1. GLOBAL IMPACT OF OPENSTACK Tristan Goode, CEO, Aptira Co-founder and organizer of the Australian OpenStack User Group Supporter and Sponsor of the Indian OpenStack User Group OpenStack Board Director
2. AGENDA•• Who is Aptira? Who is Aptira?•• Building an OpenStack community Building an OpenStack community•• The OpenStack Board of Directors The OpenStack Board of Directors•• Global Impact of OpenStack Global Impact of OpenStack•• Q & A Q&A
3. INTRODUCTION TO APTIRA•• Founded in 2009 Founded in 2009•• Based in Sydney, Australia Based in Sydney, Australia•• Managed Services Managed Services•• Managed Hosting Managed Hosting•• Cloud infrastructure Cloud infrastructure•• Infrastructure Consultancy Infrastructure Consultancy•• Aptira India founded May 2011 Aptira India founded May 2011
4. INTRODUCTION TO APTIRA•• Specialise in Complex Infrastructure Specialise in Complex Infrastructure•• High load promotional sites High load promotional sites•• Facebook and Mobile apps Facebook and Mobile apps•• No cookie cutter No cookie cutterWhat do we do on OpenStack now? What do we do on OpenStack now?•• Hosted and on premise private clouds Hosted and on premise private clouds •• Business Intelligence Business Intelligence •• Scalable web applications Scalable web applications •• Media and content delivery Media and content delivery •• DR and Hybrid DR and Hybrid
5. WHY OPENSTACK?•• vSphere issues vSphere issues•• Looking for a differentiating technology Looking for a differentiating technology•• Evaluated various paths Evaluated various paths•• Preferred Open Source Preferred Open Source•• Elastic and dynamically scalable cloud solution Elastic and dynamically scalable cloud solutionOpenStack fitted our needs.OpenStack fitted our needs.
6. BUILDING THE OPENSTACK COMMUNITYWhy start a User Group?Why start a User Group?••Resourcingissues Resourcing issues••Lackof market awareness Lack of market awareness••Lackof vendor support (initially) Lack of vendor support (initially)What do we do with the User Group at Meetups? What do we do with the User Group at Meetups?••Educatenew comers Educate new comers••Findlike minded people Find like minded people••Discussuse cases Discuss use cases••Demo Demo••Socialise! Socialise!
7. THE GROWTH OF THE COMMUNITIESAustralian OpenStack User GroupAustralian OpenStack User Group••Largestper capita User Group in existence Largest per capita User Group in existence••Acrossall major cities Across all major cities••Meetingplace for Business and Academia Meeting place for Business and AcademiaIndian OpenStack User Group Indian OpenStack User Group••Fastestgrowing user group, growth accelerating Fastest growing user group, growth accelerating••Reached500 members yesterday Reached 500 members yesterday••Growingvendor involvement Growing vendor involvementLooking forward to the first AOSUG vs IOSUG cricket match! Looking forward to the first AOSUG vs IOSUG cricket match!
8. USER GROUP PLANS FOR THIS YEAR•• Reaching out to Students via seminars and workshops Reaching out to Students via seminars and workshops•• Assisting other countries get User Groups started Assisting other countries get User Groups started •• Vietnam Vietnam •• South Africa South Africa •• Many more to come Many more to come•• Starting internship programs Starting internship programs•• More demos, interactive sessions and code dojos More demos, interactive sessions and code dojos•• Assisting the burgeoning OpenStack jobs market Assisting the burgeoning OpenStack jobs marketSomeone in this room may be your new boss!!! Someone in this room may be your new boss!!!
9. THE OPENSTACK BOARD OF DIRECTORS•• IIam a Director on the OpenStack Foundation Board am a Director on the OpenStack Foundation Board•• What does that mean? What does that mean?•• How did IIget to be there? How did get to be there?•• Challenges facing the Foundation, what do IIdo? Challenges facing the Foundation, what do do? •• Infancy Infancy •• No precedent (totally open governance) No precedent (totally open governance) •• Balance between community and corporate Balance between community and corporateThe most important part of my being there is to represent allThe most important part of my being there is to represent all of you as best as IIcan. IIam an INDIVIDUAL of you as best as can. am an INDIVIDUAL representative. representative.
10. THE GLOBAL IMPACT OF OPENSTACK•• “Cloud for the rest of the world” “Cloud for the rest of the world”•• The Chinese Government keynote speaker The Chinese Government keynote speaker•• Huge surge in code contribution from outside the US Huge surge in code contribution from outside the US•• Most use cases are outside the US Most use cases are outside the USInnovative and progressive solutions the world over are Innovative and progressive solutions the world over are being developed on OpenStack without proprietary being developed on OpenStack without proprietary constraints. constraints.•• Research and education examples Research and education examples •• CERN CERN •• NeCTAR NeCTAR
11. SO WHAT IS THE IMPACT ON MY BUSINESS?•• Open Source means you can build exactly what you want Open Source means you can build exactly what you want•• Open APIs to avoid vendor lock in Open APIs to avoid vendor lock in•• Build your own PaaS or SaaS solution, ground up Build your own PaaS or SaaS solution, ground up•• Develop IaaS solutions without sovereignty issues Develop IaaS solutions without sovereignty issuesBusiness examples Business examples•• Sina.com Sina.com•• Mercardo Libre Mercardo Libre•• Korea Telecom Korea Telecom•• Aptira (of course) Aptira (of course)
12. TO SUM UP•• Cloud is big, OpenStack is big Cloud is big, OpenStack is big•• Who’s not involved in OpenStack? Who’s not involved in OpenStack?OpenStack IS having a global impact NOW. Get with it!OpenStack IS having a global impact NOW. Get with it!
13. THE ENDQuestions?Questions?More at http://openstack.org More at http://openstack.orgAptira is at http://aptira.com or follow @aptira Aptira is at http://aptira.com or follow @aptiraIIam at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow me @tristangoode am at email@example.com or follow me @tristangoode