1. ¿Can we really measure theimpact of creativity anddesign on innovation?Case Study: México. Marco Ferruzca, Jorge Rodríguez and Christof Göebel (UAM-Azc)
2. BACKGROUNDLiving in a creativeknowledge era
3. Creativity & Designhave gained importance in the last yearsInterest PepsiCo Creates Chief Design Officer Role 3M Guru Porcini Will Build Design Culture Spanning Everything From Packaging to Digital Experiences Time
4. CreativeCities Creative CitiesNetwork (UNESCO)Toward more http://www.citiesinstitute.org/competitive economies
5. MeasuringCreativity, Design and Innovation in the Cities
6. GCI Global Creativity Index“The rise of the creative class” (Florida 2002).We live in a “Creative Age”. Florida’s thesis iscentered on: Technology, Talent and Tolerance.He is interested in studying the concentrationof “creative individuals” in different regions.The “creative class” has strong influence inmaking a region prosper economically.3T Driven Innovation
7. A Design, Creativity & Innovation ScoreboardCreative climate matters!!! Inno Metrics: DCI From a rather different perspective Hollanders & Van Cruysen (2009) have proposed an ad hoc scoreboard approach.
8. CCI Creative City Index projects. It differs from most indexes by looking at the city places by exploring their urban dynamics, processes and Indicator Brief description “The Creative City Index assesses the creative pulse of Political & public fram ework Measures the role of political and public infrastructure, including hum an resources, to as an integrated whole from an insider and outsider perspective through a series ten broad crosscutting incentive creativity in a place. Distinctiveness, diversity, vitality & ex pression This indicator m easures if the cultural offering in a place is wide and it welcom es debate and critical thinking. Outsiders coex ist in harm ony with local habitants. Openness, trust, accessibility & participation This indicator m easures the way society, institutions and organizations operate to create domains” (Landry and Hyams 2012). an enabling environm ent com posed by people from a diversity of backgrounds. Entrepreneurship, ex ploration & innovation Measures the entrepreneurship culture in a place. Also, it looks for information regarding the developm ent of R&D and innovation. Strategic leadership, agility & vision Measures aspects linked to build a strong sense of vision for a place, where thinking is strategic and future proofing. Talent developm ent & the learning landscape This indicator is linked to the quality of learning and knowledge produced in a creative place. Com m unication, connectivity, networking & Even when learning and knowledge production media is im portant in a place, lik ewise technology is crucial for its developm ent. The place & place-making Measures urban characteristics of a place. Liveability & well-being It is about the quality of life in a place. Professionalism & effectiveness It is about doing things with professionalism and quality.Feel the city!!!
9. InternationalDesign Moultrie and his team have developed an international design scoreboard for measuring the design capability of design in countries.Scoreboard Indicator Comments Total public investm ent in design promotion Authors considered investm ent only by the and support government and recognized national institutes. Total number of design graduates It includes: graphic/ communication design, interior design, industrial/ product design, digital/ web/ media design, fashion design. Total number of WIPO design registrations WIPO was the only source considered because it represents an international route for design registration. Total number of WIPO trademarks WIPO was the only source considered because it registrations represents an international route for trademark registration. Total number of design firms It includes: graphic/ communication design, interior design, industrial/ product design, digital/ web/ media design, fashion design. Total turnover of the design services sector Total employment in design services Employment should include all employees, not just those engaged in design
10. México In the Global Creativity Index Global R&D investment 49 /82 62 82 Global researchers 49 /82 Global innovation 74 / 177Technology index
11. México In the Global Creativity Index65 82 Human Capital 58 over 82 Creative ClassTalent index 58 over 82
12. México In the Global Creativity Index Tolerance toward ethnic and racial 36 minorities 52 over 82 Tolerance toward gays and lesbians 82 23 over 82Tolerance index
13. MéxicoIn the Global Creativity Index61 82
14. 107 46 76 .78% 73 142 142 Production process Articles per million population 142 National Institute of Statistic (INEGI)Quality of Educational System sophistication Capacity of Innovation ? 8.38 Uniqueness of product design Number of resident patent filings per million population México Share of tertiary In the Design, Creativity and education enrollment by fields: HAE = 14.6% 608 4.07 Innovation Scoreboard Health = 9.7% SS, B & L = 38.7% trademark applications per million population 7 Extent of Staff Training I N N O M e t r i c s Services 3.3% Engineering, manufacturing and construction = .73% Share of foreign 19.3% tertiary students (7689)
15. CONCLUSIONS There are not enough approaches to measure the impact of creativity and design linked to the innovation capacity of a city. Yes, we can measure creativity, design and innovation with existing frameworks but the picture is not complete…you have to live the city. Existing frameworks does not capture the whole creative spirit of a city. A lot of things to do but without loosing our origins.
16. CONCLUSIONS Informal economy
17. Community driven projects:Santa Barbara Neighborhood
18. Design & Crafts Multidisciplinary Program
19. Factories of Arts & Handcrafts Network
20. National Center of Innovation andCraft Development:- You can buy handcrafts- Kids learn craft techniques & legacy- Laboratory for developing new techniques- Supported by public administration