1. Smart Ci)es: Open Innova)on, Living Labs & Future Internet Crea)ng a Connected Smart Ci)es Por=olio Network Dave Carter, Head, Manchester Digital Development Agency (MDDA) City of Manchester (UK) Chair, Smart Ci5es PorLolio Working Group On behalf of EUROCITIES Future Internet Research and Experimenta4on By Adop4ng Living Labs 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
2. Smart City Agendas • Smart, inclusive & sustainable growth • Green & Digital • Transforma)onal services • Open innova)on, open data, open networks SeLng the context • mapping current experience & knowledge • iden)fying challenges and opportuni)es • crea)ng open networks for Smart City collabora)on • ini)a)ng and facilita)ng the Connected Smart Ci)es Network 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
3. What can Smart Ci)es be about? • Usage of digital spaces and technologies to enhance the city and city life • Digital dimensions of ci)es – the new intelligence of ci)es • Future Internet as medium & catalyst for organizing collec)ve intelligence of ci)es • Local Digital Agendas to promote future city innova)on strategies • Smart people and smart technologies: making ci)es become smarter together • Smart ci)zens in smart ci)es – urban OPEN systems 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
4. The CIP Smart Ci)es Por=olio Projects 2010
5. The CIP Smart Ci)es Por=olio Projects 2011 CITADEL ... on the move – high speed mobile apps City SDK ... Smart City Service Developer Kit – open source Smart City apps ecosystem Commons 4 Europe ... Code Commons – collabora)ve web + Bo[om-‐Up-‐Broadband Commons iCity ... Linked Open Apps Ecosystem to open up Innova)on in Smart Ci)es i-‐SCOPE ... Interoperable Smart City Services through an Open Pla=orm for Urban Ecosystems LiveCity ... Live Video-‐to-‐Video suppor)ng Interac)ve City Infrastructure
6. Urban Open Systems • Smart Ci)es: – Smart: innova)on, inven)on & entrepreneurship – Inclusive: mul)ple depriva)on & scale of social exclusion in urban areas – Sustainable: ci)es generate 75%+ of emissions = problem & solu)on • Ci)es as engines of regional growth = Smart Regions • Urban Open Systems = People + Open Data + Co-‐produc)on – “From Human Factors to Human Actors” Bannon, J Liam. 1991. “The Role of Psychology and Human-‐Computer Interac4on Studies in System Design”.
7. Smart Ci)es Roadmap Key drivers: • Socio-‐economic ambi)ons of large ci)es / city marke)ng • Need for connectedness (ci)es – rural areas – regions) • Next genera)on access deployment experiences, need for applica)ons pull aher the infrastructure • Technology push: need to create experimenta)on environments to s)mulate innova)on • Ci)zen engagement, empowerment & par)cipa)on • Economic development & regenera)on: jobs & skills 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
8. Connected Smart Ci)es in Europe – FIREBALL ’Core Ci5es’ examples The Helsinki Open Future Internet innova)on ecosystem The Smart City vision of Manchester – Local Digital Agenda Smart Energy of Amsterdam A business eco-‐system of Smart Grids of Lisboa Digital spaces and ICT to enhance the city life of Barcelona www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
9. Smart City aspira)ons • Connected smart ci)es network • 5 ci)es involved in benchmarking • 50 ci)es involved in EU supported projects • Digital Agenda for Europe ‘Going Really Local’ • Future Internet enabled services & applica)ons • ‘Inﬁnite Bandwidth, Zero Latency’ – IBZL • Internet of Things, Cloud, open data, 3D prin)ng, nano… • Local Digital Agendas • Inter-‐connected ac)on plans for networked ci)es • Mutual support, advocacy & mentoring
10. Smart City development -‐ future vision: • Using Future Internet to transform the way we live and work • more ﬂexible ways and loca5ons of working: smart mobility, smart environments, smart learning • Co-‐designing and co-‐producing services for ourselves and others • new services being designed and delivered by users, e.g. e-‐health and telecare services • Enabling our environments to be greener, cleaner and healthier • smart buildings, smart energy, low-‐carbon neighbourhoods • Making smart ci)es more democra)c, resilient and a[rac)ve • social networking to promote civic engagement • Genera)ng and celebra)ng crea)vity, innova)on and diversity • arts and culture linked to technology suppor5ng jobs and skills
11. Expected results from Smart City networking • A European-‐wide community of Future Internet Innova)on cons)uencies (FIRE, Living Labs and Smart Ci)es) • A common vision and shared agenda by these cons)uencies • Showcases to represent innova)ve uses and future needs of Future Internet in Smart Ci)es • Iden)fying common concepts, methodologies, tools and processes enabling collabora)ve working for Future Internet Innova)on • A sustainable Connected European Smart Ci)es Network • A roadmap and ac)on plan for enabling Future Internet open innova)on for Smart Ci)es 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
12. April: Green Digital Charter and Smart Ci)es networking May 9th/10th: FIREBALL with Smart Ci)es Por=olio Working Group and Future Internet PPP (FI-‐PP) at Future Internet Assembly in Aalborg, Denmark May 22nd-‐23rd: FIREBALL at ”User-‐driven Open Innova)on ecosystems: go really local – across borders” special event organised by EU projects APOLLON, FIREBALL and Open Ci)es with ENoLL and EUROCITIES in collabora)on with EC DG INFSO in Mechelen (near Brussels), Belgium June: Intelligent Communi)es Forum (ICF) Global Conference, New York Meet up 2012 20100930 www.ﬁreball4smartci5es.eu
13. Forthcoming Living Lab events Registra5ons open! • May 21st a_ernoon session on ‘Smart Ci5es & Sustainability – Partnering for the Future (ENoLL, EBN, Coventry City Lab) in Brussels (BE) • May 22-‐23rd ‘User Driven Open Innova5on Ecosystems go Local’ (Apollon, Fireball, Open Ci5es, Euroci5es and ENoLL, supported by DG Informa5on Society) in Mechelen (BE) • August 20-‐23rd ENoLL 3rd Living Lab Summer School in Helsinki (Finland)
14. User-‐Driven Open Innova5on Ecosystems go Local! Smart ci)zens in smart ci)es and communi)es co-‐crea)ng future Internet-‐enabled services 2-‐day Interac5ve conference on Open Innova5on for Future Internet in Smart Ci5es and Communi5es. Targeted to public organisa5ons, SME, corpora5on, academic, and crea5ve ci5zen a unique chance to get involved in shaping Europes user-‐driven open innova5on ecosystems, an exci5ng range of world-‐class keynotes, concrete results and demos, and many interac5ve sessions: – Launch of smart care, energy, manufacturing and media networks that support cross-‐border Living Lab tes5ng by innova5ve SMEs – Results of user-‐driven open innova5on in the Public Sector, crea5ng Future Internet Services for Smart Ci5es – Launch of the European Smart City and Future Internet roadmap – Results of the 6th Wave of new members of the Network, and facilitate a range of new proposal development opportuni5es – Launch of the European Ci5es Community Research and Innova5on Ini5a5ve – Facilita5on of a range of new proposal development opportuni5es May 22-‐ 23rd in Mechelen (North of Brussels) in Belgium Registra5ons open now!
15. Smart Ci5es & Sustainability Partnering for the Future Event is co-‐organised by Coventry University in partnership with The European Business Network (EBN) and the European Network of Living Labs (ENoLL) aiming to provide insight to a number of these global societal challenges; gain input from the community and act as a springboard to encourage partnership development for the future and discuss how to beier address these future challenges in themes such as: – Transport in the City – Hydrogen Fuel Cells, the Future – Low Impact Buildings – The Ageing Society: How to make longevity an asset? – Digicity – game based technology hits the city – Agroecology and urban food security May 21st in Brussels (BE). Registra5ons open!
16. 3rd ENoLL Living Lab Summer School & Research Day Interes)ng and inspiring 4-‐day programme with the Pre-‐summer School workshop, con5nuing with three main Summer school days oﬀering: – Several workshops, – Presenta5ons and excursions and site-‐visits with the aim of giving the par5cipants a wider insight about models, theories and technologies related to Living Labs – Opportunity to gain hands-‐on experience from the leading experts on the subject – Change to network with other Living Lab enthusiasts 1. Research Day: The pre-‐summer school invites everyone to present papers and ac)vi)es related to Living Labs 2. The 3-‐day Summer School gives an opportunity to present, develop, bench-‐mark and discuss ma[ers related to Innova)on and Living Labs August 20-‐24th, organised in Espoo and Helsinki (FI) Registra)ons open now!
17. Future Internet Research & Experimenta)on By Adop)ng Living Labs Thank You! email@example.com