1. COUNTING THE PARTICLESL.I.•To describe the nucleus•To use nuclear equations to work outwhat happens during radioactive decay.Keywords:•Isotopes•Protons and neutrons•α and β particles
2. Revision:The nucleus of an atom is described bymass number and atomic/proton number.The number of particles in the C C 14 12nucleus (protons + neutrons) 6 6This is the number of protonsTo do:Count the number of particles inside the nuclei of these carbon isotopes.Carbon-14 isotopeNumber of protons = _________Number of neutrons = _________Carbon-12 isotopeNumber of protons = _________Number of neutrons = _________
3. How does alpha decay change the nucleus?To do: Write a nuclear equation for this decay.
4. During a beta decay, A neutron in the nucleus decays to a proton and an electron (β particle).How does beta decay change the nucleus?
5. How does beta decay change the nucleus?To do: Write a nuclear equation for this decay.