1. VMware compute driver for Openstack Anantha Padmanabhan CB HP
2. Existing support• Initial support for VMware was coded by Citrix• With later versions of openstack, compute driver for the module vmwareapi was not functional• VMware has fixed / enhanced the compute driver to support instance provisioning to a host• Follows one compute per ESXi host model• Compute can be local or remote to the scheduler• Vmware’s blueprint
3. Demo setup Scheduler Keystone Cloud Controller DB Compute rabbitmq-server Compute Compute Network Network KVM VI SDK ESXi
4. Changes to nova.confIn addition to the above configuration, place the .wsdl files in the webapps folder of tomcat6 andrestart the tomcat server.
5. Linked cloneNova configuration flag for VMware Linked Clone support• --use_linked_clone=[true|false]• Default value is true• Creates a folder vmware_base in the datastore and caches the image• Creates a differential disk under the VM folder in the datastore
6. Functionality testedFeatures KVM-Canonical ESXi-Host (5.0) (Ubuntu 12.04)VM Provisioning/Lifecycle Create Server(boot ) Create Server(boot ) Reboot Reboot Delete Server Delete Server Start/Stop Start/Stop pause /Unpause pause /Unpause (Not implemented) Suspend/Resume Suspend/Resume Rebuild/resize/rename Rebuild/resize/rename List/show List/showGlance image-create image-create Image-delete Image-delete image-list image-list Image-show Image-showOther Operations Live migration Boot from Volume Snapshot ( backup in grizzly ) Snapshot ( backup in grizzly ) Legend : Green - Validated Blue – Not attempted RED – Not Working
7. Support for vCenter• VMware is currently working on providing a cluster based support for vCenter• Configure the cluster name in nova.conf with the attribute --vmwareapi_cluster_name=<NAME OF CLUSTER IN VCENTER>• Instances are provisioned in the default resource pool of the configured cluster• Accuracy of statistics needs improvement• Assumes DRS is enabled in vCenter for the cluster• Scheduler looks at statistics of the first host in the cluster• https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vmware-compute-driver
9. SourcesOpenstack grizzly :https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/masterVMwares patch for compute driver for grizzly-1:https://review.openstack.org/#/c/16497/VMware’s compute driver blue print :https://blueprints.launchpad.net/nova/+spec/vmware-compute-driverVMware’s patch for vcenter support :https://review.openstack.org/#/c/19483/