Introduction to the Digital Liberal Arts
MDST 3703 / 7703
• Don’t forget response triads!
– Post your comments on the week after studio (e.g.
– Response to colleagues’ posts sometime on Friday
• What are blogs?
– Form: posts in reverse order, RSS, trackbacks, tags
– Content: informal + public (liminal), personal
broadcasting, global vs. historical consciousness
– Function/effects: what is the place of blogging in
the information ecology?
• Witnessing – each person an eye on the world
• Same role as public opinion? (Toqueville)
• Question on the table: Are blogs suitable for
• Follow up on seminar – “function” of blogging
– Using RSS to connect your WordPress sites to
other resources, e.g. Delicious
– Using ScribeFire
– Using Diigo and WebSlides
The Great Chain of Blogging
and op eds
on the news
The Great Chain of Blogging (ii)
Investigative Journalism, Citizen
Dan Rather incident
Daily Kos, Huffington
• Academic bloggers connected to …
– Other bloggers
– Digital collections
• … through RSS, Plain Old Linking …
Exercise —Find online Academic
• Do this as a team
– One person on the computer
– One person documenting the results
• Go online and find academic journals that
match your topics (as a group)
– Use Delicious to bookmark them
– Tag them with MDST3703
– Document your results with a post
A particular slide catching your eye?
Clipping is a handy way to collect important slides you want to go back to later.