Managing publicity & pr with social media (nigeria)
Martins Stanislaus Olusegun
Our solutions are rooted in
the consumer journey…
engaging works and media neutral solutions
Customers want to keep in touch with your brand. It’s
your mission to uphold, defend, promote and
communicate the message of your brand at all levels.
But the days of uni-directional public relations are long
gone. Today, digital audiences seek tight-knit, one-to-
one privileged communication with companies. All at
the speed of the Internet. But relationship based
communication and protection at scale can only be
achieved through social channels.
A short story
“….it’s just unbelievable”
-Victor ( Small Business Owner )
• The deliberate attempt to
manage the public's
perception of your
• The act of attracting the
media attention and
gaining visibility with the
• “Free Advertising” Via
• Increase sales
• Helps build interest
in your business
• It’s free ??
• Increase traffic to
Don’t Just Jump in.
• Start with your strategy.
• Anyone can set up a Twitter or Facebook account
but you need a strategy to make it a success.
• If you treat social media as a key part of your PR and
wider business strategy you can achieve real business
• Largest Social Network. – 12.2 Million Nigerians
• Great for making a connection with your clients
• Open a business page, not a personal page.
• Give your page a purpose - Share regular and
great content – Secret hereis engagement
• Make sure you deliver value, people expect
ongoing interactions that rewards their
• 140 characters limitation - Be creative.
• Rapidly build a loyal following and connect with customers
• Journalist love Twitter – Find them, follow them
• Leave enough space for the people to RT @yourusername
to make your content spreadable
• Use #
• Strong focus on Business Networking.
• Join Industry Groups.
• Use the answers section.
• Participate in discussions.
• Don’t spam.
4.8 million Nigerians
• Video Hub
• Push for people to subscribe
• Video can help inform, educate and entertain your
TA. – Shareable content
• Doesn’t have to be expensive
• Range from satisfied
customers to loyal brand
• Acknowledge user’s
comment (Like or Retweet).
• Reply with thanks or
additional information to
• Neither congratulatory nor
defamatory; rather factual.
• Could also be a basic or
• Acknowledge all questions and
resolve them to show the
community that the brand
addresses their concerns.
• Dissatisfaction with brand’s product or service.
Always acknowledge negative posts, never delete.
• Show the community that users’ concern is
important and will be addressed.
• Offensive or inappropriate posts: document post via
screenshot, delete from wall, send private message
to user explaining reason for deletion.
• Abusive comments or serious user aggression should
be escalated for immediate response.
• If immediate response is not possible, place
empathetic holding message. Ensure user feels heard
and query is taken seriously.
• Further communication with user should take place
offline, but comment thread should be wrapped up on
• Document incident via screenshot for reporting.