Designing Your Email Program
from Online Outreach to
the Welcome Message
Sales & Strategy | eROI
Twitter - @alexcwilliams & @eROI
(it works and it’s cheap)
During a time when all marketers need to be smart with every
dollar they spend, email is one of the few “go-to” tools with
dramatically low cost and instantaneous accountability.
*Blessing and a Curse*
What’s the value of an email address?
- Email Marketing: an Hour a Day by Jeanniey Mullen and David Daniels).
Your opt-in form needs to stand out in a crowd.
Every Page is a Landing Page:
Tips for Opt-In on your Website
1. Call out your Email Opt-in on every page of your site.
2. Don’t expect them to find it (or read)
3. Links to samples are effective
4. Give subscribers choices! e.g. frequency (daily, weekly, monthly), event
5. Tell them specifically what they’re signing up for & how often
they’ll hear from you. Keep that promise.
6. Don’t make someone register (user/pass) for email
7. Remember, you can get more information later
Eight Steps to More Effective Welcome E-mails
1. Send your welcome message within 24 hours to people who sign up for your e-
2. Provide a link to your preference center so subscribers can manage their
3. Include a welcome offer or other incentive to make a purchase; be creative about
incorporating this offer into the subject line without making it too long to display in
4. Provide subscribers with information on the types of content they can expect to
receive from you and how frequently.
5. Include white-listing instructions so subscribers can keep your e-mails out of their
6. Although welcome messages likely are considered transactional under the CAN-
SPAM Act, it’s still smart to include an opt-out link in case people change their
minds about subscribing.
7. Try to personalize the content for maximum relevancy and subscriber retention.
8. Tell subscribers how you intend to use their e-mail addresses or provide a link to
A Welcome Message Study: Marketers Are Missing Opportunities to Pave the Road to Relevancy Return Path