Dagli atomi ai bit
Dai bit agli atomi
Atomi e bit: due direzioni
Fab Lab: CBA MIT + Neil Gershenfeld
Fonte: http://cba.mit.edu/ http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neil_Gershenfeld
01. Computer attaccati a macchine
02. Macchine che costruiscono macchine
03. Materiali con un codice inscritto
04. Materiali con un programma inscritto
Anche IDEO ci sta lavorando su
Democratizzazione della Digital Fabrication
FabLab: una comunitá / rete globale
Fab10: il meeting annuale 2014
* A space about bits and atoms
* Part of a network
* A local and global community
* A set of tools
* A set of knowledge
* A set of processes
* A service
* Not a franchising
* A business
* A concept currently under development
Un Fab Lab é ...
Non solo prototipi
Supply chain e sostenibilitá
“We fnd this previously unmeasured type of household sector
innovation to be quite large: 6.2% of UK consumers - 2.9
million individuals - have engaged in consumer product
innovation during the prior 3 years. In aggregate, consumers’
annual product development expenditures are 2.3 times
larger than the annual consumer product R&D expenditures
of all frms in the UK combined. “
Eric A. Von Hippel, Jeroen De Jong, Steven Flowers
Comparing Business and Household Sector Innovation in Consumer
Products: Findings from a Representative Study in the UK
Gli utenti innovano...
Open Source, dalla pratica...
List curata dal CBA
Lista sul wiki del Fablab.is
A FabLab should:
* provide public access to the fablab
* subscribe the fab charter
* share the same set of tools and processes
* partecipate in the global network fo fablabs
Condizioni per essere un FabLab
* What is a fablab? Fab labs are a global network of local labs, enabling invention by providing access for
individuals to tools for digital fabrication.
* What's in a fablab? Fab labs share an evolving inventory of core capabilities to make (almost) anything,
allowing people and projects to be shared
* What does the fab lab network provide? Operational, educational, technical, fnancial, and logistical
assistance beyond what's available within one lab.
* Who can use a fab lab? Fab labs are available as a community resource, ofering open access for individuals
as well as scheduled access for programs.
* What are a fab lab user's responsibilities?
* safety: knowing how to work without hurting people or machines
* operations: assisting with maintaining the lab
* knowledge: contributing to documentation and instruction
* Who owns fab lab inventions? Designs and processes developed in fab labs can be protected and sold
however an inventor chooses, but should remain available for individuals to use and learn from.
* How can businesses use a fab lab? Commercial activities can be prototyped and incubated in a fab lab, but
they must not confict with other uses, they should grow beyond rather than within the lab, and they are
expected to beneft the inventors, labs, and networks that contribute to their success
August 14, 2012
Condizioni per essere un FabLab: valutazioni
Also note, that the label is "Fab Lab" (or Fablab or
FabLab) and that you are not entitled to use
anything like "MIT Fab Lab" etc. However, you can
always say that your Fab Lab is modeled after the
MIT concept or anything along these lines.
NON é MIT
Non MIT: Fab Foundation
International FabLab Association
* Is the machine right for your activities?
* Are the specifcations of the machine right for
* Is the machine part of the ofcial list?
* Is the machine compatible with Fab Modules?
* Is the machine easy to install?
* Is the machine easy to run?
* Is the machine cheap enough for you?
* Is the machine popular enough?
* Is the machine popular with the FabLabs you
will be collaborating the most?
* Will the machine arrive on time?
Criteri per la scelta delle macchine
Fab Lab logo: (nessun) trademark
* (Connect to local and regional networks)
* Look for local resources
* Look for the right people
* Design activities, services and features
* Design the business model
* Prepare the space
* Open the space
* Further develop the space and machines
* Connect to local and regional networks
Un possibile processo
* Identify a host agency to host and take ownership
of the Fab Lab
* Identify the right champion to lead this Fab Lab
* Finalize partnership/ contractual agreements
* Secure funding for this Fab Lab
* Identify and prepare site
* Procure, install and commission the Fab Lab
* Train the trainers (technical and management)
* Identify projects
* Launch the Fab Lab
Un altro possibile processo
* Start from the local conditions
* Think about the community and get it involved
* Develop the service, the business model and then
the business plan
* Beware of the hidden costs!
* Plan enough time for the development of the lab
* Balance the team and the resources
* Choose carefully the tools
* It’s not over yet when you buy the machines
* Be part of the network and learn from others
* Test the machines and the processes before
10 cose da considerare...
* The Enabler business model: launch new Labs or provide maintenance,
supply chain or similar services for existing Labs.
* The Education business model: a global distributed model of education
through Fab Labs (with the Fab Academy) where global experts in particular
topics can deliver training from local Fab Labs or even from
universities/businesses via the Fab Lab video conferencing network.
* The Incubator business model: provide infrastructure for entrepreneurs to
turn their Fab Lab creations into sustainable businesses. The incubator
provides back-ofce infrastructure, promotion & marketing, seed capital, the
leverage of the Fab Lab network and other venture infrastructure to enable
the entrepreneur to focus on her areas of expertise.
* The Replicated / Network business model: provide a product, service or
curriculum that operates by utilizing the infrastructure, staf and expertise of
a local Fab Lab. Such opportunities can be replicated, sold by and executed at
many (or all) local Labs, with sustainable revenue at each location. The
leverage of all Labs in the network simultaneously promoting and delivering
the business creates strength and reach for the brand.
* N essuna (il lab é parte di una istituzione)
* A ssociazione
* C ooperativa