1. Social Media for
11 March 2010
By Omid Feyli
• What is Social Media?
• What are the pros and cons of this tool?
• How can we apply this communication
• What package suits us best?
• Is it time consuming? Yes!
• How to deal with the time problem?
3. Social Media Landscape!
4. How to apply?
> Academic Knowledge
> Events and gained results
• NETWORKING AND INFLUENCE
> First follow then lead (purchase data!)
> Create awareness
> Create communities
5. How to publish?
> Blogger & Wikipedia
• Content (Scientific & Real Life
> DO NOT publish a commercial!!!!
> Collect content from scientific
> Look for HOT scientific items
> Involve scientific colleagues when the
content is interesting for your target
> Publish students’ experiences! (???)
6. How to share?
> Slideshare, Youtube & Flickr
> Interesting presentations
• You can be commercial!
• Scientific item (must be interesting!)
• Present yourself, the programme
and even professors (???)
• Recent events
• Classes, projects, interviews with
employees, (guest) lecture(s) etc.
7. How to Network and Influence?
> LinkedIn, Facebook & Twitter
• If necessary, purchase data!
• Work on your personal branding
• Work on your (personal) network
• Use the content that you have published
• Dialogue rather than monologue
• People can monitor your (online)
• Challenging but Effective & Efficient
• LinkedIn (Business wise)
> Dynamic (online) business card
> Find your (previous) colleagues
> Exchange information with experts
> Join groups in your professional area
> Recommend your suppliers (the
programme, professors etc.)
> (Online) networking
> Relations management
> Customers management (Key
> Search Engine Presence
• Twitter (Personal & Business wise)
> Create short and effective message
> Keep in touch with your target audience
> Know what people are doing
> Interesting leaders have interesting
> Tweet your available content that you
have published and shared before!
> Tweet about relevant events
> DO NOT follow “the world”
> Try to be proactive!
> Is your biggest leads generator ever!
> Purchase relevant data
• Based on you target
> Integrate the content you have
published and shared before
> Create awareness
> First ask than answer
> Show interest
11. The total package
• Gather content, publish, share and
12. Efficiency and Effectiveness
• Set up clear objectives for this matter
• Gather and create relevant content
• Share internally a database for content
• Educate your colleagues to join en to help
• Make use of key students and colleagues
• Reward people who put effort and help
• Be proactive and spontaneous
• Time management within this area is a
• Have a (customised) time planning
13. Be Aware!!
• Personal and Business confusion
• Scope of engagement
• People are watching & observing
• Try before you die (???) experimenting
• Whatever is online stays online
• DO NOT rush!
14. Only then you have a RESULT
• Combine Initiatives
• Position yourselves as a TEAM
• Create power by sharing internally
15. End (social media never ends!)
• Feel free to invite me!
• Omid Feyli (Tilburg School of Humanities,
International Relations Office)
> omid.feyli on Skype