Dave Jr. and his 10thGrade small groupleader, Cliff.
Our job as youth workers is to build the bridge from a GREAT EXPERIENCE to a GREAT RELATIONSHIP within biblical community.
Matt 28:18 Jesus came and told hisdisciples, "I have been given all authority in heaven and on earth…
Matt 28:19 ”Therefore, go and makedisciples …20 Teach these NEW disciples to obey all the commands I have given you…”
“There’s no biblical reason for youthministry except for adults loving and discipling those that are younger.” -Doug Fields(Your First Two Years in Youth Ministry –Zondervan/Youth Specialties)
“Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ.” 1 Corinthians 1:11
1. A discipler can SEE in a student something a student CAN’T yet see in themselves. (Jeremiah 29:11)
2. A discipler EARNS the right to beHEARD through the power ofRELATIONSHIP. (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)
3. A discipler MODELS the life of someone who is an authentic follower of Jesus. (Titus 2:1,6)
Titus 2:1 “Titus, promote the kind of living that reflects wholesometeaching… 6 And you yourself must be an EXAMPLE to them by doing good works of every kind. Let EVERYTHING you do reflect the integrity and seriousness of your teaching.”
4. A discipler teaches a student how to LEAD and FEED THEMSELVES. (1 Peter 2:2)
5. A discipler is a GOOD LISTENER and creates room for CONVERSATION and QUESTIONS…even DUMB ones!
6. A discipler is COMMITTED for the long haul. (Matthew 28:20 “… And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age."
“Discipleship can be inconvenient, messy, and discouraging; but it’s also one of the most rewarding andimportant investments we’ll make this side of heaven.”
7. A discipler EMPOWERS his/her disciples to “GO” (Matthew 10:16, Matthew 28:16-20)
Our job as Youth Workers?To make disciples who can make disciples.