. what data?
    21. 21. want more? google+: hong kong big data http://www.infoincog.com/ scott@infoincog.com all content by scott brady drummonds – scott@infoincog.com

    ×